EchoStar: 6 More HDTV Channels In 2007

It was stated that they will carry 100 national HD channels. Currently D* has well over 100 if you count locals, RSN's and there national HD offerings.
The exact wording:
DIRECTV, the nation's leading satellite television service provider, is hailing 2007 as the "Year of HD" with the planned launch and carriage of 100 national high-definition (HD) channels.

Note "planned"...

You sound like your now claiming 6 channels are for sure being added.
All of this depends on the channels actually becoming available. The head of Weather Channel stated that converting to HD was difficult to do.

All of this depends on the channels actually becoming available. The head of Weather Channel stated that converting to HD was difficult to do.

I don't think it is a lie. I look at my locals that drop back into SD mode every time they need to run a streamer or weather alert. Obviously, this is major hassle since I don't think anybody is handling it yet. I would guess that it requires two different mixers, and nobody is manufacturing a unit that would stream to both feeds yet.

I don't think it is a lie. I look at my locals that drop back into SD mode every time they need to run a streamer or weather alert. Obviously, this is major hassle since I don't think anybody is handling it yet. I would guess that it requires two different mixers, and nobody is manufacturing a unit that would stream to both feeds yet.

Well finally here in Tulsa they don't have to switch to SD to insert weather maps or warnings. So the technology is out there. HD is now HD, Even the weather radars in the bottom corner is more clearer. :up

SOME of the Voom channels can go. I have fallen in love with Monsters HD. I have had the Dish less than a month and still have cable. I'll probably keep both. I got Dish for the HD channels and of course was required to get the minimum package full of channels I already have. But I love Monsters HD! From what I have seen so far some of the channels sure are a waste.

On the other hand, my wife isn't so happy with Monsters HD. "If you are going to watch that crap, I am going in the bedroom to watch TV (or play Mario on Wii).

I hope that they wait for 6 good HD channels. I'm glad they haven't wasted the free TPs on WealthHD or MHD. With that whole load of HD channels that are to come into being later this year, I hope dish holds out for the biggies. CNN-HD (expected even if I don't watch their SD), History-HD, Weather Channel-HD, etc...

I would sure like to see Dish ditch the Voom channels if space becomes an issue. I would rather have 15 mainstream HD channels if the space become tight.

What the heck does "on lime" mean? I think you mean online.

Last time I checked, Sci-Fi had commercials. I NEVER watch cut up commercial television movies. I will watch original shows on a DVR, but no way will I watch commercial cable movies. Monster will probably turn out to be the reason I either keep, or ditch, Dish. The last time I watched Sci-Fi was when they aired "Scare Tactics" with Shannen Doherty. And I love sci-fi and horror. To heck with commercial cut movies.

adding six channels in 2007 AMY put us well behind the D* forecasts. of course that assumes that they will be the ONLY six provided by DISH and that D* can deliver enough channels to surpass DISH.

As for VOOM I think that when thsre are more cahnnels VOOM as we know it is toast. there is not enough original programming on VOOM. It is fine now since so little HD is out there. But if TW and Disney have HD channels who will watch Animania? With channels like Chiller are provided and if Sci Fi goes HD i think that the market for Monsters will dry up.

The other channels coming on lime may take years but when it does VOOM will either have to change or die.

Why don't they just dump A&E HD and add 7 NEW HD channels!

Because there arent that many new ones yet? Only 3 or 4 come to mind... minus paytv and adult channels. But then.... dropping A&E for those 3 or 4 might be a good deal too :D

There should be laws against calling non-HD content HD. Just because you pour regular beer in a light beer bottle, that doesn't make it light beer. Stretch-o-vision is merely putting lipstick on a pig...its still a pig.
Yep, if you're going to broadcast anything, HD or SD, it should be in the original aspect ratio.

Comcast will deliver 800 HD channels by 2008.
QUOTE]

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Comcrap, LOL. Comcast is terible about makeing promises and then finding excuses to get out of em. Of all the providers I've used, DTV Voom Comcast & Dish, I found Comcasts service to be the worst of the bunch. What good will 800 channels do if the quality and service isnt worth it.

Also, just out of curiosity, how can they say gonna carry 800 HD's when they dont even have that many SD channels now and they have a hard time adding anything new due to bandwidth limitations.

I dont think anyone will deliver on their promises at all. upconverting sd to hd is like the old saying of no matter how much you dress up a pig its still a pig. What bugs me the most is that the providers are wasting money and time on putting sports yet theres no new hd content out there aside from live broad casts and what the national locals are providing wich has to make you wonder where hd is really going to go in the next 5 years.

If all the new hd content or the vast majority of it is going to be local stations and RSN's then thats just crap, if a significant portion is going to be upconverted sd content then again your looking at crap or what you could call hdlite really. It almost seems like everyone that has bought an hd set has been taken in a rather big scam specialy if most of the non rsn hd is upconverted sd.

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to Comcrap, LOL. Comcast is terible about makeing promises and then finding excuses to get out of em. Of all the providers I've used, DTV Voom Comcast & Dish, I found Comcasts service to be the worst of the bunch. What good will 800 channels do if the quality and service isnt worth it.

Also, just out of curiosity, how can they say gonna carry 800 HD's when they dont even have that many SD channels now and they have a hard time adding anything new due to bandwidth limitations.

Figure in local broadcast stations and rsns then you can get a good number of the hd right there.

Of all the cable companies I have had comcast was the best inregards to always working, charter however is the worst.

I agree, Comcast is great in the two citires I have lived. I really only have Sat over them for price and the dvr sucks.

Comcast is moving Analog channels to Digital and implementing SDV. I think 800 HD channels is a stretch, but I bet this time next year Comcast, E* and D* are all going to have awesome HD selections. Id also by then theyll have a lot of capacity waiting on networks to go HD.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=906434#post906434

The HD war PR is going forward. Who will deliver on their promise? Consumers will win this war as Cable vs Satellite companies push the envelop in the HD arena.

It doesn't say 800 HD "channels." It says "offerings." That includes HD on demand programs. So they may have 20 HD channels and 780 HD on demand programs, which probably would be hard to do.

Story

I think E* is being realistic here. There are probably going to be close to 6 HD channels avaliable.
I still hear/read D* 100 channel promise as a challenge to get more broadcasters to create HD streams. I don't think they expect that more than 10 channels will be avaliable by years end and they figure by making such a crazy statement they look good because if they had provided the channels we could've launched them. When in reality TurdBird doesn't have the capacity to keep up with that w/o overcompressing everything to crap.

For once I am happy Charlie has the Ace up his sleeve; launching two new birds to re-create E* as an All MPEG4 system is a smart move!

Here is the list. so much for your ASSumption.

A&E (Sept.)
Altitude (RSN; Dish launching in HD this fall)
Animal Planet (Sept.)
Big Ten Network *
Bravo *
Cartoon Network *
Chiller
CNBC
CNN *
Comcast SportsNet Chicago HD
Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic HD
Discovery Channel (Sept.)
Discovery HD Theater (channel 76)
ESPN HD (channel 73)
ESPN2 HD (channel 72)
Food Network *
FSN Arizona
FSN Bay Area
FSN Detroit
FSN Florida
FSN New England
FSN North
FSN Northwest
FSN Ohio
FSN Prime Ticket
FSN Rocky Mountain
FSN South
FSN Southwest
FSN West
FX *
HBO HD (channel 70)
HDNet (channel 79)
HDNet Movies (channel 78)
HGTV *
MTV *
NGC HD (channel 98 - sneak peek only)
New England Sports Network HD (channel 623)
NFL Network *
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 1
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 2
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 3
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 4
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 5
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 6
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 7
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 8
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 9
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 10
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 11
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 12
NFL Sunday Ticket – game 13
Pay-Per-View HD (channel 99)
SCI FI Channel *
Showtime HD (channel 71)
Showtime West *
Speed *
SportsNet New York HD (channel 625)
SportsSouth (RSN; now in HD on Dish)
Starz East coast feed (Sept.)
Starz West coast feed (Sept.)
Starz Comedy (Sept.)
Starz Edge (Sept.)
Starz Kids & Family (Sept.)
Sun Sports (RSN now in HD on Dish)
TBS *
The 101 (part-time HD)
The History Channel (Sept.)
The Movie Channel *
The Science Channel (Sept.)
The Tennis Channel *
The Weather Channel (Sept.) *
TLC (Sept.)
TNT HD (channel 75)
Universal HD (channel 74)
USA Network *
Versus *
YES HD (channel 622)
+ 2 TBA Discovery-owned networks

HD channels launching in 2008:

ABC Family
Disney Channel
ESPNEWS HD
Toon Disney

Here is the list. so much for your ASSumption.

It is a big if on most of those channels you stated. Most of them do not even have their HD feeds up and operational yet. I also like how you show 13 Sunday ticket channels that only broadcast for a 4 hour period for 17 weeks out of the year. When was FSN Ohio added to the list. They are not being broadcast now are they. I have not seen any information that they are currently or being planned on having a HD channel on D*.

Now on the positive note. I hope D* does get off their ass and launch all of these stations. This will make E* do something more. I feel that E* is currently on cruise control and needs a kick in the ass to get things moving again.

You could also add Sports Time Ohio to as a station that D* currently has in HD. When I was a D* sub it made me mad that I could not get it because it was only on the Cleveland spot beam. STO is one of my RSN's and I was not able to receive the HD feed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts