Easy way to get AC3 audio

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Anole, don't know if it'll help you any but my Yamaha does DTS, the manual says Dolby Digital, Dolby ProLogic & Dolby ProLogic II, and DTS.
That's a Yamaha DTS 5920, think I got it Jan07 frm radio shack.

I'm thinking maybe my DVD player didn't output when the disc had DTS on it.
The fiber optic cable didn't glow. :confused:

Thanks to everyone for their input.
The proper solution to MY problem, is to just drag a dual-core computer into the living room and plug it in.

I'm only trying to avoid the inescapable. - :D

The clearer explanation of the Extigy was invaluable.
I'll have to actually look those up and if I see one cheap, maybe jump on it.
I'd always ignored them in threads like these, thinking they were $75 or so.

But next time I run across the SonicVooms, I'll have to get one to have on the shelf.
If not for me, then for some lame buddy, who wants to watch PBS on FTA ! - :up

Myself, I'm hoping to get an Onkyo 7.1 system in the den late this year (probably for Christmas - yeah, long term plans, eh?)
Recommended one to my brother 2 years ago for his home theater and was just awestruck at the amount of connections the thing has (it has several optical as well as digital coax and HDMI inputs.)
I think his was around $400 all total and based on the quality, I thought it was more than worth it...

My big confusion though is what's the deal with the darn Fortec Mercury SPDIF output and the Extigy? Ie I have Fortec Lifetime and Ultra receivers, and the AC3 works fine through the Extigy, however the Fortec Mercury just does not work with the Extigy. It works fine with the Sonic Voom, however. If I look at the AC3 signal with a scope, comparing the Ultra to the Mercury, I see very little difference, maybe some small level shift, but nothing significant. And the NON-AC3 digital does work fine. There is something weird going on with the Mercury AC3 output. Fortec says that there is no processing and that there should be no difference.

I have the same problem with the CS5000. AC3 does not decode through my surround system, but AC3 decodes fine on the same system from the Quali. It sucks that I may have to get a sonic voom to decode the AC3 into 2 channels, even though my surround system should do AC3.

Non AC3 audio decodes fine from either receiver through optical.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts