DVB World HD-2104 working in Linux

Status
Please reply by conversation.

messinwu

Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Yes, I know there is another thread already running pertaining to this USB DVB-S2 tuner, but I wanted to give back to the linux community as well as I can to help others who follow in my footsteps of trying to get this tuner working in linux.

Yes, there are drivers available. What they don't tell you, however, is that you also need a couple of firmware files to reside in /lib/firmware before plugging it in. Then you'll pull your hair out trying to find those two firmware files. Actually, you won't -- you'll find instructions on how to extract them from a Windows .sys file. Quite a mess for a noobie like myself.

Here are the simple instructions to get the DVB World HD-2104 S2 box working in linux:

1. Upgrade your kernel to version 2.6.28, any variety will work, as long as it's .28 or higher. To compile a new kernel, if you don't know, takes time. It took roughly 2 hours on my computer, using these instructions: How To Compile A Kernel - The Fedora Way - Page 2 | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

2. Copy dvb-fe-cx24116.fw and dvb-usb-dw2104.fw into your /lib/firmware directory.

3. Open the system log so you can see activity, and plug in your device. You should now have a new adapater set up in /dev/dvb/

The elusive firmware files are attached, to make everyone's lives easier. Thanks for reading!

Attachments

• firmware.zip
    22.4 KB · Views: 1,085
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts