Status
Please reply by conversation.

ingramba

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 11, 2004
Dallas/Ft.Worth, TX
Hi all, I just added an "owned" HR24-200 HDDVR to my account and want to know if this plan would be useable. I have another HR24-100 HDDVR & SD (both leased) receiver in my home. Researched and cant find answer, THX! Bill :)

Not sure if I even need warranties on these machines. So far 1.5 years in they work great! :popcorn

Directv stuff seems to either fail when first taken out of the box or run forever. Then there is the probability the recorders will fail more often than other receivers just because they have more features to fail. And the ratio of replacement cost to monthly protection payments is more reasonable for the expensive stuff.

The Protection Plan also covers the cable and dish which can get dinged.

I have three Hughes SD boxes that have been humming along for about fifteen years on an 18" round dish without failure.

Joe

No protection plan - any receiver replaced is $19.95 shipping. Any receiver replaced the new receiver is leased. Any dish/switch repairs at the price of a service call, generally $49.95 to $79.95.

With protection plan - any receiver replaced is free shipping. Any receiver replaced the new receiver is leased or owned, matching the receiver that it replaced. Any dish/switch repairs free.

Only you can decide if $72/yr is a good investment for you.

An OWNED HR24-200 ?

I hope for your sake your right about it being owned vs leased.

Where did you find a Owned HR24 for sale and how much, I may have to look into getting a few.

I think most are from Directv employees. Until recently they could sell ones that they owned. I think that practice has been halted.

An OWNED HR24-200 ?

I hope for your sake your right about it being owned vs leased.

Where did you find a Owned HR24 for sale and how much, I may have to look into getting a few.

Got it off fleabay for $284.xx owned. Had guy give me RID # then called DTV to verify. I ordered HR24 then called DTV for access card ($20.00). About a week went buy but something told me to call DTV back and make sure they marked account owned and not leased, sure enough they put it as leased and extended my contract 2 years! Needless to say I was furious. Lady said they improperly marked account (sure they did) when I activated it.

Its now an owned receiver on my account and have 6 months of contract left. Will also be getting a HR24 HD only receiver soon for game room! Like not being under any contract when possible. Bill

No protection plan - any receiver replaced is $19.95 shipping. Any receiver replaced the new receiver is leased. Any dish/switch repairs at the price of a service call, generally $49.95 to $79.95.

With protection plan - any receiver replaced is free shipping. Any receiver replaced the new receiver is leased or owned, matching the receiver that it replaced. Any dish/switch repairs free.

Only you can decide if $72/yr is a good investment for you.

If an owned receiver is replaced under the protection plan, it should be owned as well. BUT, you need to call DirecTV to make sure it is marked on your account as owned. I had to call DirecTV once to fight to get a H23 changed to owned status that replaced a RCA HD DTC-210 under the protection plan.

I have 7 receivers on my account, ( 4 kids :D ) DirecTV customer since 1994, the protection plan has been worth it for me, once they had to completely re-wire part of my house due to the initial installers using steel cable staples, all of my original owned RCA receivers have been replaced under the protection plan except one, which is still going.
Since you have a "owned" HR24, I'd recommend the protection plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts