DTV HD Satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jscud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2005
Central NH
My neighbor, who has his main residence in NJ, has a DTV SD package with NYC locals. A year ago I installed a 3 lnb dish for him at up here at his camp in NH. He carries his receiver back and forth. As far as I can tell he is only using the satellite at 101, I could have used a single lnb dish but I had an extra 3 lnb dish so used that. With the 3 lnb dish he says he gets a better signal here than back home in NJ.

He now wants to upgrade to HD up here, but not necessarily back in NJ. What satellite(s) does he need to for HD?, apparently not 101. Does he need a 5 lnb dish or can he get by with a single lnb dish?

One other question, would DTV send him an HD receiver with out insisting on doing the installation themselves? Or does he need to by a receiver online for him (me) to do a self-install?

John

The three lnb dish you installed in NH, does it have one pod or three spaced out evenly? If it's three, then he needs the three lnb hd type to get hd channels. It has only one pod. BTW, unless there is an issue with the lnb he uses in NJ, there should be no difference in the signal quality in NH. In fact, his local channels may go out on occasion due to the weaker signal in NH compared to NJ. The farther you are from the center of the spot beam that carries your local channels, the weaker the signal. If he is upgrading in NH, he might as well in NJ. It would make going from one location to the other easier since he wouldn't have to change any settings. He might be able to get them to send him an hd receiver, but it would go to his NJ address, since I'm assuming they don't know about his NH setup.

The current dish has 3 separate lnbs, but I don't see how I can repoint that for 99 and 103. There is a 4 degree separation between the 99 and 103 satelites. The 3 lnb dish has a 9 degree separation between either 101 and 110 or 110 and 119.

As for his dish in NJ, I can't say why his signal is lower. It is not an issue, he was just making an observation. He said he has a lot of trees in the yard so that might be the reason. Either that or his dish down there is slightly out of alignment. That one was installed many years ago.

John

The current dish has 3 separate lnbs, but I don't see how I can repoint that for 99 and 103. There is a 4 degree separation between the 99 and 103 satelites. The 3 lnb dish has a 9 degree separation between either 101 and 110 or 110 and 119.

As for his dish in NJ, I can't say why his signal is lower. It is not an issue, he was just making an observation. He said he has a lot of trees in the yard so that might be the reason. Either that or his dish down there is slightly out of alignment. That one was installed many years ago.

John

You need to install a new Slimline dish and 3 lnb that will pick up the hd channels. It's an entirely different setup than the one he has now. It looks like this:
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...ine-dish-antenna-and-sl-3-lnb-combo-(au9-sl3)
You will need the entire setup, dish and mast.

yes that picks up the 3 satellites you need

what do you mean by Legacy? The older receivers are SD only and wont need HD. HD recievers will work fine. If you get a non-SWM setup (like what Chip linked to) you will need BBC converters (the HR23/H23 do not need them) to get HD
SWM doesnt need that

What receiver are you working with?

:welcome to Satelliteguys nigelcaruthers!
99 and 103 carries virtually all of the hd channels. The 101 satellite is the main satellite for the sd channels.

Thank you.
I'm on the road and trying to find them to use my SlimLine 3 and need to look them up on dish pointer to tune in.

I'm not seeing the 103 for DirecTv, (it says AMC-1) there and I need the correct numbers especially skew. I'm at zip code 29418.

Cheers
nigel

Thank you.
I'm on the road and trying to find them to use my SlimLine 3 and need to look them up on dish pointer to tune in.

I'm not seeing the 103 for DirecTv, (it says AMC-1) there and I need the correct numbers especially skew. I'm at zip code 29418.

Cheers
nigel

You'll want to point at the 101 sat, lock that in and the rest should fall into place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)