DVR Work w/o Phone Line?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

logixrat

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2006
Hey all, I deicided to take the leap and try D*. I tried E* earlier this year and was very displeased. I am hopeful for a better experience this time around.

When setting up my order, I opted for the DVR unit. When speaking with the CSR I noted I did not have a land line and asked if it was a problem. He said it was necessary for the DVR unit, but he had heard of customers somehow bypassing the requirement. Of course he would not elaborate on the method.

My thoughts was I might need to do the initial hook up at a buddy's house with a land line, and then xfer back to my house.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I have an R10 DirecTivo. Bellsouth services were terminated in Jan. The only adverse effect I have noticed is that, for the 81st day in a row, I got a message telling me that it has not been able to dial out. No sh!t sherlock. It still records the Tivo selections. I have not been able to figure out how to make it stop, except to give everything 3 thumbs down. Some of the stuff it decides to record is just bizarre. Recently, it got on a victim channel kick. WTF??! We don't even watch that channel!

Hmmm...not sure the exact model number. I ordered this past Sunday afternoon, 3/26, and I know it has 100 hours of recording time. Does that help narrow it down?

logixrat said:
Hmmm...not sure the exact model number. I ordered this past Sunday afternoon, 3/26, and I know it has 100 hours of recording time. Does that help narrow it down?

Yes, you are geting the DirecTV/NDS DirecTV Plus reciever (model: R15). You don't need a phone line (even though it's in your contract), but you will not be able to order anything off of the reciever.

Thanks jonaswan2 for the confirmation on the receiver model. I could careless about ordering via the remote. Actually from what I have read here, ordering online is better because then you can watch the programming on ANY receiver vs. the one you ordered on with the remote.

I get hooked up tomorrow between 8am and 12:30pm. I'm rather excited, and hope it all goes well.

So let me get this clear...

If I buy an R10, I DO need a phone line to activate, but if I buy an R15, I dont even need the phone line to activate the unit?

Am I correct?

Thanks
Bill

I'm up to my 110th day with no home phone service. My DirecTivo R10 keeps reminding me. As long as it keeps recording, its all good!

D* does not offer receivers with tivo integrated anymore. You will definately get a dvr plus(r15 model) so no worries there and happy recording :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)