Dual external hard drives being renamed by XP?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Can someone give me an idea here?

Using a TT BlacX duet dock, via USB, to an Oppo 93. Last night, when I hooked it up, my first drive which is usually called "MyBook AV", was now Disc 2, which is the name I gave the second drive when I did a long format.

I've been doing some reading on why XP may rename. Currently, i boot the laptop up, then plug in the USB from the duet dock, and it recognizes the drives. Im also, at the same time, using a Asus slim blu-ray burner that takes up 2 USB slots as well.

Should I connect the Duet dock up, then boot the laptop, and wait till thats done to plug in the slim burner? Is there some error to my order that did this? Thanks.

The other strange thing is, windows xp sees both drives as "Disc 2" no, and can see all the files. When I connect it to the Oppo, turn it on, it sees both drives as Disc 2 as well, BUT can only see some of the files. Very weird and a PITA.

Couple of explanations-

First of all your drive connected to the computer will change drive letters automatically depending on what is connected first at the time. You can change the drive letter using an admin tool "Computer Management" You can find this tool by going to Control Panel, selecting Administration tools, and opening up Computer Management. Under Storage, select Disk Management, find the drive, and right click on the drive shown in the graph. Here you will have the option to assign a drive letter of your choice.
Changing a drive name is much easier. In Explorer, you can change the name by right clicking on the drive letter and select "rename"

The Oppo USB drive support application only supports certain file types, mostly media file types like image, video, and sound files.

USB drive connections should be hot swap. No requirement to reboot or connect in any special order.

When 2 or more physical drives are seen as one, they are paired as one stripped drive. (Raid)

I understand all that, let me try and better explain what happened.

For example, one of the drives named "My Book" and showing as drive e:, and the other drive I formatted and partitioned and named "Disc 2" shows as f:.

So, when I usually connected the dual dock (Oppo and Laptop), I had:

My Book E:
Disc 2 F:

Well, when I connected two days ago, all of a sudden I have (oppo and laptop):

Disc 2 E:
Disc 2 F:

In the Oppo, I could only see 1/2 the Iso's on newly renamed somehow drive, but the laptop could see all of them. The 3 the Oppo could see, I was able to transfer from E: to F:, but the 3 the Oppo could not see (laptop could) would not transfer, and stated they were corrupted.

Im just wondering if it's because I robbed that from a my book and did not do a delete of the partition and long format, as I did with the 2nd drive (Disc 2). So basically, both my drives now have been partitioned and subjected to a long format, as well as being named Disc 1 and Disc 2 in the format process.

I just dont get why all of a sudden it changed it's displayed name from My Book E: to Disc 2 E: and had corrupted files. My only guess is my lack of formatting at the beginning and maybe being it came straight out of a new my book, had some files still on it that caused issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts