Echostar 16 Launch - November 20 2012

Anik at nasaspaceflight has updated the launch date and added the launch pad identifier.

Echostar 16 launch date - sept 18. -- pad 81/24.

They have told FCC that one of the satellites ar 61.5w will be moved to a new location when E16 activates. But, they are being coy as to which sarellite and where it will go. Could be to 148w to protect that empty slot. Could be to 72w to back up or prime server from that slot. Or, they could have musical chairs on a number of slots.

They have told FCC that one of the satellites ar 61.5w will be moved to a new location when E16 activates. But, they are being coy as to which sarellite and where it will go. Could be to 148w to protect that empty slot. Could be to 72w to back up or prime server from that slot. Or, they could have musical chairs on a number of slots.

I wonder if it is more coy for their international agreements. They seem to have stalled out in some of their planned international offerings.

There's getting to be a whole lot of satellites at 110W.

I wonder why DIRECTV moved 1R to a slot that they're not using. It seems kinda fishy to park a satellite in a slot substantially owned by a competitor.

There's getting to be a whole lot of satellites at 110W.

I wonder why DIRECTV moved 1R to a slot that they're not using. It seems kinda fishy to park a satellite in a slot substantially owned by a competitor.

I don't see DirecTV giving up the 3 TPs at 110w for a long time. I am sure they would trade those for 3 at 119, but that would only help DirecTV so dish wouldn't do it without some funds. With all that said, signals are alive and well at 110 from DirecTV.

With all that said, signals are alive and well at 110 from DirecTV.
Broadcasting test signals isn't the same thing as using the licensed frequencies in the public interest. Like the RBx placeholder payloads, DIRECTV isn't effectively engaging in much more than a low-level microwaving of those in the beam path.

Broadcasting test signals isn't the same thing as using the licensed frequencies in the public interest. Like the RBx placeholder payloads, DIRECTV isn't effectively engaging in much more than a low-level microwaving of those in the beam path.

Signals are signals. File a complaint with the FCC if you don't like it.

Dish was transmitting test signals from 148 for a long time. It wasn't until they didn't have any signals there that they lost the license.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Heavy cargo airplane watchers should see an Antonov 124 transporting Echostar 16 from the Palo Alto assembly plant to the Baikonur Cosmodrome sometime within the next two weeks ~. NATO has a fleet of them leased for transport in the Afgan conflict.

Attachments

• Antonov 124.jpg
    Antonov 124.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 126
Does anyone know what we'll see different as a result of these satellite launches? New channel capacity?

Does anyone know what we'll see different as a result of these satellite launches? New channel capacity?

Probably all the CONUS locals on 77 will move to the new spot beam satellite.

Of course the interesting question comes up as to what Dish will end up doing with 77.

I though that they were already using 77 sat for Mexican DISH service too. So why wouldn't they keep it and expand that service?

Probably all the CONUS locals on 77 will move to the new spot beam satellite.

Of course the interesting question comes up as to what Dish will end up doing with 77.
Most of the CONUS 77 locals were moved to 61.5 CONUS, but yeah.

Major failure of a Proton/Briz M launch last night (the same launch system Echostar 16 is scheduled to use).

Total loss of the satellites being lifted.

The Briz M 3rd stage failed half way through it's 3rd burn cycle.

This will require a major review with a yet to be detemined delay for all scheduled Proton/Briz M launches.

About the only good thing that can be said (from Echostar's viewpoint), is that Echostar 16 was not the payload.

So, it's going to be a while before the Conus locals disappear from 61.5W or any satellite shuffling occurs in the Dish/Echostar fleet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)