Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I was seriously looking at getting a Droid X to replace my iPhone.

However after reading this maybe not..

Motorola Is Willing To Break the Phone They Just Sold You

Getting a droid is getting confusing, they seem to be coming out with new phones ever 3 week which are more powerfull them the last... I see the Droid X has a 1 Ghz processor, but I see another Droid phone that is coming out in a few months that has a 2 Ghz processor.

To me the entire droid thing is very confusing...

I was seriously looking at getting a Droid X to replace my iPhone.

However after reading this maybe not..

Motorola Is Willing To Break the Phone They Just Sold You

Getting a droid is getting confusing, they seem to be coming out with new phones ever 3 week which are more powerfull them the last... I see the Droid X has a 1 Ghz processor, but I see another Droid phone that is coming out in a few months that has a 2 Ghz processor.

To me the entire droid thing is very confusing...

the lock is why i am holding out for the galaxy s

but the galaxy s2 is rumored to be so great that i dont know if i should wait or not

I posted on the locked bootloader the other day; it is going to make it darn near impossible for there to be custom roms for the Droid X; a damn shame, since the rom modders do some great work.

I saw that gizmodo is down on the Droid X, and for good reason, the Canadian cousin to the Moto Droid, the Milestone, has that same damn locked bootloader. But I suspect the Droid X is a helluva device.

The Droid 2 is coming in a month, looks like the Droid 1, but has an improved slide out keyboard, and runs at 800Mhz natively. Plus more memory.

I am not sure why you are so confused about Android; it is an OS that integrates with google services (google mail, calendar, maps, etc...); it has icons like your iphone, but it also has customized apps (widgets) that can be on one of as many as 9 home home screens. It has a marketplace that is synced to your google account, so if you get a new phone, log-in, and any apps will automatically download; with a rooted phone, with super-user access, you can over-clock (my 600mhz droid runs on demand at 800mhz; you can go as high as 1.2Ghz on the droid); you can wirelessly - or wired via usb - tether.

Oh, and you can hold the phone any darn way you want without losing bars. :)

I use the ipod touch OS, and while it has its niceties, I find the icon-only interface limiting. And I like having the four buttons on the bottom of my screen.

Rocky its not just a locked bootloader, there is a fuse that will blow on the phone and kill the phone if the phone detects your trying to modify the software.

The confusion on the Android is because there are a bunch of different Android phones and each seems to have their own OS and own specs and in reading some things work on one android device but dont work at all on.

Scott, there are reports that the "kill switch" is total conjecture, and NOT true.

See: Enough with the eFuse DROID X Talk Already - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

It has the same bootloader as the Milestone, and no milestones have turned into bricks from attempting to decrypt them.

I would suggest that you give the phone a look. Unlike the iphone, which you know will only get new hardware yearly, you are in the year of the droid, and I would expect many more high quality devices in the next five months.

I am waiting with great anticipation for this November, when my annual upgrade comes up. I am hoping for a 2GHz phone. :)

Right now, pretty much all of the new phones are on Android 2.1/2.2; Gingerbread (Android 3) will not be out until late Fall.

There is very little that does not work between those phones; yes, there are apps that do not work on earlier versions of Android (1.5/1.6), but it should be a non-issue for you.

I saw your response about the efuse, but I don't believe it. I think Kellex's sources are pretty good; I am surprised that gizmodo ran that story.

The locked bootloader has has people pissed for a couple weeks. It is "anti-android" in many ways.

I dont want a dell streak, I already have a tablet its called an iPad. :)

Now if you will remember one of the things that was keeping me on the iPhone was all my music, movies, and apps... I paid a lot for them...

However now I am using mspot to stream all my music from the cloud, this works great and there is an Android app to use it, so I have all my music at my fingertips without carrying my music with me.

For my movies I havent been watching them on the iPhone, but I have been watching them on my iPad. And for my apps, again I have my iPad.

So while I may no longer have an iPhone I still have everything available to me. And I am ok with that... It didnt dawn on me until last night that most of the time I have my iPad with me, so the loss of the iPhone might not be that big of a loss.

I do wish you could see the android store... (and how do you pay for the apps?)

Again I may keep my iPhone but it really depends on what they say tomorrow...

I dont want a dell streak, I already have a tablet its called an iPad. :)

Now if you will remember one of the things that was keeping me on the iPhone was all my music, movies, and apps... I paid a lot for them...

However now I am using mspot to stream all my music from the cloud, this works great and there is an Android app to use it, so I have all my music at my fingertips without carrying my music with me.

For my movies I havent been watching them on the iPhone, but I have been watching them on my iPad. And for my apps, again I have my iPad.

So while I may no longer have an iPhone I still have everything available to me. And I am ok with that... It didnt dawn on me until last night that most of the time I have my iPad with me, so the loss of the iPhone might not be that big of a loss.

I do wish you could see the android store... (and how do you pay for the apps?)

Again I may keep my iPhone but it really depends on what they say tomorrow...

There is a program called Appbrain.com that pretty much lets you see the android marketplace with a browser, and it automatically installs software you purchase from it.

You pay through google services. I already had a google services card on file, so it was automatic.

My best friend in NY just bought a Droid X; waiting for his reviews. He is as big of an Apple guy as I know, but AT&T's service sucks where he is; so, he stuck with Big Red, and went Droid.

Scott the IPhone future will be on the spot FRIDAY as apple will have a press conference at 10 AM about the new IPhone 4. They may have a fix for the antenna issue and the sensor issue. If this is true then the IPhone will be the best device on the market.

Yes, a new Droid will be coming out in two months. Motorola is claiming that the new screen will be 1080P what ever that means.

Scott the IPhone future will be on the spot FRIDAY as apple will have a press conference at 10 AM about the new IPhone 4. They may have a fix for the antenna issue and the sensor issue. If this is true then the IPhone will be the best device on the market.
Yes, a new Droid will be coming out in two months. Motorola is claiming that the new screen will be 1080P what ever that means.

dont want to start the argument, but it may be the best phone for you.
but not for many other people out there.
i still find it lacking things i want, unless i want to jailbreak and void the warranty

but it is starting to catch up to the phone i had 4 years ago :)
sorry i couldnt resist :rolleyes:

Jailbreaking will not void the warranty as you can always unjailbreak it. :)

I have LOVED my iPhones, but hate the iPhone 4 I have now just for the fact that it fails often to function as a PHONE.

Best device on the market? Maybe for you.

I have been looking for the past few hours and so far it looks like the best DROID phone out there is the Sprint EVO.

I was really hot on the Droid X this morning but now reading the reviews I do not want.

Again if I switch phones will be based on what Apple says tomorrow.

Jailbreaking will not void the warranty as you can always unjailbreak it. :)

I have LOVED my iPhones, but hate the iPhone 4 I have now just for the fact that it fails often to function as a PHONE.

I suspect that Apple will be announcing a patch for iOS 4 on Friday. Developers have already been given access to 4.1 beta.

I have been looking for the past few hours and so far it looks like the best DROID phone out there is the Sprint EVO.

I was really hot on the Droid X this morning but now reading the reviews I do not want.

Again if I switch phones will be based on what Apple says tomorrow.

Assuming you like Sense UI, the Evo is a very good phone. It is fast, that is for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)