E*, D* and credit scrores...I hate these ppl!

scootman

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Ok, Let me start this thread by saying that I jumped on the Voom bandwagon at the last possible minute and LOVED it. I miss my HD now, a lot. I live in a VERY rural area with NO cable providers.
My only options at this point are obviously D*and E* and I really don't like either one of them.
Now, to complicate matters even more is there is almost NO ota reception in my area.
Now, I can 1. Move to town. or 2. Subscribe to one of the to mentioned above. or 3. Do WITHOUT.
My wife won't let me have option 1 and frankly I don't like that option either.
My CREDIT SCORE (due to identity theft 2 YEARS ago) is causing me problems with option 2.
and
Preservation of my own sanity is preventing option 3.
due to my credit score being complete crap (ppl, please shread your discarded bank statements) I have a REAL problem getting service from either D* or E* and I am sure that I am not the only person out there with this same problem. What are we the non-credit-worthy supposed to do at this point?
Voom, did not do credit checks, which may have contributed to their downfall, who knows? It probably would have not made much of a difference if they had.
So, anyone with any ideas or thoughts?

1. offer D* or E* a security deposit, or pay a year in advance.

2. try the canadian satellite companies. everybody is so trustworthy up there they might not think to check credit scores. you can get service in the U.S> if you get a canadian address through a broker

3. make home videos of the farm animals and pretend it's equator; film your wife riding a bmx and pretend it's bmxpigs; and...well, did you subscribe to PlayboyHD?

I have credit problems and D* let me buy my own equip, self install, then just pay month in advance for programming. That is no sweat off of their backs, if you don't pay the next month, they just kill your box and are not out anything. I got a good HD box on e-bay for $170.

scootman said:
Ok, Let me start this thread by saying that I jumped on the Voom bandwagon at the last possible minute and LOVED it. I miss my HD now, a lot. I live in a VERY rural area with NO cable providers.
My only options at this point are obviously D*and E* and I really don't like either one of them.
Now, to complicate matters even more is there is almost NO ota reception in my area.
Now, I can 1. Move to town. or 2. Subscribe to one of the to mentioned above. or 3. Do WITHOUT.
My wife won't let me have option 1 and frankly I don't like that option either.
My CREDIT SCORE (due to identity theft 2 YEARS ago) is causing me problems with option 2.
and
Preservation of my own sanity is preventing option 3.
due to my credit score being complete crap (ppl, please shread your discarded bank statements) I have a REAL problem getting service from either D* or E* and I am sure that I am not the only person out there with this same problem. What are we the non-credit-worthy supposed to do at this point?
Voom, did not do credit checks, which may have contributed to their downfall, who knows? It probably would have not made much of a difference if they had.
So, anyone with any ideas or thoughts?

D* may charge you upfront but you get it back by getting 10:00 off your bill each month until you get it all back.

I am not sure about E* i know they sometimes charge 200.00 upfront but i am not sure if you get credit back of the next few months.

t

Dish used to, and may still have, what they call "Free-for-All" that might be for people with low credit scores. You pay for the equipment up-front and then they credit you back the whole amount over 12 months or so.... Hence, it's "free" (in the end).

DIRECTV requires a credit score of 540 or higher to activate new service without a deposit. If you pay the deposit they do credit your account $10./per month until you get back all of the advance deposit.

Some customers with lower credit scores use a partner or relatives information to set up the account.

-Robert

If your looking to get E* you may want to try a local retailer. Explain to him your situation and see if they will go to bat for you as far as getting you qualified. I have a friend that went thru the same ordeal you did and I got him the DHA plan by contacting E* and as I guess you may call it, sticking my neck out for him.

I subscribed to D* about a year ago with a credit score fairly low due to my own incompetence and being 21 with multiple credit cards but they activated service and gave me the equipment but i had to make a 49.99 deposit which i got back at $10 over 5 mos... my credit score was lower than the 540 mentioned (and still is :-( ) and I only went with SD (I refuse to pay the 400 for 7 channels of hd when I am still getting OTA with voom) but I can't imagine it would be much different as with HD D* you still have to pay $300 or $400 up front for the equipment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)