Echostar 16 Launch - November 20 2012

I have a dual arc setup in Los Angeles as well. Eastern Arc for Hd's and one of the Eastern CONUS Locals. I really hope they don't move that to a spot, if they do I'll have to move my address again !! I don't have the LOS for 129 but do get in 118 , 119 and 110. So finally my setup is as 118.5, 72.7, 61.5 and 77 (useless). I don't even think they have activated 77 on my account as I don't get any test channels on that sat.

Thanks for the Tech Report. I've started sorting out the TPs for each spotbeam. Folks in Puerto Rico should be happy because there are 5 TP frequencies for the Puerto Rico spot beam...
I had totally missed this post. Now, this move by DISH just confuses me, because today we are receiving programming from 110/119. I have another dish pointing to 61.5, and we used to get a lot of HD from there, but as you all know, first DISH unauthorized us in PR and now there is no relevant content in the current 61.5 sat for PR, even though the sat has a great signal for PR.
With 5 TP in spotbeam, will this mean that DISH will have a "mixed arc" for PR, or what? Anybody cares to guess about DISH plans? Thanks.

You can kiss conus locals from 61.5w goodby when E16 goes into service.
They can kiss my Dish loyalty goodbye as well, as that is the main thing keeping me a subscriber. Not saying I would switch or cut the cord, but I would at least be willing to consider it.

Customers will be happy. The EchoStar 12 spot beams presently providing coverage from 61.5W are "fat" beams and a transponder can not be used in overlapping beams. EchoStar 16 has many more smaller beams covering the same market area. This will allow them to reuse a transponder more frequently without causing signal interference in adjacent markets. The result is much higher utilization of the available bandwidth and more tv channels for the customers.

Customers will be happy. The EchoStar 12 spot beams presently providing coverage from 61.5W are "fat" beams and a transponder can not be used in overlapping beams. EchoStar 16 has many more smaller beams covering the same market area. This will allow them to reuse a transponder more frequently without causing signal interference in adjacent markets. The result is much higher utilization of the available bandwidth and more tv channels for the customers.
Can you elaborate more on how this works?

Can you elaborate more on how this works?

Draw two circles that overlap on a piece of paper and a third circle separate and apart from the two overlapping circles. Each circle represents the area covered by a spot beam. Any single transponder (up to 16 typically used for spot beams) can only be used for one of the overlapping circles (areas) or you would have signal interference. But, the third separated circle (beam) can reuse the transponders used by either of the two intersecting beams. Typically, the "reuse" is separated by a significant geographical distance to avoid interference. So, where you are limited to something like 8 channels on a Conus transponder covering the continent, a spot transponder may have something like 8x8 channels (assuming it is reused 8 times by separate beams).

What won't make some customers happy (movers) will be the smaller size of the spot beams. However, the spots should actually be aligned more with the target market than the current E12 spots.

I had totally missed this post. Now, this move by DISH just confuses me, because today we are receiving programming from 110/119. I have another dish pointing to 61.5, and we used to get a lot of HD from there, but as you all know, first DISH unauthorized us in PR and now there is no relevant content in the current 61.5 sat for PR, even though the sat has a great signal for PR.
With 5 TP in spotbeam, will this mean that DISH will have a "mixed arc" for PR, or what? Anybody cares to guess about DISH plans? Thanks.
Its a new bird that will be on 61.5 with coverage for us

Draw two circles that overlap on a piece of paper and a third circle separate and apart from the two overlapping circles. Each circle represents the area covered by a spot beam. Any single transponder (up to 16 typically used for spot beams) can only be used for one of the overlapping circles (areas) or you would have signal interference. But, the third separated circle (beam) can reuse the transponders used by either of the two intersecting beams. Typically, the "reuse" is separated by a significant geographical distance to avoid interference. So, where you are limited to something like 8 channels on a Conus transponder covering the continent, a spot transponder may have something like 8x8 channels (assuming it is reused 8 times by separate beams).

Another way explanation I've used is.... take the globe that you have a in a class room. Turn the lights off. Now take a flashlight that has the option to twist the head to change the focus of the beam. Shine the flashlight on the US and focus the beam to highlight the whole US. This is the CONUS beam. Now take another flashlight and shine it on a part of the US and focus the beam down. This is the spotbeam. Now take some colored lenses. Imagine the colors are different transponder numbers. If you put 2 blue spotbeams next to each other you'll notice you can't determine exactly where one ends and the other stops as they overlap. The receiver would get so confused trying to determine which was which. Now if you take a blue one and green one right next to each other then you can tell where each beam stops and starts. You can use another blue on the other side of the green now. This is how the reuse all frequency over and over across the US.

--- for PR users, this sat will comply with the one dish antenna policy? or this sat will be used for special services like selling space for businesses meaning that the sat will not provide any additional programming for regular subs to PR? - what about if they leave the spotbeam for future uses and not for immediate channel additions? ---

or this sat will be used for special services like selling space for businesses meaning that the sat will not provide any additional programming for regular subs to PR? - what about if they leave the spotbeam for future uses and not for immediate channel additions? ---
What businesses located in PR would require such service?

--- for PR users, this sat will comply with the one dish antenna policy? or this sat will be used for special services like selling space for businesses meaning that the sat will not provide any additional programming for regular subs to PR? - what about if they leave the spotbeam for future uses and not for immediate channel additions? ---

We will not know until they start it up. But, if they choose to, they can use the spot beams aimed at Puerto Rico to carry national or local channels just like they do with spot beams for Alaska and Hawaii on the western arc.

Since I took down the wing dish, I hope whatever is added local-wise is duplicated on the western arc. Lots of us in EA markets have 1000/1000.2 dishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts