DVB-S2 blind scan question about Sathawk PVR800

Status
Please reply by conversation.

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I know there is a 136 page thread about the receiver, but it's unwieldly (IMHO) since I can't quickly find an answer to the question I have.

Does the DVB-S2 blindscan work well? I would be buying this receiver as a thorough dVB-S2 blind scan receiver (speed doesn't matter to me if it's not thorough in finding any dvb-s2 signal above 2000 SR). My shortwave radio method doesn't return a try on some dvb-s2 signals I've seen reported on various forums.

I know I could buy the sathawk and see for myself how well it works, but there is a restocking fee on returns so it makes more sense for me to try to do some homework first.

If one with a sathawk has a moment and wants to try, I can look through my notes for a Ku-band sat with a mix of signals and I"ll give a short frequency/polarity range for someone to try and see how well the known s/s2 signals match what the receiver found in a blind scan.

I havent had any real bad issues blind scanning S2 with my solomand/sathawk.The only issue i can think of is sometimes it wont catch S2 first try unless i tweak the motor for max signal peak!since s2 is pretty sensitve and you need to be right on target!at least with a smaller dish.

If you're looking for a receiver that won't ever miss a TP, keep on walking, the Sathawk ain't it. I have two of them, and they are far from perfect in that regard, especially as stanleyjohn said, S2 signals, it misses sometimes. That being said, I'd have it over the Vantage, or the Azbox Ultra.

ON THE OTHER HAND...IS A FOOT!

I think I am gonna ask Ice for one more Sticky. Mainly this:

If you are looking for one box, one glorious box that does everything, misses nothing, records anything you feed it, plays any video/audio file you feed it, connects to the internet, downloads channel lists just like you want them regardless of how much different than anyone else your setup is, there is a box for you. Call 1-800-directv, or 1-800-DISHNET. :)

Having had the Sathawk since the second batch I agree with the comments above. Then after trying to blindscan a second time...I use the channel editor and try that way. You need the editor for CW anyway.....Blind

Having had the Sathawk since the second batch I agree with the comments above. Then after trying to blindscan a second time...I use the channel editor and try that way. You need the editor for CW anyway.....Blind

If some channels are not 'scannable', how can one find these channels ? (CW for example)

If you're looking for a receiver that won't ever miss a TP, keep on walking, the Sathawk ain't it. I have two of them, and they are far from perfect in that regard, especially as stanleyjohn said, S2 signals

how accurate/complete would you say the Sathawk is with regards to S2 signals? Very reliable on S2 signals over SR 4000 but spotty accurate on signals with a SR less than that?

Last edited:
how accurate/complete would you say the Sathawk is with regards to S2 signals? Very reliable on S2 signals over SR 4000 but spotty accurate on signals with a SR less than that?

Well, in MY case, it has never missed, that I can remember, ANY S2 feed that I KNOW is there....but does it miss anything that I DON'T know is there? I can't answer that. There isn't too much out there that is low S/R S2, I don't think, a few news feeds and the TP on 72W cband, which the Sathawk catches. NOW, there are some DVB-S TP's that it will miss every time. The ones on 87W cband, Net PBS feeds, it NEVER finds them on a blindscan. Neither did the Vantage, IIRC... so that isn't anything new.

My short review: It plays DVB-S,until the bitrates get high. It plays DVB-S2, until the bitrates get high, then its a slobbering mess. It plays audio streams no other receiver will play. It blindscans as good as, if not better, than the Vantage. Its a pain in the butt to edit PIDS, edit channel names, or anything to do with the channel info. The PVR is useless except for DVB-S low bitrate, and who wants to record that? The remote is crappy, and its range is short. It works a switch reliably, something I couldn't get the Vantage to do.

But if one of mine dies, I will be looking for another one to replace it. I like it that much. Its quirky, but I will deal with it. For the price, compared to what else is out there, its a helluva deal. :up

Last edited:
don,t buy this reciever it won,t lock s2 signals most of the time remote sucks sometimes reciever will lockup need to unplug toget it to work again dvr sucks if you decide to buy the reciever don,t buy from sadoun if you return it will charge you 20 porcent restoking fee and they take for ever to give you credit i returned a g box 2 months ago steal waiting for my money,good luck

that's disappointing there isn't a reasonable cost good performing dvb-s2 blind scan receiver that is as reliable and good as some of the dvb-s blind scan receivers in the market or perform to finding s2 signals as good as my old nokia 9200 to dvb-s signals.

Some will knock the Sathawk /solomand but what receiver dosnt have its neg and pos opinions.I love mine!No problems here S2!I dont get them all but i dont blame the receiver! I have a 6 footer Dish which may be two small for some of the weaker S2.The original Remote is abit of a pain but i have gotten used to it!They did replace the original remote with a new one that i have heard works much better.Guess i havent hit too many Hi bit rates so far!Not seeing any problems in that dept also.

I have one under the Solomend brand name and it both finds and correctly plays DVB-S2 just fine. The problem with most DVB-S2 isn't in the receiver. It's in your dish size as well as in fine tuning on the dish. DVB-S2 runs very high FEC rates so their is little overhead for dropped packets and low signal/quality. You get the right sized dish and the Solomend/Sathawk/Open Box works just great in that department. The only lack is in the 4:2:2 area. But, I have a USB receiver that already does 4:2:2 so I'm covered either way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts