Voom Switch - E* / D* Comparison

GLBorchert

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
I've had E* service since 1997 but added Voom a while back. Loved it! When Voom went down I added D* in its place, so I could compare E* with D* side-by-side.

I always wondered about D*, whether or not it was better than E*, and also why D* had more subscribers than E*.

Though in truth I think both providers do a reasonably good job and are far superior to the non-satellite options, I'd have to say that in my side-by-side comparisons, E* is an easy winner. (Am comparing E* 811 to D* H10).

Obviously, now that E* has the Voom channels plus TNTHD that D* does not have, E* has taken a serious lead in HD programming. But, the advantages don't stop there.

Prior to installing D*, I read on this board that E* had better HD PQ than D* has. My own perception is that while they both have good PQ, those who made that claim are right. E* wins the PQ war. It does seems that the E* signal has greater consistency - has that HD "Pop" on every HD channel.

Also, though I know I was accustomed to the E* channel guide, I have found the D* channel guide system to be very cumbersome. On E*, the channels you don't get are highlighted in red on the guide, so you don't waste your time with them. I haven't figured out any way to get my D* receiver to indicate the channels I'm not getting, so I waste a lot of time clicking on them. (Am I missing something obvious??) Also, it seems to me that the D* guide system adds extra steps in obtaining program info, and that its context sensitive guides (sports, movies, HD, etc.) aren't very accurate.

I think I now understand why D* pays $700 million a year to the NFL for exclusive rights. Without NFL Sunday Ticket, I don't think D* could compete with E* - at least not at this point in time. D*'s got the NFL edge, but that's about it.

I have both as well and I agree about the PQ. E* does a better job on the HD channels (which is what I care about). D* is not too far but E* wins it.

From a former D* and V* user...

I agree. I had D* before switching to V* last November. I clearly remember what appeared to be MPEG artifacts (mostly blotchy color shading) on some channels. This went away when I switched to V* and I have not seen it since my switch to E*. I still think V* might have had a little better HD picture quality. But if it did, the difference was very slight. I've very happy with PQ on both SD and HD channels.

I had both Direct TV and Dish also for a while.

Dish HD got that " WOW! " factor from friends that came over. It kind of knocked you out of your chair.

Direct was "oh thats nice"

I hooked my Panasonic dvd recorder to my 921 to archive some westerns this morning... going thru my recorder and outputing at 480p E* was comparable to my D* at `1080i... go figure...maybe they will open up some bandwidth on D* I hope so...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)