DVR625 and ota broadcasts

JLoft

Feb 4, 2005
I’ve just upgraded to a DVR625 and am trying to get my antenna (ota) signal set up correctly.

Before: A 4700 receiver in the great room with a TV there. VHF/UHF antenna on top of a tower fed to the back of the 470. I ran a coax from the back output of the 4700 to the TV in the bedroom. With the remote I could press “TV/Video” to switch between dish and ota in the bedroom. Worked great. Of course I had to watch the same Dish channel as was playing in the great room.

Now: Replaced the 4700 with a DVR625. Same coax cable going out of the 625 to the bedroom TV, which is set to channel 60. Dish programming comes in fine. Two tuners in the 625 are certainly nice.

But I can’t get the TV/Video button to work. There is absolutely nothing in the user’s manual about this button on the remote. So will it still do what I want (send ota to the bedroom)?

In my searches on this site I saw one person used a two port “combiner” to feed the dish receiver output and ota through one coax another room? Is that correct? Is that the only way?

Thanks folks!

BTW, the installer, nice guy and all, was clueless about anything and everything. He ran around like mad, left connections all wrong, and a mess in the house. Too many appointments in a day I guess...

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Earth
In my searches on this site I saw one person used a two port “combiner” to feed the dish receiver output and ota through one coax another room? Is that correct? Is that the only way?
Yes that is the only way.

JLoft

Feb 4, 2005
OK, that's the way I'll do it. But I'm still curious - does the TV/Video button do anything at all on the 625?

topcat0399

SatelliteGuys Pro
Feb 28, 2007
what are you guys talking about? pass thru???? the "tv/video" button is programmed to the TV set, not the dishbox. If your dish remote is programmed to work your tv's volume/channel/on-off functions....then your TV/VIdeo buton MIGHT also switch your tv's inputs. Just like the "menu" button MIGHT bring up your tv's menu. It depends....

JLoft

Feb 4, 2005
Thanks guys. I ordered up a combiner as suggested. I also read the entire 625 manual. There is one small part that mentions the TV/Video button. Evidently it switches the coax output for TV1 only to ota. That's it. All other outputs remain unaffected. No good for my application (or most others I would suspect).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)