E vs D vs Cable HD resolution

jeffincolo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
I have a question regarding HD resolution. Apparently E has 1440 X 1080 on all the MPEG-4 stations (locals, ect) and 1280 X 1080 on all the VOOM stations. Does anyone know the comparable resolutions broadcast on D and Comcast cable?

Thanks,
Jeff

I have Comcast and all their HD channels are at native resolutions (either 1920x1080 or 1280x720) and it stays at a high bitrate (I checked with my TV). HBO, Showtime, Starz, and Cinemax look very nice, no ghosting at all, as well as the rest of the HD channels. Local HD channels are very close to OTA.. Although I'm not sure how they re-compress it to get local commercials thorugh, It looks like they just have a switch for it. The only problem is that some NBC stations don't like to broadcast a decent HD feed, so you might have a problem, (soft picture, ghosting) with them no matter who you're with. Also I've noticed the local channels have very little delay compared to the 10-30 second delay I've experienced with Satellite. I mean I have no idea why D* and E* re-broadcast and re-compress the OTA feeds for locals, it just creates more picture issues and more delay. Hope this helps :)

all of D* 1080i channels are 1280 x 1080i. The 720p channels are at 1280 x 720p.
The bit rate for D* appears to be a bit lower then E*.

My local Comcast transmits all HD in their native format: 1920x1080i or 1280x720p. In most cases, they send three HD channels per QAM256 (39Mb/3) using a Cherry Picker variable bit encoder. The PQ is excellent and you would be hard pressed to discern any difference between local HD being delivered via cable, and that which is received over-the-air.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)