Dvr Recordings lost after system update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
LOL Now that was a funny post. Talk about a superiority complex. How dare that Hopper fail on 'Consumer' and how dare Dish not hand deliver a new one immediately with an apology letter and a new TV too for his/her trouble.

Good luck with that cable customer service.

Really, stupidity must be the flavor of the day...huh, I guess I didn't get the memo. Did I ask for a new TV? Did I ask for a hand delivery of anything? Did I ask for a apology? You sir, are a idiot and should keep your mouth shut when adults are talking. I write a paragraph and you take a 3 lined, drummed up analysis out of it that was not even stated in the post. LOL? I guess your box is working so that's all that matters. Well I paid a lot of money on PPVs and premiums on a so-called state of the art box that could not do a simple functioning task like record and store.

Really, stupidity must be the flavor of the day...huh, I guess I didn't get the memo. Did I ask for a new TV? Did I ask for a hand delivery of anything? Did I ask for a apology? You sir, are a idiot and should keep your mouth shut when adults are talking. I write a paragraph and you take a 3 lined, drummed up analysis out of it that was not even stated in the post. LOL? I guess your box is working so that's all that matters. Well I paid a lot of money on PPVs and premiums on a so-called state of the art box that could not do a simple functioning task like record and store.

Dude, you should get your meds checked. I hope you're enjoying your little tantrum. The few days that you MIGHT have missed when the PPV's are available for viewing after purchase is really breaking your heart isn't it. As for the premiums, record them again. No normal adult would be so upset over such a minor inconvenience. Or are you just trolling? Either way I hope you get banned for the name calling. Like I said, enjoy that cable. I'm LOL out of pity really,

I work with computers and I am very familiar with Seagate. I still have some Seagate drives with windows xp home on it, and still are running fine, just saying the runtime efficiency of a Seagate hard drive is way longer than a year . This hopper box is less than a year old. If I just want to rent movies ill go to Family Video, Blockbuster, or Red Box, if I purchase a movie on PPV to download to my DVR and I spent MONEY to buy the movie, I EXPECT it to remain on a drive or have the system to be able to read the drive and interpret it and display its directories accordingly, with the life expectancy of a year, HOPPER is one of DISH's latest models . Who the heck are you to know what "other companies" do? Ive had charter give me a promo cost for a year for a mess up on their part before because of mess-up.......wait for it......wait for it.....ON THEIR END! Don't go pointing fingers at Seagate because it's irrelevant what drive is in it, the DISH LOGO is on the outside of the box. I don't want to be compensated, it was a lack of a better word on my part. I just want a little more effort than a shrug. I never implied that providers give non DVR free DVRs or DVR privileges, and your level of ignorance has exceeded my level of tolerance. I obviously went to the wrong site for intelligent input on a genuine problem. No matter what I expect, the DISH's latest model remains inadequate and my inquiry turns into a questionable debate on my expectations of a multi-billion dollar corporations relationships with the people that made them that with a side of practical business lessons because the lack of information on the real problem has eluded your comprehension. Sometimes its just better to remain quite when you are unsure of what you are talking about rather than opening your mouth and creating a new issue.

This thread has went waaaaaaaaaay of topic and should be closed.

Perhaps you should learn more about hard drive failure rates before you go accusing me of "pointing fingers." Hard drives in general tend to have a higher failure rate within the first year. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actually-live-for

Perhaps you should learn more about hard drive failure rates before you go accusing me of "pointing fingers." Hard drives in general tend to have a higher failure rate within the first year. http://www.extremetech.com/computing/170748-how-long-do-hard-drives-actually-live-for

You do realize that I have knowledge on computers and have built all my systems rather than buying prefabbed pcs right? I did not lie about having drives over 5 years old from Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, etc. That require more of the drive than what a hopper does. You said it was out of DISH'S hands because of the hard drive did you not?

"The hard drive is a Seagate brand drive. The quality of Dish's hardware has nothing to do with HDD failure. HDDs die all the time. HDD failure is beyond Dish's control."

Last edited:
Dude, you should get your meds checked. I hope you're enjoying your little tantrum. The few days that you MIGHT have missed when the PPV's are available for viewing after purchase is really breaking your heart isn't it. As for the premiums, record them again. No normal adult would be so upset over such a minor inconvenience. Or are you just trolling? Either way I hope you get banned for the name calling. Like I said, enjoy that cable. I'm LOL out of pity really,

You are a troll you came to my thread telling me I have a complex. You came and read and posted negative and irrelevant comment to my post and put words into my mouth that I did not even say. Then proceeded to tell me to get my meds checked? If you don't like my post or my thread drink a glass of your self and just move on..... With that being said do you even know what a troll is? How can I be a troll on my own thread? SO...who is the real troll here?

If you buy a car lets say Chevy for example from the dealer. Lets say that there is a intake fuel problem, a little part of the intake that's actually faulty and its manufactured in Japan. I should take it up with Japan and not the dealer that sold me the car?

You do realize that I have knowledge on computers and have built all my systems rather than buying prefabbed pcs right? I did not lie about having drives over 5 years old from Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, etc. That require more of the drive than what a hopper does. You said it was out of DISH'S hands because of the hard drive did you not?

"The hard drive is a Seagate brand drive. The quality of Dish's hardware has nothing to do with HDD failure. HDDs die all the time. HDD failure is beyond Dish's control."

I don't care that you build your own systems. I do as well. You're trying to imply that since the HDD failed in your receiver that Dish makes shoddy equipment. Dish does not manufacture hard drives. HDDs do in fact die all the time. If you had taken a split second to look at the link I posted, you would have seen that 8% die within the first eighteen months.

This thread has went waaaaaaaaaay of topic and should be closed.

You are quite correct. The answer is no, there is no way to get the show data off the hard drive where it is viewable by you without the receiver to decode it. There is also no way to transfer from one Hopper to another without saving the shows to an intermediary external hard drive which is married to your Dish account.

I don't care that you build your own systems. I do as well. You're trying to imply that since the HDD failed in your receiver that Dish makes shoddy equipment. Dish does not manufacture hard drives. HDDs do in fact die all the time. If you had taken a split second to look at the link I posted, you would have seen that 8% die within the first eighteen months.

DISH releases its BRAND NEW SATELLITE RECIEVER the most edge cutting technology for the consumer to enjoy recording up to six shows at a time while enjoying the prime time live broadcast at the same time! So if any part of the box fails I should blame the manufacturer of the intricate part that cause the failure? LOL. DISH should sale used cars on the side! Everything has a life expectancy....screws have a life expectancy. My service was interrupted for three days as well as the loss of ALL my recorded content. Seagate has a mutual contract with DISH not me. DISH accepts all responsibility ergo there contract with Seagate. I don't send two payments to two different companies for satellite service. Get the drift?

You are quite correct. The answer is no, there is no way to get the show data off the hard drive where it is viewable by you without the receiver to decode it. There is also no way to transfer from one Hopper to another without saving the shows to an intermediary external hard drive which is married to your Dish account.

Thanks for the response Dudleydog73

DISH releases its BRAND NEW SATELLITE RECIEVER the most edge cutting technology for the consumer to enjoy recording up to six shows at a time while enjoying the prime time live broadcast at the same time! So if any part of the box fails I should blame the manufacturer of the intricate part that cause the failure? LOL. DISH should sale used cars on the side! Everything has a life expectancy....screws have a life expectancy. My service was interrupted for three days as well as the loss of ALL my recorded content. Seagate has a mutual contract with DISH not me. DISH accepts all responsibility ergo there contract with Seagate. I don't send two payments to two different companies for satellite service. Get the drift?

Alright. You win. Enjoy Charter. See ya.

You are a troll you came to my thread telling me I have a complex. You came and read and posted negative and irrelevant comment to my post and put words into my mouth that I did not even say. Then proceeded to tell me to get my meds checked? If you don't like my post or my thread drink a glass of your self and just move on..... With that being said do you even know what a troll is? How can I be a troll on my own thread? SO...who is the real troll here?

Nobody put words in your mouth, I was being sarcastic.

Your attitude is arrogant and poor and your expectations are ridiculous. I still hope you get banned for the name calling.

And again, enjoy your cable.

Last edited:
Life expectancy is an average time to failure, not a guarantee. Unfortunately, you fell on the short end of that curve, and Dish did what they do for anyone with this problem, they replaced the receiver. When my parents had Comcast they did exactly the same when their DVR failed. Suddenlink with my inlaws...same thing. There is nothing here to be up in arms about.

One more thing, be sure to back up your recordings to an EHD from Charter's DVR to protect yourself from this happening again.

This is the funniest thing I have seen in awhile... I mean really.... With the ppv you can't see it after the time limit anyways and if you are within that time limit you can still get it no problem. Reason it's called PAY PER VIEW. The hard drive is just a super silly thing to get upset about on a hopper I mean really you have the awesome search option on the hopper that allows you to find your show almost instantly and start recording your shows again. Not to mention the on demand is actually quite large on dish and growing almost monthly!! You can watch several of your shows without even recording them! ;D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Life expectancy is an average time to failure, not a guarantee. Unfortunately, you fell on the short end of that curve, and Dish did what they do for anyone with this problem, they replaced the receiver. When my parents had Comcast they did exactly the same when their DVR failed. Suddenlink with my inlaws...same thing. There is nothing here to be up in arms about.

So this is a ongoing problem with DISH? Bad DVRs. GG. 172 recorded movies and series did not just happen over night. That's pretty crappy that the box is less than a year old and when you call up customer service and its a "sucks to be you" attitude "here is a new box. You know...like no compassion at all.....its happened to us all probably, like when a pc crashes or blue screens and you lose all your pictures and special docs, it sucks, but you do get over it because you bought the pc years ago with a one time fee of the retail price, but here is something that you spend money on monthly and it fluctuates when you buy VOD's, PPV's, and Live TV to be recorded. You start to count on technology to do its job especially when you upgrade and keep your home up to date with the times via a healthy monthly payment to insure it. And its NEW, Latest Release, etc. What seems like no big to you doesn't mean it isn't to others. When you swipe your card at the gas pump don't you expect the pump to pump gasoline? Its the same theory. If you want to serve the mass public with this new era of technology don't you want all your i's dotted and your t's crossed? Has new big business forgotten the consumer that made them who they are today. Used to be customers were gravely appreciated and the business would go up and beyond to keep them, but now its a shrug of the shoulders and a get over it attitude and the enjoy our competition? Well Ill probably go back to satellite again in the future but right now its not a option for me, I guess when all other options are exhausted, Ill come back around.

So this is a ongoing problem with DISH? Bad DVRs. GG. 172 recorded movies and series did not just happen over night. That's pretty crappy that the box is less than a year old and when you call up customer service and its a "sucks to be you" attitude "here is a new box. You know...like no compassion at all.....its happened to us all probably, like when a pc crashes or blue screens and you lose all your pictures and special docs, it sucks, but you do get over it because you bought the pc years ago with a one time fee of the retail price, but here is something that you spend money on monthly and it fluctuates when you buy VOD's, PPV's, and Live TV to be recorded. You start to count on technology to do its job especially when you upgrade and keep your home up to date with the times via a healthy monthly payment to insure it. And its NEW, Latest Release, etc. What seems like no big to you doesn't mean it isn't to others. When you swipe your card at the gas pump don't you expect the pump to pump gasoline? Its the same theory. If you want to serve the mass public with this new era of technology don't you want all your i's dotted and your t's crossed? Has new big business forgotten the consumer that made them who they are today. Used to be customers were gravely appreciated and the business would go up and beyond to keep them, but now its a shrug of the shoulders and a get over it attitude and the enjoy our competition? Well Ill probably go back to satellite again in the future but right now its not a option for me, I guess when all other options are exhausted, Ill come back around.

Man yeah it's a ongoing problem with EVERY tv service. Even those TiVo boxes you can buy at bestbuy for cable have hard drive failures from time to time. Even XBOX and PLAYSTATION have harddrive failures. What happens then? Do you expect Microsoft to give you a discount on the monthly because of it? No? They will send you a new harddrive even though you lost all your game saves.

What do you expect dish to do exactly? Pay you because a harddrive failed? More then likely dish offered you 5$ off a month or so for x amount of months. That's a hell of a lot more then anyone else would do for you.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)