DVR features not working

mfs54729

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls, WI.
My mother-in-law called me this weekend saying she was having problems with her DVR. They were watching a show and
tried to pause it but it wouldn't pause, it kept jumping back to live TV. My first thought was her hard drive died. I told her I would come over this week and look at it. Then yesterday I was watching the Packers/Eagles game on Fox. As I was watching I tried to skip back to rewatch a play and it wouldn't skip back. Pressing pause would not work either, it stayed on live TV. Then last night I was talking to my Dad and my sister and the same thing happened to both of them during the Packers game. I can't see 4 DVR hard drives all dieing on the same weekend. I have a Hopper and the other three are 722s. What is going on? Can Dish enable/disable DVR features remotely? I checked this morning and I was able to view a prerecorded show so my hard drive is not completely dead. I was also able to pause a live TV show but didn't have enough time to play around with to make sure all features worked again.

Mark

I had no problem pausing it at about 20 minutes into the game. And then no problem fast forwarding.

This doesn't make sense to me. I played with my Mother-in-laws DVR and my DVR and they both are acting the same way. I cannot pause or record on the local channel 25 (FOX) or channel 13 (NBC). If I pause one of these channels it looks like it is paused, the screen freezes and the counter starts counting seconds. When I press play or pause again it jumps to live TV. I power cycled her receiver and that did not help. She has a 722 and I have a Hopper. I tried watching shows recorded in my PTAT folder and shows from 11/7 and before work but anything recorded after that does not work. The show immediately jumps to completed.

Mark

I had the game set to record, the icon was available later Sunday, just like it had recorded, but it was a 0 minute recording. Guess it wasn't a bad game to miss, but I wasn't happy!

Though I didn't have problems on 11/7, I have been having problems since Friday, 11/8. Even on Saturday, I don't remember the weather being such on Friday that it would have caused disruption. On Friday night I had two of the four channels "record" programs, but they were all 0 minutes in length, though they did show the symbol to auto-hop on Saturday (of course, there was nothing to watch). Sunday night everything seemed to record properly, but on Monday night there wasn't one program that showed auto-hop available.
I have warm-booted both Hoppers, and cold-booted the one with PTAT enabled. I don't yet know if that has helped. I delete lots of PTAT shows in which I have no interest, so I don't know if those shows had problems or not.

I watch very little live TV, so I don't know if I can pause those channels or not, but we do have the same channels, so perhaps that narrows the search? I'll try Fox 25 tonight and let you know if I can pause it.

Yes, it sounds like your receiver is doing the same thing. I sent a PM to Ray C (DIRT). He said it was not a known issue and he was going to let the engineers know.

Mark

Last edited:
Keep in mind that within about seven seconds of live, the program will jump to live. Fix is to jump back a few seconds and watch or pause.

Doesn't appear that this is quite the entire situation here but may help.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Okay, I checked all of my PTAT stations with normal pause/skip back/back behavior on two of the four--CBS-WKBT and ABC-WXOW. The other two PTAT stations behaved similarly to those described in the OP, however, I was able to pause. At first on those two stations, NBC-WEAU and FOX-WLAX, I was unable to back up to the beginning. On checking that again, skip back worked on both.

I'm still having problems with having PTAT recorded shows not show auto-hop is available. From last night's recordings (others deleted):
Castle (WXOW) - no auto-hop icon – but I can watch the show
Blacklist (WEAU) - auto-hop icon - 0 minute recording (shows 1 hr, but nothing)
Hostages (WKBT) - auto-hop icon - works normally
Sleepy Hollow (WLAX) - no auto-hop icon - 0 minute recording
Bones (WLAX) - no auto-hop icon - 0 minute recording
The Voice (WEAU) - auto-hop icon - 0 minute recording

I have two Hoppers, and both are having the problem above of 0 minute recordings.

I don’t like watching the episodes on my computer, and I really miss both my PTAT shows and others. Seems too coincidental both Hoppers would be acting up at the same time…

P.S. I checked all the PTAT channels on the second DVR and saw no problems, though other problems are mounting. I'll probably have to call for a svc call soon. I just got off the protection service last month...

You may want to disable ptat and reenable it. I read another post somewhere with the same complaint out of the lacrosse Wi DMA and it was fixed yesterday. I also believe that the person reporting the issue had to set a new timer to test it and it worked fine. So you may want to try it again.

I received a call today from someone with Dishnetwork. They said there was a problem on their end but they think it is fixed now. It seemed to be working fine last night when I checked it. He's going to call me back again tomorrow to verify that everything is still working correctly.

A big thanks to Ray with the DIRT team for getting this to the right people.

Mark

I received a call today from someone with Dishnetwork. They said there was a problem on their end but they think it is fixed now. It seemed to be working fine last night when I checked it. He's going to call me back again tomorrow to verify that everything is still working correctly.

A big thanks to Ray with the DIRT team for getting this to the right people.

Mark
I'm glad your problems are fixed, Mark, but mine continue. I don't seem to be getting 0 minute recordings since I turned PTAT off and on again, but on all ABC (WXOW) and all FOX 25 (WLAX) PTAT recordings, I have no auto-hop. I rapidly got used to auto-hop and use it at every opportunity.

Again, both 0 minute recordings and lack of auto-hop all started on November 8 on two Hoppers. Can anyone help?

Is one perhaps a sub-channel of the other? They save money on transmission but we lose on access, in some cases.
No, FOX 25 is out of Eau Claire, WI, and WXOW is from La Crosse (with its two sub-channels).

Could LNB drift be the problem? When I had 712s the LNBs had to be replaced with -9 drift. I now show 110 (-8). I thought the new DVRs could correct for that.

Thanks for helping!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)