DVI vs. Component for Voom

xtc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 23, 2004
My installation date is approaching and would like to know what's the deal with DVI vs. Component.

I hear that DVI is the best to use but because of Voom's buggy equipment, Component should be used instead? Is this true for everyone? Please advise.

I think part of the answer depends on what you have for equipment. If it's a true "digital" device, like a plasma or LCD display, DVI should yield better PQ. If it's an RPTV, then doesn't really matter.

I'd go with whatever looks good to you.

Lob

I would connect both up and see what works best for you. I have a DLP and still having some problems with black screen using the DVI connection. The DVI has a little more detail than component. Today I switched over to component connection again.

I have a plasma panel (Pioneer PDP4340HD) and have both component and DVI to HDMI hooked up. DVI/HDMI yields better PQ when compared to component.

I have an Panny LCD RP and I had to tweak the color gain pretty heavily to get DVI to match component color saturation

I have an RCA RPTV, and component works better for me. I get a very simular picture with the DVI. However, the DVI input is shifted left about 1". Until Voom does a software upgrade, I won't be able to shift it.

-John

Himm

I have an RCA RPTV and my picture is shifted to the left was well on DVI at 1080i. On 480 it looks fine but obviously not high quality. This must have something to do with our TV's. Also the picture seems a little bit zoomed in when im in 1080i mode. It sucks when trying to read sports tickers.

See my Avatar. I'm shooting on a 110" screen and DVI yields a slightly sharper and more color true image. Component still looks dazzling but the colors seem to be too saturated.

jgantert said:
I have an RCA RPTV, and component works better for me. I get a very simular picture with the DVI. However, the DVI input is shifted left about 1". Until Voom does a software upgrade, I won't be able to shift it.

-John

I have the same problem with my D* HTL-HD Reciever using DVI on a RCA D52W20.

I have an RCA 52" widescreen projection TV. So you suggest to go with Component then?

jgantert said:

-John

This is what exactly happens to me on DVI on SD channels. I went Component but hope to get back to DVI. I have a Sammy DLP

Is it a CRT, Greg Loewen has suggested that component is actually better in most cases for analog sets. Otherwise the DVI has to sent through an AtoD stage anyway in the set to get to timing the tubes.

xtc said:
I have an RCA 52" widescreen projection TV. So you suggest to go with Component then?

Well, you get both cables with Voom, so you can try it out and see what you like better. :)

-John

How do I hook up my UXGA display?

I am considering switching from E* to voom. Currently the E* HD receiver (6000U) is hooked to my CRT projector with a HD15 connector. The voom receiver seems to only support component or dvi output - neither of which is supported by my projector. Am I SOL?

Posted the following in another thread but figured this one was probably better.

In and of itself DVI and Component cables are NOT better or worse. Now, having said that. In most cases a DVI connections from a satellite should be better but not always. Here is the reason.

Information on todays downlink satellites is sent by digital streams and not analog. The STB then has to convert the digital to analog to put it on the component cable, then your TV (if its Plasma, LCD, etc) converts that analog signal back to digital. Dependent on the electrical components in your STB and TV there could be a loss of data from those conversions. Which then leads to a loss in picture quality.

With a DVI connection the STB and TV does NOT have to convert from digital to analog because the DVI cable is a digital connection.

So....if your STB/TV is VERY good at the conversion from analog to digital and there is no interference that may cause problems on the component you very likely won't see a difference in picture quality. As mentioned in this thread, when using your DVI the picture is not aligned (off to the left an inch or so) then the TV is not converting that digital signal correctly and would need to be resolved by the TV manufacturer.

The same works the other way, if your CRT is not good at converting a DVI signal to analog then picture quality will not be as good as say component.

For those of you with RPTVs that are experiencing "image shift", that may be a simple overscan issue on that particular input on your TV.

Lob

passing_ships said:
What's a transcoder and where do I get one?

A transcoder simply changes say, component to RGB or visa versa.

Other than some rather expensive scalers that also function as transcoders, I can think of 2 manufacturers. Key Digital and Audio Authority.

Please read the specs on the devices. Some don't have the bandwidth capabilities. The Audio Authority 09A65 Component to VGA Transcoder is one which in theory should work. Supports 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i. Wideband component to RGB transcoder with RGBS, RGsB, and RGBhv support.