DVR Records Random Programs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

brianwolters

Original poster
Jul 14, 2005
Hello!

I just hooked up with my new DirecTV DVR and I noticed that it will tape random shows that I am not even interested in or even bothered scheduled to be recorded. Is this normal or do I need to change a setting somewhere?

Thanks,
Brian

I highly recommend leaving them on.
Suggestions:
* are only recorded if you haven't scheduled something to record.
* only use disk space not needed for something you've scheduled to record
* are always deleted first before scheduled recordings are deleted.

TiVos have no way to see how much space is left on the recorder -- however, by the number of suggestions, you can get a good estimate.
For example, if my TiVo is mostly empty, I can have upwards of 130 suggestions.
If my TiVo has too much set "Keep Until I Delete", they may dwindle as low as 40.

The quality of suggestions depends on how many programs you give Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down to. Eventually, it may find programs you never knew existed, but that you'll enjoy a lot.

thanks for the tips..I will turn off TiVo suggestions...just need to find where the option is located.

It's funny, at first I thought "Suggestions" was a stupid, useless feature. Now I wouldn't turn it off for anything. Just yesterday it recorded a marathon of shows that I used to watch all the time but forgot about. If it records stuff I don't want I just delete it.

kbohip said:
It's funny, at first I thought "Suggestions" was a stupid, useless feature. Now I wouldn't turn it off for anything. Just yesterday it recorded a marathon of shows that I used to watch all the time but forgot about. If it records stuff I don't want I just delete it.

yeah all my dvrs have them turned on.... its funny in the bedroom my wife uses it the most and all these kiddy shows are recorded.... makes for good saturday morning cartoons (for those of us who remember them)

Is there any way to prevent the "Suggestions" from recording channels to which I am not subscribed? I've changed my guide preferences to list only channels to which I am currently subscribed but the I am always noticing the DVR recording a blank screen w D*'s "To subscribe..." on the bottom.

The funny thing is it's apparently smart enough to realize that it recorded an hour of black because they don't actually show up in the Now Playing listings. It's more of nuisance to know that it's diligently recording unnecessarily.

Can I change this?

you'd have to set the channel listing on the Tivo and make sure the channel tivo recorded is not checked. if it is, take the check away.

I know im being kinda vauge here, but its all in the manual about setting up your "channels you receive"

digitalworld said:
The funny thing is it's apparently smart enough to realize that it recorded an hour of black because they don't actually show up in the Now Playing listings. It's more of nuisance to know that it's diligently recording unnecessarily.

Can I change this?
If this recording of "nothing" is happening after midnight, it is probably the service downloads that are processing.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts