DVR (R10) usability questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yelloguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I got my two tuner R10 installed this weekend. I have gone through the manual but have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to skip 30 seconds for commercials? The only things I found was the fast forward button which is very VCR-ish in that you have to watch the screen closely with a finger on the play button. With a 30 second skip button, you press it several times and are done. Usually a channel has fixed number of commercials between breaks and you can quickly press it that many times.

2. Is the USB port at the back of the R10 disabled? I saw on the net that a Tivo can be hooked up to the home network using a USB wireless adapter but my R10 does not recognize it when I insert it.

3. Switching the guide to show only "Channels I Receive" makes no difference. I am a former Dish network customer and their receivers only show the channels I am subscribing. This one shows all the channels and that is extremely annoying.

4. Is there a way to "browse" what is on other channels without switching channels? Again Dish Network receivers let you press the up/down arrow button while viewing the channel info banner to see info on the programs on other channels. Both my wife and I find it very handy.

yelloguy said:
I got my two tuner R10 installed this weekend. I have gone through the manual but have a few questions.

1. Is there a way to skip 30 seconds for commercials? The only things I found was the fast forward button which is very VCR-ish in that you have to watch the screen closely with a finger on the play button. With a 30 second skip button, you press it several times and are done. Usually a channel has fixed number of commercials between breaks and you can quickly press it that many times.
Yes.
http://www.tivofaq.com/Considering.html#30second

yelloguy said:
2. Is the USB port at the back of the R10 disabled? I saw on the net that a Tivo can be hooked up to the home network using a USB wireless adapter but my R10 does not recognize it when I insert it.
No DirecTiVos support USB out of the box. Everything other than the R10 can be hacked to do so. You're SOL.

yelloguy said:
3. Switching the guide to show only "Channels I Receive" makes no difference. I am a former Dish network customer and their receivers only show the channels I am subscribing. This one shows all the channels and that is extremely annoying.

You must deselect Channels you don't receive in the Settings menu.
From TiVo Central, select Messages & Setup; then Channels; then Channels You Receive.

yelloguy said:
4. Is there a way to "browse" what is on other channels without switching channels? Again Dish Network receivers let you press the up/down arrow button while viewing the channel info banner to see info on the programs on other channels. Both my wife and I find it very handy.

I think they call that a "Quick Browse" or "Quick Menu".
DirecTiVos don't have that.

H

I am trying to help someone out with their DirecTivo on the phone and need a manual online to help them with a few things. Where can I find the manual at? I went to Tivo.com and the manual will not download for me through the web browser.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)