Echostar 16 Launch - November 20 2012

What businesses located in PR would require such service?

--- a thon of businesses, from hotels to convention centers, there are businesses that are paying or are willing to pay to access services directly from satellites - which services? only them and dish will know if there will be any services available - this is just speculation as it's speculation that this satellite will bring any service to PR subscribers - i'm just using my imagination!!! ---

--- for PR users, this sat will comply with the one dish antenna policy? or this sat will be used for special services like selling space for businesses meaning that the sat will not provide any additional programming for regular subs to PR? - what about if they leave the spotbeam for future uses and not for immediate channel additions? ---
Manteca with this satellite PR moves again with a new wing satellite

--- i remember this from the filling documents of echostar 15:

"EchoStar 15 will operate a single large downlink broadcast beam
encompassing the continental United States and Puerto Rico (“CONUS-plus beam”) in the 12.2-
12.7 GHz band and two uplink spot beams in the 17.3-17.8 GHz bands.3 EchoStar 15 will
specifically be located at 61.55° W.L., within the 61.5° W.L. orbital cluster."

"The ECHOSTAR-15 satellite will operate at 61.5°W.L. (specifically at 61.55º W.L., within the
61.5°W.L. ±0.2° orbital cluster and consistent with the ITU Region 2 BSS Plan) and will provide
BSS services
to CONUS and Puerto Rico."

and then, they said that echostar 15 will not provide any service to Puerto Rico, i think that this will be the same for echostar 16 - hope not ---

EchoStar 16 has been placed on public notice (required before license can be issued).
The application includes a request to consolidate their 30 transponders into a contiguous band.

Two (2) additonal transponders at 61.5W are used under a special temporary authority license. Echostar has requested those transponders be swapped for transponders at the edge of the band to improve bandwidth efficiency (in the event the 2 transponders are licensed to another company at some date in the future).

Echostar 16 Public Notice

--- i remember this from the filling documents of echostar 15:

"EchoStar 15 will operate a single large downlink broadcast beam
encompassing the continental United States and Puerto Rico (“CONUS-plus beam”) in the 12.2-
12.7 GHz band and two uplink spot beams in the 17.3-17.8 GHz bands.3 EchoStar 15 will
specifically be located at 61.55° W.L., within the 61.5° W.L. orbital cluster."

"The ECHOSTAR-15 satellite will operate at 61.5°W.L. (specifically at 61.55º W.L., within the
61.5°W.L. ±0.2° orbital cluster and consistent with the ITU Region 2 BSS Plan) and will provide
BSS services
to CONUS and Puerto Rico."

and then, they said that echostar 15 will not provide any service to Puerto Rico, i think that this will be the same for echostar 16 - hope not ---

They Promises the Dealer in PR that it will be available in a meeting here in PR

So with this sat will we have mixed arc setup & be the only area which will support such a setup

Or dish will replicate our western arc setup here to have option of eastern arc installation here also.

As mentioned in another thread....dish is using one of pr spot beam for mpeg2 SD dish Latino channels....which are also uplinked as conus. If dish can take it out from this spot beam we can easily get 5-7 hd channels more in PR

I know right now that there are a lot of markets that are on Spotbeams on WA that are not on Spotbeams on EA. With this launching of a new satellite at 61.5, will there be some markets that are currently only on WA that will be moved over to only EA, freeing up some space on WA? Or is Dish's goal to have as many markets on both arcs as possible?

I know right now that there are a lot of markets that are on Spotbeams on WA that are not on Spotbeams on EA. With this launching of a new satellite at 61.5, will there be some markets that are currently only on WA that will be moved over to only EA, freeing up some space on WA? Or is Dish's goal to have as many markets on both arcs as possible?

Good question but only they know.

The E-14 satellite at 119 W has the capability to use 5 additional TPs for spotbeams. Dish should have the ability to use these spotbeams when they convert the WA to at least all 8PSK and even more so when the WA is converted completely to MPEG-4. It is difficult to judge exactly what Dish does with additional spotbeam capability because their recent spotbeam satellites appear to be designed to backup each other in case of satellite failure.

Also having markets on both east and west arcs helps in case of look angles being blocked by trees, buildings etc. IN my area of Southeast Texas my locals in Beaumont and in Houston are on both arcs. So they are covered if they lose one arc over another, as well as the look angles situations.

Well the good news is that it looks to have almost 3x the spot capacity of E12 (even more in reality since they never fully used E12 because of all the uplinks that would be required).

They will probably be able to upgrade a lot of markets from TX->ND and eastward to HD. It would be nice to see the new spot beam map.

It would be nice if PR also got some HD since they seem to indicate a PR spot beam.

Well the good news is that it looks to have almost 3x the spot capacity of E12 (even more in reality since they never fully used E12 because of all the uplinks that would be required).

They will probably be able to upgrade a lot of markets from TX->ND and eastward to HD. It would be nice to see the new spot beam map.

It would be nice if PR also got some HD since they seem to indicate a PR spot beam.

The E-16 satellite will be a big upgrade in terms spotbeams over the E-12 satellite but about 20% of the 71 spots are either for Denver on west or are for Cuba, Mexico or Bermuda. The spot for Puerto Rico has 5 TPs. I think Dish could have done a better job for those folks. I have to believe the spots for Denver on west have to be there for backup in case of a WA satellite failure.

All the spot beams links and maps can be found on the SatMaps! link at the top of this web page.

I did not notice E16 was posted. They look good. But, the satmaps now suffers with the long satellite list. Perhaps the page could be redone where on spot beam satellites you go to another page with just the spots for that satellite, that way the list would be a lot shorter.

Also would be nice to be able to see a map with all the spot beams at once to get an idea of coverage (or not covered areas). Perhaps with just fixed radius circles from the center of the spot beam.

I did not notice E16 was posted. They look good. But, the satmaps now suffers with the long satellite list. Perhaps the page could be redone where on spot beam satellites you go to another page with just the spots for that satellite, that way the list would be a lot shorter.

Also would be nice to be able to see a map with all the spot beams at once to get an idea of coverage (or not covered areas). Perhaps with just fixed radius circles from the center of the spot beam.
I've experimented with a complete map showing all the beams and all you get is a map showing solid coverage of the US + the outliers (PR, Bermuda, etc.) with lots of overlays obscuring the beam patterns. The Google spread sheet on the Satmaps! page is both sortable and filterable on the various fields which you can use to drill into a small subset of links.

I looked at the SatMaps and didn't see a spotbeam for Tyler/Longview on Echostar 16. I was hoping this would be the satellite that would provide us our actual locals in HD.

Though I do see that the SP15 for Dallas would cover the Tyler market quite well. Maybe that will be the one used for locals in HD?

We are a western arc so this would mean a dish swap out for a lot of folks if that was the case.

I looked at the SatMaps and didn't see a spotbeam for Tyler/Longview on Echostar 16. I was hoping this would be the satellite that would provide us our actual locals in HD.

Though I do see that the SP15 for Dallas would cover the Tyler market quite well. Maybe that will be the one used for locals in HD?

We are a western arc so this would mean a dish swap out for a lot of folks if that was the case.
I added the names to help locate beam geographic areas more rapidly (does not mean that the name is the market served). So, you are correct since any market within a beam area may or may not be served by E16

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts