DTV signals. . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greenguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Home Ground. . .
i have not given it a go as yet but guys on another forum was tellin me that i cant find the signal from any of DTV sats with an FTA receiver.

my question is: Why?
i only wanted to see how strong the signal is in my area.

DN uses circular and we can pick it up with our fta stb. . .

i didnt ask them because it has almost been a yr ago and i was really new to it all but i cant remember the forum.

The difficulty may be a result of any difference in the LNB control schemes between a modern DIRECTV receiver and an FTA receiver.

Linear or circular polarity or the downlink frequency doesn't matter if you're using a DIRECTV LNB as the receiver only sees the IF frequencies coming from the block converter.

Suffice it to say that you're signal shouldn't be any better or worse than any other DIRECTV customer that lives in your area and there really isn't much you can do about it either way.

The reason is DirecTV does NOT use DVB format!! Therefore, a DVB receiver will not see the transponders, let alone any actual channels. El

Last edited:
The reason is DirecTV does NOT use DVB format!! Therefore, a DVB receiver will not see the transponders, let alone any actual channels. El

thanks guy.

so the only way of lining a dish to one of there birds is gettin a dtv receiver and usin the signal meter in it?

You started the thread wanting to use an FTA box to "see how strong the signal is in my area." Since you were going to use an FTA receiver as a glorified signal meter, I'm not sure how using an actual signal meter is insufficient. If you're trying to do something else, let us know so we can help you better.

And in any case, I peaked out the quality on my Slimline 5 three years ago using an Accutrac MkII - it sees the (Ku band) signal just fine.

you can not use a FTA receiver to lock a Directv signal

FTA receivers use DVB standard
Directv uses DSS (instead of DVB)

DirecTV uses a format different from DVB, (Fta format). BOTH Direct and Dish use circular polarization AND a different frequency range, (approx. 12.2 to 12.7 Ghz,) from FTA. Fta uses linear polarization, vertical and horizontal, combined with a lower frequency range. (appox. 11.2 to 12.1 Ghz.) You can SEE Dish transponder/channel signal levels, but an FTA receiver will NOT view Dish channel signals due to the Nagravision 3 encoding. Whereas, Direct can be seen with a signal meter, SF-9503, but a FTA receiver will not see the transponder levels, let alone any channels. All of these, Direct, Dish, and FTA are on the Ku band, not C-band. Both paid services require their own authorized equipment in order to watch their channels. I believe this should cover everything. El

DirecTV uses a format different from DVB, (Fta format). BOTH Direct and Dish use circular polarization AND a different frequency range, (approx. 12.2 to 12.7 Ghz,) from FTA. Fta uses linear polarization, vertical and horizontal, combined with a lower frequency range. (appox. 11.2 to 12.1 Ghz.) You can SEE Dish transponder/channel signal levels, but an FTA receiver will NOT view Dish channel signals due to the Nagravision 3 encoding. Whereas, Direct can be seen with a signal meter, SF-9503, but a FTA receiver will not see the transponder levels, let alone any channels. All of these, Direct, Dish, and FTA are on the Ku band, not C-band. Both paid services require their own authorized equipment in order to watch their channels. I believe this should cover everything. El

it was well answered since your post on page one. . ."FTA is DVB and DTV is NOT" however i think you need to rechk some of the things you said, eg FTA KU NOT C-Band, FTA STB will NOT see DN etc can be a bit misleadin to some persons.

thanks anyway guys. . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)