DVR R15 turns tv off and on

Status
Please reply by conversation.

leen369

Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
New Jersey
I would appreciate any input on a weird issue I have experienced recently. I have no electrical/technical knowledge.
I have a Directv DVR model R-15. For the past year and half I've had issues with the DVR freezing or losing picture on recorded shows. Directv refused to repalce the DVR. (I've been a customer for 12 years)
About a year ago the tv it was hooked up to starting turning off and on. I replaced the surge protector that the tv was connected to and added a second surge protector and plugged the dvr into that and the problem went away.
About a month ago my tv again started turning off and on and I again replaced the surge protectors but this time it did not fix the prolem and my old 52" tv went off and would not turn on again.
I assumed the tv had finally died.
This past sunday I hooked up another tv to this dvr and last night this tv started turnng off and on!
It happened 3 or 4 times while I was watching pre-recorded shows and then I turned everything off. I then watched "live" tv and the issue did not reoccur.
This tv is on a different surge protector and the only other thing connected to it is the coaxial cable coming from the dvr.
I am going to switch out the coaxial cable but I really can't afford to fry another tv.
Any help/ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Eileen

I would appreciate any input on a weird issue I have experienced recently. I have no electrical/technical knowledge.
I have a Directv DVR model R-15. For the past year and half I've had issues with the DVR freezing or losing picture on recorded shows. Directv refused to repalce the DVR. (I've been a customer for 12 years)
About a year ago the tv it was hooked up to starting turning off and on. I replaced the surge protector that the tv was connected to and added a second surge protector and plugged the dvr into that and the problem went away.
About a month ago my tv again started turning off and on and I again replaced the surge protectors but this time it did not fix the prolem and my old 52" tv went off and would not turn on again.
I assumed the tv had finally died.
This past sunday I hooked up another tv to this dvr and last night this tv started turnng off and on!
It happened 3 or 4 times while I was watching pre-recorded shows and then I turned everything off. I then watched "live" tv and the issue did not reoccur.
This tv is on a different surge protector and the only other thing connected to it is the coaxial cable coming from the dvr.
I am going to switch out the coaxial cable but I really can't afford to fry another tv.
Any help/ideas/suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Eileen

Have you tried removing the dvr completely? That would eliminate it as the culprit. If it is the dvr, call customer service and tell them the dvr won't turn on at all. They will replace it then. I am assuming that the dvr is leased. If so, make sure that they do not extend your contract for this, since replacing defective equipment does not extend your commitment. If you don't have the protection plan, you may have to pay shipping for it, though.

Thanks for the suggestion Chip..I did remove the DVR from the 52" tv but it was too late that tv will no longer turn on. The tv I now have hooked up to it works fine on a different satellite (non DVR) receiver. Or by itself.

I did call Directv yesterday as I wanted to remove HBO from my lineup (you can no longer do this online you have to speak with someone)and as the salesman was trying to talk me into a different premium package at which point I told him how unhappy I was with Directv and thinking about changing over to cable. He said he had the authority to send a new DVR (R-22) with no contract etc..as the freezing and no picture thing was a "known" issue on the R-15. At this point I was not experiencing the tv turning off and on on the new set..I was still under the assumption that this was strictly a problem with my old tv.

Anyway they FedExed me a new DVR which just arrived...only it's another R-15 model!!!

At this point I'm not sure what to do..I've changed the batteries in the remote..made sure the remote was not facing the tv/receiver...replaced the surge protectors and this am replaced the coax cable.

Not sure if I should hook up the new DVR or just give up on Directv...I really can't afford to lose another tv.

Status
Please reply by conversation.