DVR Service Fee?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tom40

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
PA
Pardon a basic question.
I am a 10 year DirecTV user. Thus I have a 10 year old SD receiver that I want to upgrade to a DVR (R22?). I want to replace my old receiver, not add an additional one, so I will end up with just a single receiver.

In my conversation with DirecTV, today, they offered me a free DVR with no Lease Fee, but still want to charge me a DVR Service Fee of $6/month.

They stated "that the DVR will not be able to record if I don't have the DRV Service."

I asked if that meant I could not even pick a time/date/start/end time to record a show (like my VCR) and she said "no."

What is the straight scoop? If I went to Walmart or Best Buy and bought a DVR for $99 would I have the same battle?

In other words, how can I get a DVR connected to DirecTV without paying an additional $6/month?

TIA
Tom

No , You no longer can lease an DVR without the DVR function.
Just like and HD DVR you must pay $10 for HD and $6 for the DVR. But that covers your entire account.

My cable company chages $18 per month for every HD DVR.
Dish charges $12 after the first, Unless you have the everything pack.
D* charges $6 fee for the first and $5 for all addtional each.

My cable company chages $18 per month for every HD DVR.
Dish charges $12 after the first, Unless you have the everything pack.
D* charges $6 fee for the first and $5 for all addtional each.
just to clear that up so there is no confusion. a reaccuring dvr free is $6 no matter if its one box or ten ,and the $5 is each additional reciever after the primary reciever. so if you only have one box you dont have a lease fee

Wow, am I out of touch, or what??? What a rip off by all the suppliers everywhere.

I don't record much, just like the second half of Monday Night Football game last night so I can get some sleep.

For $72/yr I might as well keep on using my VCR!

Thanks... I guess... :rant::rant::rant:

Tom

Yep, its gotten spendy. It wasnt bad 7-8+ years ago when tivo would offer lifetime service for $150 or $199, especially since I still have a couple of 9 year old tivo's clunking along.

Yep, its gotten spendy. It wasnt bad 7-8+ years ago when tivo would offer lifetime service for $150 or $199, especially since I still have a couple of 9 year old tivo's clunking along.
yeah but the only problem with that is anytime you try to add any type of DVR product to your account and you do have the lifetime tivo, the system automaticly adds the DVR service fee to the account then you have to battle with the csr's to take it back off. been there done that

Wow, am I out of touch, or what??? What a rip off by all the suppliers everywhere.

I don't record much, just like the second half of Monday Night Football game last night so I can get some sleep.

For $72/yr I might as well keep on using my VCR!

Thanks... I guess... :rant::rant::rant:

Tom

so why upgrade to a HDDVR while you can upgrade to a HD and get a VCR hooked up, or a HDMI VHS/DVD combo?

( i have a JVC dvd recorder/vhs combo) and i can record shows, HOWEVER, if the show is on a channel , i need to leave the D* on and on that channel i wanna record. DVR will record what show you want regardless what channel its on and you can have the DVR turned off.

To me having the pause/record live TV is priceless. I start a show and go do something else for 10 to 15 min. Comeback and rewind to beginning. Then skip the commercials. By the end of the hour I'm about caught up to real time and haven't had to watch a single commercial. Also not having to change tapes and DVD's is nice too!

Recording the HD movies on the DVR is awesome too! Your VHS/DVD PQ is yuck! You would need a Blue-Ray recorder to compare PQ too!

My $16.00 HD/DVR fee is well worth it IMO. I save that much making my morning Joe at home and skipping the snack machine at work!

just my 2:D

jet

oh i wont argue, i got a HDDVR as well. i record the best movies to my DVD recorder, so i can delete them off my Hard Drive on the HD DVR. but some movies are protected and wont record onto a DVD.

oh i wont argue, i got a HDDVR as well. i record the best movies to my DVD recorder, so i can delete them off my Hard Drive on the HD DVR. but some movies are protected and wont record onto a DVD.

Thanks for the info on the copy-guard. That surprises me since I was planning on buying a DVD recorder record a few movies from my HR22-100 DVR. I'm guessing that there's no way to tell which DTV movies are protected without trying to record them? Are the DTV recorded movies macrovision protected?

Thanks for the info on the copy-guard. That surprises me since I was planning on buying a DVD recorder record a few movies from my HR22-100 DVR. I'm guessing that there's no way to tell which DTV movies are protected without trying to record them? Are the DTV recorded movies macrovision protected?

Some DVD recorders are more sensitive to copy flags than others, Checkout the DVD recorder section on AVS.

Yep, I have a very inexpensive off brand dvd recorder that doesnt seem to care about copy flags.

I have a HR22 and R22. I get a $5.99 credit for my DVR fee every month(been that way since I started last November) but I do get a $5 charge for my R22. I came from Charter with a Multi Room Moxi. My charge was $24.95 for Moxi and $8.99 for HD. So I am still way ahead with Directv.

Mine is a magnavox (I forget if Funai or Philips makes their stuff) that I bought from sams club for $59 (resale customer return) a long time ago. It only does single layer recordings, has a horrid remote control with lots of little buttons, and the worst menu system I've ever seen.

However it seems disinterested in copy protection since its recorded everything I've thrown at it, and even recording 6 hours to a single layer dvd (mostly kids shows) it looks good on the 10" screen in the car.

I can go dig it out of the cabinet to see if I can find the model number if you're really interested, but I doubt you'd find one for sale except maybe used or in a goodwill store.

well i recorded the movie Cars for my niece and nephew and it allowed me to do so, but when i did it the second time, it wouldnt let me.

id say dont buy a JVC. they suck. i paid way too much and it only recorded for 3 months period and it was done. now the DVD wont even play anymore.

id do some research befor you buy... which i should of done bc when i looked up the model i have, there was 90% negative average on them. my dumb fault bought a $200.00 plus system.

Mine is a magnavox (I forget if Funai or Philips makes their stuff) that I bought from sams club for $59 (resale customer return) a long time ago. It only does single layer recordings, has a horrid remote control with lots of little buttons, and the worst menu system I've ever seen.

However it seems disinterested in copy protection since its recorded everything I've thrown at it, and even recording 6 hours to a single layer dvd (mostly kids shows) it looks good on the 10" screen in the car.

I can go dig it out of the cabinet to see if I can find the model number if you're really interested, but I doubt you'd find one for sale except maybe used or in a goodwill store.

I like the Maggies too. They still make them for about $100.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)