DVR streaming out of home going away

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KenStomski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Western Massachusetts
In a notice from AT&T it is announced that effective March 4, 2019 that streaming DVR recordings will no longer be available out of home. How is it AT&T is moving backwards, when it seems that all of the other major providers allow this feature?

I was really disappointed when DirecTV Bricked my Genie GO.

Since then AT&T is ruining DirecTV bit by bit and day by Day.

John

In a notice from AT&T it is announced that effective March 4, 2019 that streaming DVR recordings will no longer be available out of home. How is it AT&T is moving backwards, when it seems that all of the other major providers allow this feature?
I dont think you created enough threads on various forums

Reactions: ncted
I had a Nomad years ago, before they were rebranded GenieGo. Never really used it much because I thought the streaming quality was so poor. I haven’t played around with this stuff since GenieGo went EOL since I don’t care to stream video that often. But my question is, is the work around this running a VPN at home and routing all of the traffic through the VPN?

For example, I also have Charter cable. All channels can be streamed in house, but a lot of channels are not authorized for out of house streaming. If I connect to my home VPN from work or from my mobile hotspot or whatever I can stream the entire channel line up just like as if I was at home. Could the same work around be applied to DirecTV?

An interesting side note, the Spectrum TV smartphone app will not allow me to stream if I’m connected to my VPN but on a normal Windows PC all I have to do is launch Cisco AnyConnect, connect to home and sign on to Spectrum TV through the web interface and it work perfectly.

When did they BRICK your Genie Go ?
The Genie Go or Nomad was a great device, I didn't use it for streaming while away from home, but I did use it to download DVR recordings (prior to leaving) to a device I took with me. DirecTV bricked any and ALL Genie Go devices in November 2016.

I was really PISSED at the time as I spent over $100 of MY MONEY and DirecTV basically destroyed this device by telling all my DirecTV DVR's devices to refuse to connect to the Genie GO. So I then had a $100 Door Stop.

John

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)