Dreambox DM 8000 HD & 8PSK

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elzipa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
Near Calgary, AB
A question about Dreambox DM 8000 HD... If I get one of these receiver do I still need to buy an 8PSK module or it is incorporated in the receiver already?

I suspect few members have the DM 8000, if any.
A search of the FTA forum departments didn't come up with any real useful info on 'em.

Just looked at the specs, and they are somewhat better than the AZbox (that has so many tongues wagging), but many aspects were not spelled out.
We have lengthy review of the $300 AZ on site, but no info on the $1100 DM8000.

If you get one, we would be most interested in your comments. - :cool:

I'm with you Anole I prefer Dreambox to the AZ box. I've had a DM500s for years but the 8000 is a bit pricey especially as the spec seems to alter. I thought DVB S2 was Q and 8PSK receivable. here's the spec from the "manufacturer". I wonder if there are more than one model as I have seen adverts saying the processor was 731Mhz and there is a PAL I version. There is certainly some questions that need answering before I part with my $$$.

Hauptmerkmal ist der 400 MHz starke Prozessor, die Dreambox DM8000 unterstützt die Linux TV API

• MPEG-2 / H.264 Decoding
  • 10/100MBit kompatibles Ethernet Interface
  • DVD, vorbereitet
  • Twin-DVB-S2 Tuner
  • zusätzlich optional DVB-C oder DVB-T
  • steck- und mischbar, Plug&Play
  • 4 x Common Interface
  • mit großem OLED Display

Technische Highlights

• 400 MHz MIPS Prozessor
  • Linux Operating System
  • brilliantes OLED - Display
  • MPEG-2 / H.264 Hardware decoding
  • TWIN DVB-S2 Tuner
  • 2 x Plug&Play Tuner Module Sockel
    optional für DVB-S, DVB-C oder DVB-T
  • 4 x DVB Common-Interface Einschub
  • 2 x Smartcard-Reader (Dreamcrypt CA)
  • Anschluss V.24/RS232
  • Integrierter Compact Flash Leser (Einschub von vorne)
  • Integrierter SD-Karten Leser (Einschub von vorne)
  • 10/100 MBit kompatibler Ethernet Interface
  • 3 x USB (1 x Front, 2 x Rückseite)
  • S/PDIF optischer Anschluss AC-3
  • 2 x Scart-Anschluss
  • S-Video
  • YPrPb (Component)
  • DVI
  • analoger Audio/Video Cinch out
  • 128 MByte Flash, 256 MByte RAM (Arbeitsspeicher)
  • 2 x SATA
    - Festplattenunterstützung für alle üblichen Größen (3,5 Zoll)
    - SATA SlimLine DVD
  • eingebautes WiFi (Mini-PCI Sockel incl. Antennen)
  • unlimitierte Kanalliste für TV/Radio
  • Kanalwechsel in weniger als einer Sekunde
  • automatischer Kanalsuchlauf
  • Unterstützung von Bouquet-Listen
  • EPG-Unterstützung (electronic program guide)
  • eigener Videotext Decoder
  • Unterstützung von mehrfach LNB-Umschaltung (DiSEqC)
  • OSD in vielen Sprachen und Skin-Unterstützung

DreamBox DM8000 Technische Daten

DVB-S2 Tuner:
Eingangsfrequenzbereich 950...2150 MHz
QPSK Demodulation nach EN 302 307
Eingangspegelbereich - 65 dBm...- 25 dBm
Rauschmaß 12 dB max.
DBS-Tuner Eingang F-Buchse
Eingangsimpedanz 75 Ohm
AFC-Fangbereich +/- 3 MHz
Demodulation Shaped QPSK und 8PSK
FEC Viterbi und Reed-Solomon
Viterbiraten 1/4, 1/3, 2/5, 1/2, 3/5, 2/3, 3/4, 4/5, 5/6, 8/9
Roll-off Factor 35 %
Common-Interface:
Common-Interface Stromverbrauch max. 0,3A/5V
Videodekodierung:
Videokompression MPEG-2 / H.264 und MPEG-1 kompatibel
Videostandard PAL G/ 25 Hz, NTSC
Bildformat 4:3 / 16:9
Letterbox für 4:3 TV-Geräte
Audiokodierung:
Audiokompression MPEG-1 & MPEG-2 Layer I und II, MP3
Audio Mode Dual (main/sub), Stereo
Abtastfrequenzen 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz
Ausgang Analog:
Ausgangspegel L/R 0,5 Vss an 600 Ohm
THD > 60 dB (1 kHz)
Übersprechen < -65 dB
Ausgang Digital:
Ausgangspegel 0,5 Vss an 75 Ohm
Abtastfrequenzen 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz
S/PDIF-Ausgang optisch, coaxial (AC3)
Video-Parameter:
Eingangspegel FBAS 1 Vss +/- 0.3 dB an 75 Ohm
Teletext entsprechend ETS 300 472 Standard
TV-Scart:
Ausgang: FBAS, RGB, S-Video über OSD wählbar
VCR-Scart:
FBAS
Serielle Schnittstelle RS 232:
Typ RS232 bi-direktional
Bitrate 115,2 kBit/s max.
Steckverbinder SUB-D-9 Buchse
Funktion: Update der Betriebssoftware
Ethernet:
10/100 MBit kompatibles Interface
Funktion: Update der Betriebssoftware
USB:
USB 2.0 Anschluss (3x)
SATA Schnittstelle:
Anschluss für interne Festplatte
Compact Flash - Reader
SD Card - Reader
LNB Stromversorgung pro Tuner:
LNB Strom 500mA max. ; kurzschlussfest
LNB Spannung vertikal < 14V ohne Last, > 11,5V bei 400mA
LNB Spannung horizontal < 20V ohne Last, > 17,3V bei 400mA
LNB Abschaltung im Standby-Modus
Anzahl aktiver Satellitenpositionen:
DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/1.2 und USALS (Rotor-Steuerung)
Leistungsaufnahme:
< 30W (im Betrieb, horizontal Polarisation / 400mA LNB Strom)
< 26W (im Betrieb, ohne LNB)
< 2W (Deep-Standby-Mode)
OLED - Display:
Das OLED Display hat eine erwartete Lebenszeit von bis zu 55.000 Stunden bei 50% Helligkeit und 25°C Raumtemperatur.
Eingangsspannung:
230V / 50 Hz Wechselspannung +/- 15%
110V / 60 Hz Wechselspannung +/- 15%
Allgemeines:
Umgebungstemperatur +15°C...+35°C
Luftfeuchtigkeit < 80%
Abmessungen (B x T x H): 430 mm x 280 mm x 90 mm
Gewicht: 3,0 kg ohne HDD u. DVD

http://satlex.de/en/azel_calc.html

Just looked at the specs, and they are somewhat better than the AZbox .....

I'm with you Anole I prefer Dreambox to the AZ box. .....

The main reason that people are excited about the Azbox is that it does 4.2.2 on DVB S2 transponders, which no other consumer receiver does. I don't see 4.2.2 listed in the above specs, so I wouldn't consider the specs to be better than the Azbox, unless this turns out to be an unlisted capability.

Another reason why the Azbox is rather unique is that it's ethernet connection can be used to play audio/video/media, and is extremely handy for accessing the OS files, etc. From the above spec, it looks like the ethernet port is only used for software downloads, although my German is extremely limited despite having struggled through 3 years of it in college some 40+ years ago. Anyway, until I hear otherwise, I think the ethernet capability on the Azbox sounds better.

The one reason that might make this better than the Azbox is if it ends up actually being able to record high bitrate HD, however if it doesn't do 4.2.2, there are much cheaper alternatives.

But if it has 4.2.2 it's certainly worth a 2nd look.

From a cursory look, the DM 8000 appeared to have two satellite tuners.
It also had more USB connectors, a flash card slot, as well as somewhere to plug in an internal hard drive.
Neither seems to offer a proper ATSC tuner for North American off-the-air reception.

The DM8000 didn't appear to have an HDMI video/audio connector, and I believe the AZbox does.

At over three times the price of the AZbox, the DM 8000 didn't offer blind scan.
So, I did not take the DM 8000 as a serious contender for my dollars.

Again, I just gave the DreamBox a quick look, and will not defend nor argue the above points.
Once I saw the price, that pretty much ended my first look. :rolleyes:

The azbox does have HDMI. That is how I have mine hooked up

and not having 4:2:2 takes it out of my book. With so many sportsfeeds in 4:2:2, that is almost a necessity if you want a game from a big network. Still lots of games in 4:2:0

. With so many sportsfeeds in 4:2:2, that is almost a necessity if you want a game from a big network. Still lots of games in 4:2:0

That's the reason I want an AZBox. I don't need one right now, but I want something that does 4:2:2 and I figure an AZBox will be less likely to be upgraded/replaced in the near future than most other boxes out there.

Now, if I can only get something to record high bit-rate feeds, that would be awesome. As it is, if I want to record something with a staggering bit-rate with the diamond, I have to feed it through the Tivo and record that way which sucks considering the quality I lose.

The azbox plays high bit rates fine so I just use a separate DVD recorder/hard drive :)

What kind of input does your separate recorder have? Ie does it record HD?
I'm also curious relative to the new breed of TIVOs. I have 3 old SA TIVOs for SD stuff, but would like TIVO capability on HD, but the last time I checked, I didn't think the HD TIVOs would take any kind of an HD input that I could send it, ie either a network stream, component or HDMI. I think they only work off OTA ATSC signals or something like that.
Does anyone know of any device that will give TIVO PVR capability from a high bitrate HD FTA satellite receiver.

This is the first year in years that I think I'm going to be forced to revert to the NFL Sunday Ticket, instead of watching sat feeds. I can still *WATCH* the sat feeds, but I can't delay them to sync with home team radio off Sirius. In past years, before things were in 4.2.2, I could delay a stream to a Roku or PopcornHour, but I can't stream high bitrate 4.2.2, so I'm stuck with using a TIVO on the SD Sunday Ticket signal (ie I'd rather watch SD with local audio than watch HD with those network idiots on audio).
I keep hoping that new Azbox firmware will come out that will permit me to delay video/ record high bitrate, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future.

The main reason that people are excited about the Azbox is that it does 4.2.2 on DVB S2 transponders, which no other consumer receiver does. I don't see 4.2.2 listed in the above specs, so I wouldn't consider the specs to be better than the Azbox, unless this turns out to be an unlisted capability.

Absolutely correct BJ. I can see how a lack of 4.2.2 would upset some users

Another reason why the Azbox is rather unique is that it's ethernet connection can be used to play audio/video/media, and is extremely handy for accessing the OS files, etc.

All dreamboxes can use the ethernet to play audio/video/media and accessing OS and the 8000 has a DVD drive, also capable of playing Blueray. It is unfair to compare the AZ with the DM 8000 there are far cheaper models comparable to the AZ box with the exception of 4.2.2. Dreambox I believe was designed for the European , Japanese and Australian market hence the lack of 4.2.2

dtv pal dvr:

It only records OTA (HD or SD), but has been on the market long enough to perhaps matured.
DTV PAL DVR by Dish Network, in stock at Sears.

If these features were integrated into any of the receivers discussed here, their value would be raised significantly.

The proper forum to actually discuss it or get more info, is our OTA HD department, and here is a useful thread located there.

I just mention the box as an alternative, for those who may have a use.

looked at the 800 before going with the az.
from what i understood it would pick up 422 and record it but not display it. you could stream to your pc and play it in a buffer/delay mode.don't know about S-2 stuff.
all that was way to much for me,i just want to watch TV.
they love'm in Europe.
guess if i was young more of a computer person might be different.
but i really don't want a box that's hooked up to the net, it's just not right. i watched to much si-fi growing up.

A question about Dreambox DM 8000 HD... If I get one of these receiver do I still need to buy an 8PSK module or it is incorporated in the receiver already?

To answer the original question:

Neither the DM 800 or DM 8000 will do North American 8psk with the built in tuner.
However you can purchase an external USB Skywalker1 by Genpix and that will work with both the 800 or 8000.

The 800 and 8000 are the 2 newest boxes from Dream Multimedia that will output HD.

I don't have either one of these boxes so I'm just going off what I've seen on other sites.

I believe Dish uses Turbo-FEC which is non standard and that is why the skywalker is needed with the DM 800 + 8000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Viewsat UL, Hispasat, Cubavision, JSC321S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)