EchoStar: 6 More HDTV Channels In 2007

I think it's all good. They are all talking about adding HD. It wasn't to long ago that HD was a minor part of their plans if part of it at all. With cable starting to convert their analog channels to digital, Directv and Dish about to launch sats, it looking good for HD.

Maybe, possibly, hopefully by the 2nd half of next year will be making our choice on who has the best PQ instead of who has the most HD.

By the way, if anyone is interested in where the 6 HD channels are going to be, I was looking at:

http://ekb.dbstalk.com/129list.htm

and noticed that there is currently one channel on Transponder 31 (Rave HD, probably the best Voom channel, so a nice choice). This is the strongest transponder on 129, and leaves room for 5 more HD channels without having to do any juggling...

PS That list of channels is filled with a lot of assumptions, and lists some channels that will be replaced by others on the list. For example, Discovery HD Theater will be replaced by Discovery Channel HD, and one would certainly expect that Universal HD would be replaced by USA Network HD and SciFi Channel HD - because there wouldn't be much unique content left for it to show.

The list would be best described as trying to get the biggest number possible without breaking the law, which is quite flexible in these kind of things.... depending on the wording.

Reminds me of "Used Cars".

I really tried to rack my brain thinking of a likely combo of 6 HD channels by the end of the year. I bet we get MTV HD, History Channel HD, Discovery Channel HD, Science Channel HD, TLC HD and 1 of the new Starz HD channels. Just my guess. Wouldn't mind Mojo, but we'll see.

I would seriously write Dish Network a bonus of $20 if one of those 6 was Wrestling Channel HD, although Wrestling Channel is only available in the UK. That....and it's nowhere near going HD yet. Haha.

[grumbling about time limit on editing message...]

It turns out I was wrong and there are two other channels on tr.31.

Actually, there seems to be a significant amount of space on several of the transponders. The most number of HD channels is on tr. 30 - there are 6 HD channels, although 2 (or 3) are 720p.

tr 6 - only 3 HD channels
tr 11 - only 3 HD channels
tr 22 - only 3 HD channels
tr 23 - only 3 HD channels
tr 27 - only 3 HD channels
tr 31 - only 3 HD channels

So, one HD channel could certainly be added to each of those 6 transponders.

I bet we get MTV HD, History Channel HD, Discovery Channel HD, Science Channel HD, TLC HD and 1 of the new Starz HD channels.
Discovery Channel HD is going to replace the current Discovery HD Theater, which will cease operation when Discovery Channel HD starts.

Instead, I'm sure we will get Weather Channel HD, since the channel rep informally stated that Dish will be carrying it soon after launch. Actually, that will probably be one of the better HD channels - because it will actually have new and original HD programming 24/7. In contrast, take National Geographic HD channel, which actually shows a lot of SD programming, plus some of their "HD" programming is interviews in a studio in HD that introduces old footage that is not only SD, it is zoomed to fit the widescreen, so the resolution is actually less than 480. :( So Weather Channel HD should actually be a very good use of HD - especially if it means the extra width allows the gal to avoid standing in front of California ! :)

I would seriously write Dish Network a bonus of $20 if one of those 6 was Wrestling Channel HD, although Wrestling Channel is only available in the UK. That....and it's nowhere near going HD yet. Haha.

I think Scott would go in halfsies with you on that one!

DirecTV quote of 150 HD channel capacity is by using the new generation MPEG4 encoder’s with six HD channel’s per transponder. Dish could play the same game with their 18 to 32 HD CONUS transponders transmitting HD now.

Actually, that will probably be one of the better HD channels - because it will actually have new and original HD programming 24/7.

Careful saying that. They might end up showing repeat weather to increase ratings during those dull periods when the climate is acting nice. Summer 2007 and its hot? NP. Show January winter storm weather reports... hour by hour. That should help people feel a little cooler.

I much preferred the Weather Channel back when they actually did weather, not their half hour Hurricane of the week shows.

[grumbling about time limit on editing message...]

It turns out I was wrong and there are two other channels on tr.31.

Actually, there seems to be a significant amount of space on several of the transponders. The most number of HD channels is on tr. 30 - there are 6 HD channels, although 2 (or 3) are 720p.

But this is only half of the equation. If they put the 6 HD channels on 129, then they also have to put them on 61.5. Is there room out there for them?

And if they put them on transponders that are carrying 3 HD channels in MPEG2, then even if they squeeze in a fourth on MPEG4, there will be noticable PQ degradation on the first three.

But this is only half of the equation. If they put the 6 HD channels on 129, then they also have to put them on 61.5. Is there room out there for them?
When I installed my ViP622 (first Dish HD receiver), I talked to a regular Receiver Authorization Rep and then a Technical Service Rep. Both referred to HD reception as "129 reception" - in more than one instance during the process.

I got the distinct impression that 61.5 is a convenience, but that in the long run, a 61.5 dish will not guarantee that you receive all new HD channels added...

When I installed my ViP622 (first Dish HD receiver), I talked to a regular Receiver Authorization Rep and then a Technical Service Rep. Both referred to HD reception as "129 reception" - in more than one instance during the process.

I got the distinct impression that 61.5 is a convenience, but that in the long run, a 61.5 dish will not guarantee that you receive all new HD channels added...

This would imply that E* would not have 48 state HD coverage.

They may well have given you that impression, but at this point in time, E* cannot add national channels to 129 and not also add them to 61.5.

Because that would mean that the whole of New England, including NYC, Eastern PA, and the Atlantic seaboard down to Baltimore *PLUS* most of Florida, and parts of southern Texas, would not get the channels. That is tens of millions of people, perhaps something like 20%-25% of the US population.

E* has a choice of where to put new HD channels.

They can put them on either 110 or 119.

Or they can put them on both 61.5 and 129.

There is a good chance that 61.5 will eventually go away, perhaps replaced by something at 83 or 92. But I don't think that's going to happen in the next 12-18 months.

Every area shaded in this picture cannot reliably receive a signal from the 129 position. A list of those states is:

Maine
New Hampshire
Vermont
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Delaware
Pennsylvania (most of it)
Maryland (a goodly portion)
Florida (nearly all of it)
Texas (southern tip)
Georgia (small part along the Florida border)

So it is all or parts of 14 states. And it's not a great solution for some of the people around the edges of these areas too - as it is easily obstructed and/or has a low signal.

Attachments

• Dish1000Exclusions.jpg
    Dish1000Exclusions.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
I hope that they wait for 6 good HD channels. I'm glad they haven't wasted the free TPs on WealthHD or MHD. With that whole load of HD channels that are to come into being later this year, I hope dish holds out for the biggies. CNN-HD (expected even if I don't watch their SD), History-HD, Weather Channel-HD, etc...

Ummmm, MHD is a "waste" and Weather Channel HD is a "biggie"?

I mean, I wish everything was in HD, but, really? Different strokes, I guess.

I've seen MHD at a friends house, and it's pretty good. For one thing, it actually had music on it, unlike MTV. I'm sure they'll ruin it eventually, like they do all MTV channels, but I'd like to have it full time before they do.

Just curious, why Weather Channel? What's the benefit of HD? I for one don't understand why we even have Weather Channel on satellite. I used to tune it in for local weather on cable, but now, it literally has no useful information for me. Maybe I would feel different if I lived in a big city or hurricane country. But even then, if I'm tuning in to see if I'm going to be hit by a hurricane, why do I care if it's in HD?

Like I said, different strokes, no offence, and all that...but can you explain it to me?

Yeah, well, then...it's a bit more than unlikely, isn't it.

Haha

(Ahhh...now I remember why I quit reading this board)