Echostar 16 at 61.5W

Yeah, I understand they aren't necessarily labled by that exact city. However, assuming transponder space this is what I'm looking at for the current markets on the 77 location.

I do definitely see what you're getting at about Cincinnati and a couple others. Lexington, KY in particular. Will be interesting.
When the bulk of the 77CONUS markets moved over to 61.5 months ago, I was curious why some of them stayed on 77W. Then when the E16 SatMaps got posted I noticed that those markets that stayed on 77W were not on the list of spots on E16, so I figured the ones still on 77W would stay as CONUS. My perturbation is why those markets, and not the one I want? :(

When the bulk of the 77CONUS markets moved over to 61.5 months ago, I was curious why some of them stayed on 77W. Then when the E16 SatMaps got posted I noticed that those markets that stayed on 77W were not on the list of spots on E16, so I figured the ones still on 77W would stay as CONUS. My perturbation is why those markets, and not the one I want? :(

I'm with you. I have a couple Pittsburg Steelers fans nearby that are going to be upset.

What doesn't make sense is that those 77W CONUS markets were not unknown when E16 was designed. Why weren't spots designed to cover those markets? Did geography work against it? I'm wondering if they are scheduled for a new western arc satellite at some point. Dish is going to have to do something to get all the other local HD up in many markets where they have only the Big Four.

The spots only have numbers in the filings (example : spot 05). I add a geographical name of some city close to the center of the beam to make it easier to find which of the 70+ beams you want to look at in detail. So, the name is somewhat meaningless (except for identification of general geographic area of each beam) and has no correlation to what market is served by the spot. Any city in the beam (typically spot center out to -8 dbw) might or might not get service. Again, the entire nation is essentially covered by EchoStar 16 spots.

The spots only have numbers in the filings (example : spot 05). I add a geographical name of some city close to the center of the beam to make it easier to find which of the 70+ beams you want to look at in detail. So, the name is somewhat meaningless (except for identification of general geographic area of each beam) and has no correlation to what market is served by the spot. Any city in the beam (typically spot center out to -8 dbw) might or might not get service. Again, the entire nation is essentially covered by EchoStar 16 spots.

That answers all the questions then.

Except why some markets weren't moved from 77W to 61.5W in prep for this new sat. Capacity?

Dish is going to sublease 5 of their 24 transponders at 77 back to echostar leaving them with 19. The list shows a bunch of unused transponders there now. Going to be fun (for some) to see what happens in the coming weeks.

Except why some markets weren't moved from 77W to 61.5W in prep for this new sat. Capacity?

61.5 does not currently have enough spots or CONUS available. There are also uplink issues with E12. When E16 arrives it has a lot more spot capacity and uplink capacity.

There have been some requests for more information on the transponders and beams for EchoStar 16. I excerpted the Transponder/Frequency/Beam data from the FCC file and sorted it three ways so one can find answers more rapidly. It shows assignements and reuse of the various transponders. For those transponders showing both Conus and spot beam use, only one or the other can be used at one time to avoid interference.

Attachments

• Echostar 16 Transponder Beam Table.xls
    64 KB · Views: 255
There have been some requests for more information on the transponders and beams for EchoStar 16. I excerpted the Transponder/Frequency/Beam data from the FCC file and sorted it three ways so one can find answers more rapidly. It shows assignements and reuse of the various transponders. For those transponders showing both Conus and spot beam use, only one or the other can be used at one time to avoid interference.

Thanks for the table Nelson. Is there a map anywhere that shows all the spot beams on one image? Similar to what we've had in the past for the other sats. Just curious as it'd be nice to look at them all together.

There are a few empty TPs at 61.5, but I bet Dish is reserving them for switch-over. I'm betting by the end of the month, there are not more than 3 LiLs on CONUS. (NY, Chicago, Denver). Maybe not even those.

Yeah. I'm thinking zero. Other than the NY and LA feeds for All American Direct or whatever its called now. And those don't really count.

Could you provide info as to what is this request for. I though they would start transfer on the 14th???:confused:
Echostar is asking for short term authority to communicate (uplink/downlink) with E16 at the 61.5 location until they can submit the final paperwork (with the data they received from testing) for full time authority.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)