Eastern Arc Dish Info & Install Guide

The whole idea of Eastern Arc is intriguing, but, honestly, is it something I'm going to need?
The answer to this is no, its not something your going to need, it only gives you what you have now. There is no advantage of moving to EA if what you have now is working for you.

I have a 1000.4 sat dish that I ordered at an online retailer-dishdepot.com- that should ship next Wednesday. It was $99.99 and I will install it once I get the new smart cards. Then I will use my side sat dish for 61.5 and point it to 119. Just in case the All American Direct distants go HD like they say they will by years end. That way I would have more networks in hd for shows that conflict in recording.

The answer to this is no, its not something your going to need, it only gives you what you have now. There is no advantage of moving to EA if what you have now is working for you.

I would like to have it for a backup. I still wish dish would come out with a multi-switch that handles more than four satellites. I would like to have all the birds I could get and have backup to any LNB failures, thunderstorm problems, etc, etc.

So are you saying that people who have been saying that the PQ on EA will be better because it's all MPEG4 will be disappointed?

Not at all. But the resolution on EA is lower then what is being broadcast on Dish Network currently. The resolution on EA is the same resolution DirecTV uses for its SD channels. I havent seen any of the MPEG4 SD stuff yet, so it might look better because it is in MPEG4, but can't make a judgement until I see it for myself.

Not at all. But the resolution on EA is lower then what is being broadcast on Dish Network currently. The resolution on EA is the same resolution DirecTV uses for its SD channels. I havent seen any of the MPEG4 SD stuff yet, so it might look better because it is in MPEG4, but can't make a judgement until I see it for myself.

OK, it's just that I've seen you make the comment like back in post 19,

"If your current setup is working for you then there is no reason for them to spend money on an upgrade thats not going to give you more then you have now."

So then might give you more then you have now, at least in the regards to picture quality.

Picture quality is subjective though. Many folks think the PQ they get now is fine.

For some going from a 540 x 480 resolution SD channel to a 480 x 480 SD channel (which is what DirecTV is running their SD at) would be considered a downgrade. Sure its MPEG4 but we all know people take numbers as gospel, even though the 480 x 480 MPEG4 might look better then 540 x 480 MPEG2 resolution.

Upgrading to Eastern Arc will not give you any addition programming then what your getting now.

Picture quality is subjective though. Many folks think the PQ they get now is fine.

For some going from a 540 x 480 resolution SD channel to a 480 x 480 SD channel (which is what DirecTV is running their SD at) would be considered a downgrade. Sure its MPEG4 but we all know people take numbers as gospel, even though the 480 x 480 MPEG4 might look better then 540 x 480 MPEG2 resolution.

Upgrading to Eastern Arc will not give you any addition programming then what your getting now.

OK, however you keep mentioning SD resolutions, is EA going to allow Dish to go back to full rez on the HD channels or will they continue to downrez the HD?

If you do not have 61.5 now and switch to EA you could get some additional public interest type programs. The only reason I had to get a 61.5 wing dish was to receive The Pentagon Channel (9405). I think Dish should setup the Public interest channels a little better so we don't have to get an additional dish just to receive one channel.

Scott what about our local HD channels? As I understand it once dish gives New Orleans its HD locals they will be on a 61.5 spotbeam, so if that happens, and I really don't want a wing dish, then wouldn't I have to go to EA to get everything I get now (A250) plus my HD locals?

The MPEG 2 ones are 480x5*cough*0. :) Don't know the exact number. :) I think 520?
It's 544 X 480. I know this because some MPEG2 editors refuse to let you edit that non-standard resolution. I think it was some version of Tsunami's MPEG Editor that forced me to something standard, such as DVD (720X480) or SVCD (480X480). The latter shows annoying jaggies on every DVD player I have, even on my fairly crappy 29" Samsung CRT SDTV. 544 X 480 MPEG2, on the other hand, plays and looks fine, just like it does directly out of the receiver.

I cannot imagine how DirectTV viewers can accept such awful PQ, if indeed they have MPEG2 decoders/scalers as bad as mine.

Well I can think of some reasons to upgrade to the 1000.4 sat dish

1. One dish install verses two today, with the 61.5 sat dish.
2. IF you don't want crappy dropouts on your video/ audio with the 129 on a dish 1000.2 sat dish.
3. Being all mpeg 4 will take less space on your internal hard drive giving you much more recording space than regular mpeg 2 will .
4. The picture quality should be much better vs mpeg 2 ,if hd mpeg 2 to hd mpeg 4 is any indication.
5. I want the latest dish and will pay to get it.

If you do not have 61.5 now and switch to EA you could get some additional public interest type programs. The only reason I had to get a 61.5 wing dish was to receive The Pentagon Channel (9405). I think Dish should setup the Public interest channels a little better so we don't have to get an additional dish just to receive one channel.
which channel would you chose to be at 61.5 instead of Pentagon? There has to be a certain number of non duplicated PI channels on each satellite in a service.

My area requires a 1000+ dish for 110, 119, 118.7, and 129. Pentagon channel is only on 61.5 and 148. So I had a 61.5 installed and keep 129 disconnected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)