DTV Sales REP Talks about Leasing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SonicRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 31, 2004
I just got off with a rep and he told me they will leasing there HD Directv Tivo recievers for 10 dollars that does not include the 4.99 for the tivo service plus the 10 dollars for the HD Channels.

He also said they will be adding allot of HD Channels in the Summer of 2006.

Did the rep give you any idea of how many HD channels will be added this year,by any chance?

Yes

He Said 10 HD Channels will be Added One of them was TNT so we should see some more soon.

Thanks for the reply.That sounds good.I'm debating an offer from DIRECTV to do a new customer deal with them.Info like this is good news indeed.:up :) I've had two discussions via phone with them.The offer they have made to me is good until 2/28/06.

sounds good? 10 dollars +5 dollars = 15 dollars a month rental fee on a HDtivo? When you can own for about 450-200 = 250 on ebay? Doesnt sound good to me.

even if you buy the receiver for $250, you still will pay $5 a month for DVR service so $10 *24 months = $240. Rental is a better deal to me because there is no way you are using the same equipment in 2 years that you are today.

I thought that D* was done dealing the Tivo Brand? V, we will just have to file that one in the think before you write drawer, but please do the math correctly so we don't think that your anti D* slant has completely taken over your mind. TXhockey is right on with that thought process.

Last edited:
txhockey said:
even if you buy the receiver for $250, you still will pay $5 a month for DVR service so $10 *24 months = $240. Rental is a better deal to me because there is no way you are using the same equipment in 2 years that you are today.
Nope. Existing owners of HDtivos will be able to upgrade to Mpeg4 DVR's for a minimal upgrade fee and avoid the rental charges as I understand it. I do not see any technology changes after mpeg4 for a very very long time. Which means that in 2008 or 2009 after your 2 year commitment is over with the mpeg4 DVR you could sell the 2 yr old reciever on ebay and surely recover much of the money you spent on it making rental fees a bad deal. Id rather own the equipment if I planned to stay with D*.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
sounds good? 10 dollars +5 dollars = 15 dollars a month rental fee on a HDtivo? When you can own for about 450-200 = 250 on ebay? Doesnt sound good to me.
I forgot to mention the offer that I spoke of in prior posts.I'm not looking at DVR.The offer that DIRECTV made to me is for 2 H20 receivers installed for $199.That price quote is to own the receivers,not a lease.What I was talking about sounding good is the addition of more HD channels.:)

Last edited:
V....ok, I understand you know the tech angle on this stuff better than I do. But.... to speculate on selling a HD Tivo 2 years from now for anything close to the purchase price considering the switch to MP4 etc...is ridiculous.

FlyingJ said:
V....ok, I understand you know the tech angle on this stuff better than I do. But.... to speculate on selling a HD Tivo 2 years from now for anything close to the purchase price considering the switch to MP4 etc...is ridiculous.

Id bet that they use the upcoming mpeg4 HD DVR for 5 years easy if so it will retain its value. SO if you bought an mpeg2 HR10-250 for a net of 250 bucks, then got a free upgrade (as has been posted here and at AVS) or say 100 dollar upgrade to the Mpeg4 DVR, put 2 years of rental fees in your pocket totaling 240 dollars you are out 110 bucks but still in possession of the new mpeg4 DVR. Certainly the mpeg4 DVR will be worth at least $110.00 in a couple of years. There really is no other codec looming on the Horizon in the next few years. I think you could actually make money on the deal, especially if you hacked it like I have my HR10-250. The BIG question is will D* allow anyone to activate a used one as a new owner? If not, then there is no way to recoup any money on it.

Last edited:
steve615 said:
Thanks for the reply.That sounds good.I'm debating an offer from DIRECTV to do a new customer deal with them.Info like this is good news indeed.:up :) I've had two discussions via phone with them.The offer they have made to me is good until 2/28/06.

Since you aready knew DTV offer, call Valuelectronics (link above) to see if they can match. They used to have better offer. Also 10% discount to forum members. Besides, they support our forum.

xrf1 said:
Since you aready knew DTV offer, call Valuelectronics (link above) to see if they can match. They used to have better offer. Also 10% discount to forum members. Besides, they support our forum.
My sister is a 2+ year DIRECTV sub.She only has SD programming with them,she hasn't ventured into the HD yet,but,she is considering taking the plunge in the near future.She has asked me to use her account for a referral if I do decide to do the new customer deal with them.

FOr all you Tivo Lovers Directv will service it for 5 Years after the 5 Years are over were out of Luck but at least Tivo won't go anywere for a while.

The receivers may last for five years but unless they make them upgradable, they will be out of date in a few years. I would say at least two generations of receivers will be out within five years. Until they make them upgradable more via software than what they do now and/or hardware upgradable this is the way it is going to be. IPTV would probably be more upgradable via software than hardware seeing it would probably be more along the lines of being a computer.

steve615 said:
My sister is a 2+ year DIRECTV sub.She only has SD programming with them,she hasn't ventured into the HD yet,but,she is considering taking the plunge in the near future.She has asked me to use her account for a referral if I do decide to do the new customer deal with them.

Valuelectronics pays the referral as well, I believe. They used to match any offer DTV has.

Ask them. And let us know !

Well,I called and made a deal with DIRECTV late last night for two H20 receivers installed free of any charges.I had already committed myself to my sister,in regards to the referral deal.I posted a new thread,titled A Steal Of A Deal,thought I would share my adventure/experience in becoming a new DIRECTV customer in a new thread.Pretty long read on that thread,but,I thought it would make for interesting reading for anyone interested.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)