Dvr storage.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

kpip99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 18, 2012
I'm currently with uverse but thinking about switching to dish or direct tv. Roughly how many hours of HD and how many hours of SD will direct tv's biggest dvr hold ?

Thanks.

If you get the HR34, it has a larger 1TB drive, but you can add a 2TB external to any of em. Im using a 2TB external on my HR34, and with roughly 50 hours of HD satellite recordings I am currently using 10% :)

Looked up the data. An HR24, with a 500gb drive, can hold " Allows you to record up to 100 Hours of MPEG4 HD or 400 Hours of SD Programmning". So double that for the HR34 with a stock drive.

I just found a website that offers an hr34 dvr with a 2tb hard drive. I couldn't find it offered on direct tv's website. Do they not offer it with a 2tb hard drive? Wonder why not ?

Yeah the 2tb dvr is 799.99 on weaknees I wish direct tv offered it themselves for like 199.99 with a 2 year contract. I'm trying to decide between dish and direct. I'm with uverse now the hopper sounds good but direct is looking more and more appealing.

I was able to get my HR34 in Jan for $199 IIRC, and then $150 for the 2TB drive and an enclosure, it wasnt bad. I was six weeks behind at one point during the Spring TV season, but my storage capacity did not even have a dent in it.

So you have a 2tb external hard drive hooked up to your dvr at all times ? Do you know anything about burning recorded content onto a DVD with a DVD recorder? It is possible to do with direct right ?

Yes. With Directv, once you connect the external the internal spins down, you can only use one or the other. With Dish, you use both and can transfer recordings back and forth between them. The Dish EHD solution is better overall, but I prefer Directv's service.

Not sure on the other, never messed with it.

Thanks. And I'm leaning towards direct. A friend of mine has it and says the customer service is really good. And the offers they have right now are really good. I wanna go with the top package. Lots of discounts for the first 2 years and free nfl Sunday ticket for this season. Hard to pass up.

Yeah, you can always get ST as a new sub, which is great for NFL fans. Best thing about the HR34 is 5 tuners, I never have conflicts.

So with 5 tuners how does that work? You can record 2 hd channels and 3 hd channels all at once or what ?

kpip99 said:
So with 5 tuners how does that work? You can record 2 hd channels and 3 hd channels all at once or what ?

You can record up to five programs at once. They can be all hd or all sd or a mix of hd and sd. And if it is connected to the internet, you can download a sixth program while recording the five programs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)