Eastern Arc in Los Angeles Signal Strength on 72.7 TP 18 Question

navigates

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 10, 2008
Los Angeles
I have the EA Setup in LA and it works well, however yesterday it was slightly cloudy and some channels weren't coming in. I checked the TP and signal level. The TP that wasn't working was TP18 on 72.7. it had a signal of 13-14 which was in yellow.

This morning I checked and it was back to 21-22.
On 61.5 I get about 33-35. Ihave the dish 1000.2 (Black Dish) with three LNB's. I don't get 77 at all which I don't need anyways.

Question is to the EA setup's on the west coast with a similar setup. What are your signal levels specially on TP18 on 72.7? I have purchased the AI Turbo S2 and that has not arrived yet.

The installer had tried to get decent signals for a long time and then said this is the best I could get. The LOS is straight and clear. no obstruction at all.

Your look angle is so low that you are losing signal to the layer of the Earth's atmosphere any water vapor is going to weaken your signal. If you must use the EA try separate larger dishes such as a pair of 24" or larger dishes with an external switch.

The setup earlier for 72.7 was a dish 500 (old one) and the signal there was in the 40's. After changing it to the larger 1000.2, I'm at this level. I'm in an apartment so don't have the liberty to put up so many dishes. I already have two. One for 118.5 and the other EA for 61.5 and 72.7. It comes in just fine with a rare occasion of rain fade. Which is very rare in LA with the clear weather days.,

Once I get the AI turbo S2. I'll try to peak it a little more.

Another question is, I believe I had asked earlier was. Can I swap the dishes I have.
Swap 1000.4 (Larger Dish) with the 1000.2 and switch the LNBs? I believe this wont work.
Besides the 118 is coming in in the early 30's and making it go to a dish any smaller wouldn't give me the signal.

The setup earlier for 72.7 was a dish 500 (old one) and the signal there was in the 40's. After changing it to the larger 1000.2, I'm at this level. I'm in an apartment so don't have the liberty to put up so many dishes. I already have two. One for 118.5 and the other EA for 61.5 and 72.7. It comes in just fine with a rare occasion of rain fade. Which is very rare in LA with the clear weather days.,

Once I get the AI turbo S2. I'll try to peak it a little more.

Another question is, I believe I had asked earlier was. Can I swap the dishes I have.
Swap 1000.4 (Larger Dish) with the 1000.2 and switch the LNBs? I believe this wont work.
Besides the 118 is coming in in the early 30's and making it go to a dish any smaller wouldn't give me the signal.
If you have a dish for 118 I assume it is a DISH 500/1000 PLUS. Why aren't you using it for 110/119/129?

Hi Can someone help me with some questions.

Has dish changed the dish size on the eastern arcs to 1000.4?
Can I use my existing lnb if I Just buy the dish 1000.4 from ebay or do I have to buy the lnb bracket etc as well?
Will the improved size help with my signal issue.?

Hi I purchased the 1000.4 for EA. Lets hope this gets slightly better numbers. I'll sell the 1000.2 EA back on ebay.
hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251007361414&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160

I've purchased the AI Turbo S2 from Sadoun and they never reply or respond to emails. Has anyone else dealt with them?

Does your current LNB look like this: 8306_11.jpg

Or like this:31d50_5Nf5H35M53I43Fd3Jec2m7bd26dc5905113de.jpg

The first one is a 1000.2 WA LNB and should never have been pointed at the EA, it was not designed for that. The second is a 1000.4 EA LNB and is what you should have. If you have this it also means you already have a 1000.4 dish, and you just ordered the same thing you already have.

Does your current LNB look like this: View attachment 74788

Or like this:View attachment 74789

The first one is a 1000.2 WA LNB and should never have been pointed at the EA, it was not designed for that. The second is a 1000.4 EA LNB and is what you should have. If you have this it also means you already have a 1000.4 dish, and you just ordered the same thing you already have.

Interesting find. My lnb does look like View attachment 74789
Now. I believe I have the Dish 1000.2 for Eastern Arc as the 4 screws align in symmetry, where as for 1000.4, the dish is slightly bigger. I have a dish 1000 plus for international and the reflector is larger which I believe is the same as 1000.4.
The Eastern Arc used to have 1000.2 earlier and has been changed to 1000.4 I believe. Someone might confirm or I'll know for sure when I get the shipment.

Can someone confirm please?

That's an EA lnb for a 1000.4 dish. 1000.2 was never for EA.

If you google, there is no difference between the size on the 1000.4 dish size. The lnb's are the only thing that is different. I believe the dish that will come is the 1000.4 which will be slightly larger. The pictures on ebay show the screw placements that are set apart even for the EA. The one I have is in symmetry which is a 1000.2.

Does the back of your dish have this long adjustment screw?
1000dot4.jpg
If so, then you already have a 1000.4 If not, then you have a 1000.2 to which someone has attached a 1000.4 EA LNB, which was never meant to work. I have come across installs like this before, and they always have low signals because the LNB always ends up shifting since it was never designed to work together.

Does the back of your dish have this long adjustment screw?
View attachment 74833
If so, then you already have a 1000.4 If not, then you have a 1000.2 to which someone has attached a 1000.4 EA LNB, which was never meant to work. I have come across installs like this before, and they always have low signals because the LNB always ends up shifting since it was never designed to work together.

Mine does not have the long adjustment screw. It is the 1000.2. This gets me to understand why he could get nothing on 77. But then again I'm in Los Angeles which is not meant for the west coast.
Do users get decent signal with 1000.2 on EA on east coast?

Wonder why the installer went this way.

All things are in order. My AI Turbo S2 has been shipped.
My Dish 1000.4 with EA has been shipped.

Next Steps. I just hope I can use the new meter easily. Hope its not too complicated.
I’ll sell my Dish 1000.2 without the lnb as it’s the EA.
I’ll sell the EA lnb separate.

navigates said:
I have the EA Setup in LA and it works well, however yesterday it was slightly cloudy and some channels weren't coming in. I checked the TP and signal level. The TP that wasn't working was TP18 on 72.7. it had a signal of 13-14 which was in yellow.

This morning I checked and it was back to 21-22.
On 61.5 I get about 33-35. Ihave the dish 1000.2 (Black Dish) with three LNB's. I don't get 77 at all which I don't need anyways.

Question is to the EA setup's on the west coast with a similar setup. What are your signal levels specially on TP18 on 72.7? I have purchased the AI Turbo S2 and that has not arrived yet.

The installer had tried to get decent signals for a long time and then said this is the best I could get. The LOS is straight and clear. no obstruction at all.

The 1k2 EA dish only has 2 eyes on the lnb. The 1k4 EA and WA as well as the 1k2 WA LNBS all have 3 eyes. The 1k2 EA is relatively new but it only sees the 61.5 and 72.7 sats. If it is a 1k2 with 3 eyes, it sounds like the tech rigged a 1k2 WA to pick up EA.

The larger the dish, generally the higher the signal. However, the less sats you're trying to pick up the higher the signal. Also, 77 is not needed. Everything comes off of 61.5 and 72.7 now.

The 1k2 EA dish only has 2 eyes on the lnb. The 1k4 EA and WA as well as the 1k2 WA LNBS all have 3 eyes. The 1k2 EA is relatively new but it only sees the 61.5 and 72.7 sats. If it is a 1k2 with 3 eyes, it sounds like the tech rigged a 1k2 WA to pick up EA.

The larger the dish, generally the higher the signal. However, the less sats you're trying to pick up the higher the signal. Also, 77 is not needed. Everything comes off of 61.5 and 72.7 now.

I didn't know about the new EA lnb. I heard they were going to come out with them. I'll try to peak 61.5 and 72.7 only. Won't try to peak 77 at all as there is no need for it from my location. I'm using the PITTS DMA though and it comes in just fine.

I didn't know about the new EA lnb. I heard they were going to come out with them. I'll try to peak 61.5 and 72.7 only. Won't try to peak 77 at all as there is no need for it from my location. I'm using the PITTS DMA though and it comes in just fine.

Success !! thanks to you all. I finally got my AI Turbo S2 and the dish 1000.4 Eastern Arc in LA. Installed it and the signal levels are much better. On 72.7 I get about 36 on average. On the transponder where it was 15 (tp 18) I now get 30. 77 also comes in just fine. Glad I made the switch to the correct Satellite. Wonder why dish does not install the eastern arc on the west coast when people have difficulty with LOS.

Also Hope dish moves the internationals to 77 to keep a single arc dish. Its annoying to have two dishes in an apartment patio. Space is already limited and you never know when the apartment will make a noise to mount it on a pole etc etc.

Again Thanks all for your help.
PS: The AI TurboS2 is fast. very fast and accurate. Can't go wrong with this meter. Expensive but for a true hobbyist Its my best purchase to date :). I also have an almost new dish 1000.2 dish and an eastern arc lnb. Let me know if someone needs it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts