DVR 722K shows 'Right now All DVR features have been disabled '?

drtcom

Original poster
Mar 3, 2014
Las Vegas/ Mexico
My DVR VIP722k shows no VCR on the 'System Info Three' page though I have a dvr and it is suppose to be activated? My tech says Dish is messing with me but has anyone else seen this? When I go to the DVR button, it says 'Right now All DVR features have been disabled' Any suggestions? Can a subscription be for satellite only with no DVR functions or is this a Dish issue?

My DVR VIP722k shows no VCR on the 'System Info Three' page though I have a dvr and it is suppose to be activated? My tech says Dish is messing with me but has anyone else seen this? When I go to the DVR button, it says 'Right now All DVR features have been disabled' Any suggestions? Can a subscription be for satellite only with no DVR functions or is this a Dish issue?
The lights go on like it's recording when my previous scheduled recordings should be recorded but it looks like Dish disabled my DVR.

My DVR VIP722k shows no VCR on the 'System Info Three' page though I have a dvr and it is suppose to be activated?
I am assuming this refers to the VCR Code: 000 (which I see on System Info Two, all the way at the bottom of the list, on my ViP222k). This is for the VCR Setup feature. In my menu (which may be slightly different from yours) I can go to System Setup, then Installation, and then VCR Setup (option number 7). This allows you to enter the remote control code, to set up the receiver's IR Blast feature to control a separate VCR with a VCR-type timer. This has absolutely nothing to do with DVR functionality.

My tech says Dish is messing with me but has anyone else seen this? When I go to the DVR button, it says 'Right now All DVR features have been disabled'
Yes, I saw that a few years ago on my sister's ViP722k. I did call Dish about it, but they were clueless about what to do. I tried everything I could think of to fix it, such as changing out the separator connected to the satellite inputs, hooking the ViP722k up to a different dish, and simply leaving it unplugged for a long time before hooking it back up. DVR functions then started working again. So, I am not sure exactly what fixed it. In other words, something I did could have reset the receiver to get it to work properly again. On the other hand, it is also possible that the Dish CSR had escalated the issue to someone who could fix the authorization, and the fix came from their end while I was still fooling around with it.

Any suggestions? Can a subscription be for satellite only with no DVR functions or is this a Dish issue?
Unfortunately, yes Dish can disable DVR functions on a ViP722k. This is routinely done whenever Dish needs to send out a replacement for a (non-DVR) ViP222k receiver such as mine. My first suggestion is to log into your Dish account and check to see if you are still being charged the monthly DVR fee. If you still see that charge listed there, then the DVR authorization should still be on your account. However, I ran into a similar issue with my Dish account, that disabled DVR functionality on any Hopper-interface (Hopper Duo and Wally) receiver I tried to activate. In the case of the Wally, this was especially stupid, since my account had both the DVR-enabled code (activating external hard drive functionality) and the DVR-disable code, removing the actual DVR functions. I finally found out, thanks to another member here, that I could call a special department at Dish to get this DVR-disable code removed (at least temporarily) to get the DVR functions working again. Here is the number: 1-888-580-6656

In my case, that number was not a long-term fix. I have purchased receivers, which I activate and deactivate frequently. So, any time I would deactivate a receiver, the DVR functions would end up getting deactivated the next time I reactivated that receiver. So, I would have to call again to get it straightened out again. Calling that number may work for you, though, as long as you do not make any changes to your account after that.

Bad hard drive?
Do you still have the 9 day guide?
I can't answer for the OP. However, in both my sister's case and my case (as I described above) it was not a bad hard drive, and the nine-day guide continued to work properly the entire time, even without DVR functions. In fact, I routinely use a deactivated ViP211k, with the external hard drive still attached, precisely for the nine-day guide feature. This is because my ViP222k only has a two-day guide, and will not support the external hard drive functionality.

Bad hard drive?
Do you still have the 9 day guide?
Still have the 9 day guide and when I check on a recording program, it shows my schedule of recordings, prior scheduled shows indicate they were recorded but I can't see them nor can I set up a new recording. It will let me schedule an automatic change of channel.

Reactions: pattykay
Still have the 9 day guide and when I check on a recording program, it shows my schedule of recordings, prior scheduled shows indicate they were recorded but I can't see them nor can I set up a new recording. It will let me schedule an automatic change of channel.
That sounds exactly like the issue(s) I had. Did you try calling the special phone number I gave in post number 5? Here it is again: 1-888-580-6656

Soooo...... Have ya called Dish?
Obviously and they were no help! Crodrules gave me a number Here is the number: 1-888-580-6656 and after a call there, everything started working! It's another part of Dish and they "fixed" the problem. And yes to they tried to sell me a Hopper! Interestingly, I have another Dish subscription with a VIP722k as my travel box and they have never given me any grief about that one. Thanks everyone for your help. I've been with Dish for 30 years off and on and went through the pirate wars (out of the country where it was the only way) so I know a thing or two but age has slowed down the memory.

Obviously and they were no help! Crodrules gave me a number Here is the number: 1-888-580-6656 and after a call there, everything started working! It's another part of Dish and they "fixed" the problem. And yes to they tried to sell me a Hopper! Interestingly, I have another Dish subscription with a VIP722k as my travel box and they have never given me any grief about that one. Thanks everyone for your help. I've been with Dish for 30 years off and on and went through the pirate wars (out of the country where it was the only way) so I know a thing or two but age has slowed down the memory.
BTW, my programs had been recoding all this time:)

BTW, my programs had been recoding all this time:)
I'm glad to hear things worked out better for you than they did for me. When I had my issue with the Wally, my shows were not recording while DVR functionality was disabled. Unfortunately, by the time I found out about that special number, I had already sold all of my Wally receivers in frustration. It did help with my Hopper Duo issue, though. Like I said, it was not a long-term fix for me, however. I hope you have better luck with your account. Cheers!

What is that 6656 number.
It is Dish's Commercial Operations (Salesforce) number. Here is the post from Unpluggedtech, where I originally saw that number posted:
Again, a great big Thank You to Unpluggedtech! :hail