DTVPal Digital-to-Analog Converter is Now Available

- assume -

I think some folks have made an unwise assumption:

1) thinking Radio Shack may carry the DTVpal
see my previous comments

2) thinking Radio Shack would exchange one converter for the other
I'll bet they'll find a way to wiggle out of it, somehow

You can argue about #2, but if they never get any, you're dead in the water.

The Echostar Experience

I tried to order a DTVPAL from the website Friday evening.
Had the usual issues. Called Dish, got a friendly CSR and ordered my box.
Checked my bank account, and there were TWO withdrawals one for the correct amount and one for $14.48. Called Saturday and got to speak with Hadji.
Hadji issued a credit for the 14 bucks. Checked again today: NO credit and the hold went through deducting the $14 bucks! Called today and got another friendly CSR. She checked and assured me that my $14 bucks were credited back to my account and the box will be shipped 2-10 days from today.
We shall see......

I placed order on the website on Thursday June 26 for two boxes... They arrived today and I will install them when I get home tonight....
I am a happy camper.........

The two boxes that I mentioned in my previous post arrived today. My account still shows that I was charged $59.99 twice for the two boxes and I also have two $59.99 credits on my account as well. The CSR must have applied the credits as payment by using the coupons.

STATE TAXES 0.78
06/26 06/26 DTVPAL EQUIPMENT CHARGE 59.99
06/26 06/26 DTVPAL EQUIPMENT CHARGE 59.99
06/26 06/26 SHIPPING AND HANDLING 8.95
06/26 06/26 SHIPPING AND HANDLING 8.95
06/26 06/25 DTVPAL EQUIPMENT CHARGE -59.99
06/26 06/25 DTVPAL EQUIPMENT CHARGE -59.99

So I paid $18.68 for two boxes including shipping and taxes. This is the deal everyone should be getting considering the way Dish promoted the coverter box (Free after coupon).

I'm confused here. So if you order from the site page it's ok now but if you order via phone or online chat they might mess it up and make any corrections as a credit to your Dish bill eventually?

I was thinking of using PayPal so I don't need these mystery charges.

Drat! I just tried to use the website to order:

Our records indicate that you or this address had Dish Network service in the past. We are unable to automatically process your request to order the DTVPal receiver online. Please call 1-888-638-9912 and a DTVPal representative will help you with your order.
I forgot about that. Yea, that really makes me want to remain a Dish customer. I think I'll be switching to cable after all. This is just one stupid policy too many for me and I don't care why it is what it is.

:mad:

--------------------------

Well true to my word I cancelled my Dish account. I hooked up the Digital Stream DTX9950 in the bedroom 10 minutes later and I'm not sorry yet. Did have it the guest room. The living room TV is an HDTV so no worries there.

Still working on using my 2nd coupon. Hopefully one that Tivo can control through the Ir but I'm not sure I want anything from Dish anymore. I was open to being "saved" but they really botched that too! Retention dumped me off at the closed internet sales dept just because I said I'd consider a bundle with internet. Just one screwup too many for me.

Last edited:
DTVPAL Guide - To fast to be PSIP

Yesterday, I received my 2 DTVPAL boxes.

I hooked one up and scanned for channels. It quickly found 23 channels which represent all of the main stations for Columbus, Ohio and Dayton, Ohio.

I then entered my zip code (43064) for Plain City.

The unit downloaded the guide in ~ 8 seconds.

The guide data was at least 3 hours for most of the stations. NBC weather + did not have data and Dayton Channel 2 which has SD on 2.1 and HD on 2.2 only showed program info on the guide for 2.2

I was under the impression that to receive PSIP data, you need to tune to each station for several seconds so the receiver can get the data. The unit was able to populate data for 23 stations in only 8 seconds. I don't think that it would be possible for the unit to get PSIP data for each of the stations that quickly.

Thus, I believe that the DTVPAL is downloading TV Guide Data.

it is able to tune the different channels in the background. While you are watcing a channel it cycles through the other ones checking guide data. I have no TVGOS station that I can receive, yet I get full data in my guide.

I was under the impression that to receive PSIP data, you need to tune to each station for several seconds so the receiver can get the data. The unit was able to populate data for 23 stations in only 8 seconds. I don't think that it would be possible for the unit to get PSIP data for each of the stations that quickly.
Good observation. Perhaps the tuner can, in fact, scan all the stations that quickly. PSIP data is very low bandwidth and perhaps does not encounter the elaborate D-A codec delay that you observe when changing channels manually. I'd be curious to hear from a knowledgable ATSC guru!

DTVPal.com ordering

Well, I'm glad I was not a current DISH subscriber, or worse, a past DISH subscriber, when I ordered my DTVPals. And I'm relieved I haven't had to contact DISH by phone for any reason (yet).

Today was my coupon expiration day, so I guess I'm glad I used DTVPal.com; others may want to wait for a better deal on shipping and taxes, probably at another seller.

I placed my order at DTVPal.com on the first day, Thursday, June 26, and "reviewed" the purchasing process at the DTVPal review thread. For anyone who hasn't seen it already, the links are in my signature, but I'll repeat them here for people who aren't logged in and can't see signatures: My "Review" & "Update." (The "Update" details the billing screw-up on my order, a small error in my favor.)

I'll repeat one little tip here: Start at www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/ instead of dtvpal.com. It's the same site, but you'll be able to see where the links go when you click on them. (If you start at dtvpal.com, URL "masking" is used. This was hiding the security, among other things--a dumb choice, but that's how they set it up. They recently improved things somewhat by having the order page open in a new browser window so that you can see it's secure.)

I still haven't received my DTVPals, but I'm hoping they'll arrive today or tomorrow, before the 4th.

DTVPal tuner is fast

Yesterday, I received my 2 DTVPAL boxes.

I hooked one up and scanned for channels. It quickly found 23 channels which represent all of the main stations for Columbus, Ohio and Dayton, Ohio.

I then entered my zip code (43064) for Plain City.

The unit downloaded the guide in ~ 8 seconds.

The guide data was at least 3 hours for most of the stations. NBC weather + did not have data and Dayton Channel 2 which has SD on 2.1 and HD on 2.2 only showed program info on the guide for 2.2

Thus, I believe that the DTVPAL is downloading TV Guide Data.

No, it's PSIP, but the reason the DTVPal can collect all the data fast is because its tuner can change channels rapidly. This is another advantage it has over many other boxes, besides the EPG and timers. Delays in collecting PSIP data on other devices are probably due entirely to the time it takes to tune to a channel in the first place.

Besides, TVGuide Data can also be very slow, from what I understand; the DTVPal manual itself (available at DTVPal.com, click "support") says it can take days to receive all the data. And it only passes TVGOS data to a "guide enabled device" which is licensed to receive the TVGOS data. (Or perhaps it passes PSIP data formatted to look like TVGOS data, that is yet to be determined.) In any case, it doesn't use TVGOS data for anyone using the DTVPal in its "normal" mode.

I tried to order a DTVPAL from the website Friday evening.
Had the usual issues. Called Dish, got a friendly CSR and ordered my box.
Checked my bank account, and there were TWO withdrawals one for the correct amount and one for $14.48. Called Saturday and got to speak with Hadji.
Hadji issued a credit for the 14 bucks. Checked again today: NO credit and the hold went through deducting the $14 bucks! Called today and got another friendly CSR. She checked and assured me that my $14 bucks were credited back to my account and the box will be shipped 2-10 days from today.
We shall see......

Got the refund at 7am EST this morning.
Still waiting for the box.......

Got the refund at 7am EST this morning.
Still waiting for the box.......

Got the box . Waiting for me on the front steps when I got home from work!
I live in a rural area of upstate NY. The tuner sensitivity was worth the trouble.
The DTVPAL has found a channel that my DTT-900 and Polaroid Tv missed.

pabeader do you know if the DTVPal can get updates?

In the AVS Forum it looks like there are two Software Versions.
F100TCGH-N - this must be the default and standard.
F101TCGH-N - Rick313 from Lone Tree, CO must have got a update from either OTA or Dish Network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)