Dvr Recordings lost after system update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm just not sure what you expect Dish to do other than offer to replace your broken receiver. They can't magically transfer recordings off of a broken HDD to save them for you. What else were you looking for Dish to do (other than sending a replacement)?

I've had two Hoppers for nearly two years now and no such problems, but a hard drive dying is always a risk. The way you're making it sound, it's as if the Hopper line is defective and Dish is knowingly putting a bad product, prone to HDD failure, out in the field. That's simply not the case. You had some bad luck and drew the short end of the stick on the HDD failure curve, but it's not indicative of a widespread problem.

The situation sucks, and I feel bad that you lost your recordings, but it's something that could happen to any device with a hard drive. Hopefully you have better luck with your Charter DVR, but the risk will always be there.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Used to be customers were gravely appreciated and the business would go up and beyond to keep them, but now its a shrug of the shoulders and a get over it attitude and the enjoy our competition? Well Ill probably go back to satellite again in the future but right now its not a option for me, I guess when all other options are exhausted, Ill come back around.

Did you ever consider that your attitude you presented at the outset in dealing with this problem, both in this forum, and possibly with Dish reps, caused the negative responses you have received from all involved? Maybe Dish is as glad to be rid of you as a customer as you are to be rid of them.

You reap what you sow.

And as I said before more then likely dish offered you a discount and probably would have even been a higher discount if you talk decent with them.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As others say, hard drive failures do happen for Dish or anyone else (and it definitely sucks to lose all those recordings).

As a tech who does plenty of service calls on H/J jobs I can count on 2 fingers the number of Hoppers I have seen with that issue since they were released that I have had to swap out (yes anecdotal, but so is your experience and I am drawing from many more situations than just 1). To be honest I have seen many many more instances of it with say a 625 or 722 (but then again those are all older and age increases your chances with this problem). I have had to swap out a few more because of other issues (be it software or hardware related), but not that many in comparison to the number that I have installed. It's just not that common of an issue overall.

As far as Dish policy, they have never really done much (as far as a customer losing recordings) when a customer needs to swap out a bad receiver. They may tell you to transfer to an EHD if possible, but usually it's too late at this point. I know some folks can talk them into some credits.

I've had 2 HwSs, 3 H2ks, 2 Joeys, 3 722ks and a 625 over the past 9 or so years I've had Dish, and not a single one has failed. Yep Dish truly has some bad hardware...

EDIT: Oh and 2 322s

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

I've had 2 HwSs, 3 H2ks, 2 Joeys, 3 722ks and a 625 over the past 9 or so years I've had Dish, and not a single one has failed. Yep Dish truly has some bad hardware...

EDIT: Oh and 2 322s

Crazy lol. ;P I do this for a living and only upgraded once lol...

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

:deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead:deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead :deadhorse: :dead
deadhorse.gif
deadhorsebeat_2.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorsebeat_2.gif
deadhorse.gif
deadhorsebeat_2.gif

I feel sorry for that horse!:D Kind of does a number on the eyes too.

Thanks. I am. Good day to you.

I hope they aren't using those Scientific Atlanta boxes anymore. Those things were the pits, first you only get enough space to record a weeks worth of shows you'll never reach 172 recordings on that, maybe 30 if you're lucky. Second, the interface and features are TERRIBLE. If they are now using Motorola boxes those things are pitifully slow. For your sake I hope your Charter has TiVo boxes and those still aren't all that great. I used them with Suddenlink when I was contemplating leaving DISH and going all cable. Recording space and Interface were an issue.

My experience with the Scientific Atlanta boxes are the 8300 HD model.

^ The horse beating and the monitor bashing are in sync!

Did you ever consider that your attitude you presented at the outset in dealing with this problem, both in this forum, and possibly with Dish reps, caused the negative responses you have received from all involved? Maybe Dish is as glad to be rid of you as a customer as you are to be rid of them.

You reap what you sow.

Maybe because I pay money for a service and a box to record shows and they failed on both ends of the spectrum ergo my attitude? Its not rocket science. I paid a premium and had the latest up to date technology and it failed. They can retrieve the data btw so all that says they cant, can eat their plate of crow now. Also was offered 20 dollars off a month for 6 months as well. Anything else you want to babble on about, that you don't know wtf you are saying? This is why I have a attitude. I keep getting these random people judging my attitude and asking what I expect, because they are nothing more than trolls. Can you people read my thread posts? I OVERSTATED what I expect and what I want to know on multiple posts. If you still don't get it then you must be on the shallow end of your gene pool.

They can retrieve the data btw so all that says they cant, can eat their plate of crow now.
Please elaborate. How would you know this if you are no longer a Dish customer and turned down a $120 compensation for your troubles?

So, have you successfully backed up your recordings on Charter to an EHD to prevent something like this from happening again?

Last edited:
I've had two or three hard drives fail in DVR's over the past 14 years of owning them. I would be upset too if I lost a bunch of episodes that I recorded and did not get to watch and would expect some sort of compensation if I lost a bunch of shows that I didn't get to see. At least one can watch some on demand content online these days. About all you can do is request a credit and a new receiver. That's all they can do. Dish does have some of the best technology in the business though and hardware is going to fail from time to time, particularly hard drives.

They can retrieve the data btw so all that says they cant, can eat their plate of crow now.
Yeah good luck with that, it isn't a service Dish offers. Period.

Whether it is technically possible or not doesn't matter (If the hard drive didn't fail, it could technically be possible to retrieve, I guess) since it won't happen. Dish doesn't give techs the tools or training to do anything like that so it won't happen at a customers house. And they don't give you the option to send it in and have something like that done.

Yeah good luck with that, it isn't a service Dish offers. Period.

Whether it is technically possible or not doesn't matter (If the hard drive didn't fail, it could technically be possible to retrieve, I guess) since it won't happen. Dish doesn't give techs the tools or training to do anything like that so it won't happen at a customers house. And they don't give you the option to send it in and have something like that done.

Nor do any other providers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts