DVR software for FTA card?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

carload

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
I'm considering getting one of those FTA PC cards and slamming it into one of my underused computers around here. Do they come with DVR software (as my OTA PC card did), or is there something suitable available for download?

There are a few things. ProgDVB and RitzDVB are the ones I have used. They are more for watching TV, but I sucessfully watched the famous DISH 500 channel on my laptop from the main desktop using ProgDVB so if you have a network, you can control the card from, say, the bedroom.

I think ProgDVB is the easiest, but my Athlon 700 just couldn't hold up.

I've got a Twinhan card in my PC. Its a Athlon 1400. It keeps up pretty well. I've used ProgDVB and Ritz too. I've had better luck with Ritz personally, although the learning curve was probably a little higher. ProgDVB allows pausing of live programs, which Ritz won't. Ritz can do HD which Prog can't, although with KU you're pretty much limited to PBS for HD. A lot of folks like MyTheatre. It allows pausing of live programs, and also does HD. The interface is a little nicer too. I don't use it though, as its shareware and am too cheap to pay the $40. MT may be a better DVR choice though.

Mike

Status
Please reply by conversation.