DSR-922/DSR-920 Battery Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tradewinds

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Central Florida
I am having some confusion understanding a few things concerning the 920 and 922 battery replacement. I have done a search and read the info here and on the web, but I have some questions still:

1) It was mentioned the way to tell the year of your unit is to look at the 7th digit of the serial number. Is this correct?
2) How do you determine if the battery has died or dying. i.e. What to check for before purchasing?
3) Is the only instructions for doing the battery replacement Alan Judd's pages?
DSR-920 Battery Replacement Instructions
DSR-922 Battery Replacement Instructions

4) It appears the VCII module also has it's own battery and that is also in jepordy of going dead? Is there a way to check this one also?
VCII replacement the easy way

5) I have seen reference to this battery (TL-5955/P) --> Digi-Key - 439-1008-ND (Manufacturer - TL-5955/P)
However, it appears the original battery can be found here --> Lithium Battery Sanyo CR14250SE, with Solder Tabs 1/2AA-Size 3 Volts $9.95 free Shipping!. Why is this battery not the one Alan uses? In the DSR-920 page, he makes this comment to another battery number --> "TL-5995P. The same battery will work well in a VCII or DSR-922". (Note the number is 5995 vs. 5955)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Any time you are buying a 920 or 922 receiver, ASK if the battery had been changed. I see folks asking that question if the 4DTV receivers are listed in Ebay. There is a way to see if the battery is still good by looking at the ID number on the 4DTV and on one of the dignostic screens. (Do a search in this forum for that info.) If the IDs don't match, then the receiver is dead and useless.
When I had my battery replaced in my 920, I had two battery holders installed, so that when the battery is getting weak, I can pop the new battery into the spare holder and remove the old battery. I won't have to worry about killing the receiver. I got my battery and the battery holders from Radio Shack. Then I had my friend who know how to solder to do the battery change for me.
Give me a coupla days to give you info on what battery and holders I bought.
VC 2 board? Don't bother with that. Nothing as far as channels are using VC 2 boards. I keep my board in my 920 to help cut down dust problems. The channels you want are the DC II channels. Go to Skyvision site to get the lists of 4DTV channels.
There are guys in this forum who owns 4DTV receivers who will help you too.

I found this from one of the members of this site:
"I used a 3.6 volt lithium battery from Radio Shack rated at a hefty 2.1 ah! The stock # is 230-0037 and it runs $11.00 and some change. It's a AA size and I just used two AA battery holders, one for the new battery and one for the replacement when it's time."
Like I mentioned, I had my 920 done this way and I am satisfied!

thanks for all the info. I am still baffle why the original is 3.0 v and the replacement being suggested everywhere is 3.6 v. or did I make a mistake?

Maybe you're confusing the 3.6 volt batteries the receivers use with the 3 volt batteries the computers use (if my memory serves me right)?

What I meant is, that this battery is 3.0 V:
Lithium Battery Sanyo CR14250SE, with Solder Tabs 1/2AA-Size 3 Volts $9.95 free Shipping!

Which is what is in this photo from Alan's page:
image001.jpg

image003.jpg

Tradewinds, that is the setup I used. My friend hot glued one AA holder to the motherboard, put the 3.6 volt battery into it, quickly cut out the old battery and soldered the spare AA holder wires to its old terminals and hot glued that holder next to the other holder, on the chassis.
The old battery still have 3.6 volts! Not bad, but now I have a peace of mind about all this.

Look like that 3 volt battery would affect the performance of the motherboard. I wonder why Allan used the 3 volt battery instead of the 3.6 volt?

Tradewinds, that is the setup I used. My friend hot glued one AA holder to the motherboard, put the 3.6 volt battery into it, quickly cut out the old battery and soldered the spare AA holder wires to its old terminals and hot glued that holder next to the other holder, on the chassis.
The old battery still have 3.6 volts! Not bad, but now I have a peace of mind about all this.

What's the need for the spare holder besides electric shock? I was under the impression if the receiver is left plugged into the wall. Then the battery can be replaced without losing it's I.D..

I am not sure if it holds the ID when the power is plugged in. Even if it does, that would mean if your battery is completely dead, then you have to perform this surgery while plug into a AC outlet which is extremely dangerous. What the spare holder does, is allow you to plug in a new battery into the spare and flip the dead one out of the other holder.

I wasn't referring to changing the "original" battery while plugged in. But, more towards how mine is set up in the pic of post #9. I have a holder but no spare.

Well, I assume what your plan is that you will keep it plugged in and then swap out the battery. If that is confirmed to work, then I agree, we don't need a spare holder and we can swap things out carefully while the system is "hot".

I have the impression that you have precious seconds to have that battery replaced or the 4DTV will be a doorstop.
I would prefer having the receiver unplugged while changing the battery for the first time (especially while soldering). I think I would change the battery while the receiver is unplugged for now on. Better safe than sorry...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)