DSR922 Battery Replacement questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stefan53

Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan
Hello, does someone here know the safest way to do a battery replacement on a DSR922? By the safest I mean so I don't lose the Receiver Number. Has anyone ever done it with the unit still plugged (live!) in so you can install the new exactly where the old was? I bought my unit on Ebay and the serial number says it was manufactured in 2002.
Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, WELCOME to Satguys!

There are a number of posts on this you may want to look-for, search for "DSR Battery Replace" for starters. The DSR 410's and the 922's and 920's all are pretty similar in how one goes about this. When I owned a 922, we bought a 'AA' battery holder, put the new lithium battery in it, paralleled it on the board (not plugged in live, by the way, not recommended) then pulled the old one. The wire leads on the AA battery holder made the job easier. There are a few pictorial posts here on satguys you may want to search! Plenty of great info from great people.

Again, welcome!

Thanks for the Welcome! I read a post from Nov 2011 from a guy who was doing battery replacement for a good price. His handle was "Lonewolf454", have not had any luck contacting him, any suggestions?
Thanks again

Any GOOD electronics repair shop can do this for you! There should be a few in the Sault! (or at least one, I would think)...if they can work TV sets, they can change a battery and add a new battery holder. Main issue: Hook up the new parallel before pulling the old! Then pull any decoder module from the unit (if it has one) so its battery doesn't get old and leak over the main board in the receiver. There's no need of the VCII module at all anymore. We posted a little when doing some, but my memory's about as long as my nose. Check postings that "radio" put up, you may find some pics of ours. If not, I'll try to dig some up and send em to you via PM.

Are you planning on getting in to chasing down "in the clear' DCII feeds? That's about all that's left up there except for subscribing to the HITS format of channels from Programming Center | 4DTV Programming on W-5. Only asking in case its FTA you want. If it's FTA, don't bother with the battery......move toward an inexpensive FTA receiver, positioner.

I changed mine about 9 months ago. I have very little soldering experience but did it myself anyway. It wasn't difficult at all, but my biggest concern was the battery exploding.But if you have any concern at all, I would take it to the nearest electronics repair shop & explain to them that there must be voltage at all times & even the slightest tenth of a second without juice will render your receiver useless.

If you are going to have someone install a new battery with a holder or even do it yourself, you might want to install a second holder in parallel. This way, all you have to do next time is install a new battery in the spare holder then remove the old battery. The batteries are typically rated for 5 to 7 years in circuit. I know many have got 10+ years on these batteries, but anything more than 7 is taking a chance. They can go from the rated voltage to DEAD in just hours when they finally go. Make sure that you write the battery installation date somewhere on the receiver so it is easier to remember.

For this type of work, I would use a butane type soldering iron. This way you will have no ground potential or positive voltage present on the tip of the soldering iron. The ground potential or positive voltage can both kill the old battery, rendering the receiver useless.

When I bought the 922 I thought I would be able to get NET Nebraska and maybe subscribe through SRL. Now they've changed NET to DVB-S2 and the available programming looks "lackluster" to me. Now I am considering an FTA (Openbox S-10 or Pansat9500) . The reason I definately am putting a new battery in the 922 is to protect my investment($95). If you've checked them out on E-bay lately you'll see their going for $250 to $350 a pop, though I am going to hang on to mine for now to keep my options open. I like the dual battery holder idea as apposed to the battery with leads. The truth is if someone is going to screw up my 922 i'd prefer it be me, thats why I will probably do the work myself. Thanks for the Ideas guys.

Is this battery a direct replacement for the part number, or is that what your measuring? I've just tested the 9v (3 3v lithium batteries) in my smoke detector came out to 8.95v, under a load, that is. If it's already unplugged and you're measuring that, great. Now you just have to jump temp power (usually there's 2 solder pads near the battery), and replace it. I usually look up the part number and get a direct replacement just to do a professional job, but that depends on how comfortable you are with soldering/desoldering. The easiest would be get the 2 AA holders and solder them to the pads, then cut the old battery once you're sure you got voltage. If you haven't unplugged it yet I'd strongly suggest checking the board ID, and taking the top off the receiver and looking at the battery. You may be able to probe through the plastic vents on the decoder (don't probe through the metal vents you'll ground it and kill it). If it is, you can find a way to get 2 small 'kynar' (30ga wire) through the phone jack and solder them through the vents, to either the solder pads or somewhere on the board that circuit goes to, while it's still live. Then you can pull your decoder unit out and do the final replacement. Remember to wear safety glasses, and though I've worked on stuff live before, it is dangerous. Those lithium batteries can blow up in your face like a fire cracker when the new current rushes in, or if you heat them too much with the soldering iron. Also if you're working on it live, make sure you know what your doing as you can shock yourself, and possibly die if you get shocked the wrong way. Certainly don't do it alone, at least have someone there if your heart stops (worst case scenario), all electricians are trained this way if they work on live stuff.

If I were you I would sell that thing on EBay while the getting is good. Those HITS feeds are eventually all going to go away. It is my understanding that some of them are going DVB/S2 later this year.

I haven't used a big dish in years, everyone's going to the stupid DirecTV and Dish Network, which are received from C-Band and re-compressed, re-sent to the closer satellites. I've heard the video is uncompressed, and now that I live out in the country, want to start playing with c-band again (no room for a 12ft dish in an apartment complex in the city so I sold it). Can you even buy subscriptions for 4dtv anymore? If you can't get subscriptions anymore the whole battery backed VC unit will be pretty much useless. Could use a FTA box and get a lot of stuff, but HBO uncompressed would be worth the monthly fee as it'll be the same on cable, or DirecTV, and I can see the artifacts compared to BluRay. Anybody ever successfully get the unit ID back after the battery disintegrated, with a JTAG? I know there's an NVRAM (Flash) on there, and when the DSR-922 is activated at the factory the data is moved "once" to the battery backed RAM. However, I have a doubt this board is totally toast. Screw paying $200, I want to get one that's dead for $15 and fix it. 99.9% of you will tell me it's absolutely dead and it can't be done, but that just makes it more challenging. I don't even watch TV that much, I like working on electronics and computers as a hobby. The feeling of accomplishment I get when I fix something that's "absolutely" broken is worth more than $200 to me.

The only subscriptions left for 4DTV are the HITS channels on "X4" and they are sd only.
Once the unit ID's are lost in a 4D they are gone forever,the only repair for a lost ID was to install a new mother board with a new ID.
You can replace the battery in a "dead" 4D and it can be used as a dish mover,to receive analog channels(the few that are left) and get some of the "free" DCII channels that are still up there.It will not be subscribable even with a new battery.
As for VCII,there is only one channel left and you can't buy it,so VCII modules are virtually worthless.

I never thought I would ever say it, but c band subscription is on its death bed. C band is a superior technology but the bean counters and politics are not there anymore to support it on a consumer level.

I would not bother to put a battery in a 4Dtv.
I tossed my DSR/905's in the trash a while back. They were working fine with remotes.

Free to air is c bands future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)