EchoStar: 6 More HDTV Channels In 2007

I'm currently very happy with E*'s HD offering(better than the crap D* has and Comcast here has less). I am also very happy they will add 6 more, hopefully they are actually quality channels not just stretchovision soon-to-be HD channels. D*'s claim is just that, a claim. They may have 100 nationals by end of 2008, but so will E*.

I am extremely happy with the HD content Dish has to offer, even if it is upconverted. The picture quality even when upconverted is far better than the SD that comes on. I don't watch Voom that much, but when I do it is new to me so I don't see alot of repeats. Right now I also have a Direct sat only for the MLBEI and nothing more. I would only switch totally to D* if they come through with all of their promises and the products they offer, ie-recievers, are without bugs. MY 622 has given me no problems in the year I have had it. I understand there a few problems with the DVR Direct offers. It will be at least a year before I would even think about switching, this will give time for all of the bugs to be worked out. In the meantime I will watch D* during the baseball season and then put it to bed during the off season.

Yeah, but I have a hard time counting any channel that calls itself "Regional" (as in Regional Sports Network) as a national channel.

I dont have it, but the RSN package includes all of them right? That can be considered national.... for those willing to pay extra for it.

As for Larry King in HD. Im sure he (and/or his guests) would insist the show be shot with a filter to soften things up...... I hope. Ugh!

Over 30 additional HD Channels?

Since at present there does not seem to be that many new available HD broadcasters out there, and with talk of possibly up converting existing SD channels into HD; Do you think that D*’s claim of 100 additional HD stations would include a special arrangement to up convert all the premium movie channels to HD?

That will be up converting all the HBO, Starz, Showtime and Cinimax. “Over 30” to HD!

The present HD premium movie channels are just simulcast with their SD, nothing unique just HD. Cheap way to go without adding any new content, but still claim additional HD channels.

If it is possible for D*, then E* can pull it off also when the two new satellites are up and running.

Just a wild guess, I think that down the line it would eventually go that route anyway.

As for VOOM I think that when thsre are more cahnnels VOOM as we know it is toast. there is not enough original programming on VOOM. It is fine now since so little HD is out there. But if TW and Disney have HD channels who will watch Animania? With channels like Chiller are provided and if Sci Fi goes HD i think that the market for Monsters will dry up.

The other channels coming on lime may take years but when it does VOOM will either have to change or die.
If that were true 80-90% of the cable channels would have disappeared since they are complete garbage that very few watch. It's all about the "We offer more crap channels than the competitor" mentality. Unfortunately, only mandated al a carte and structured programming paks will help get rid of the hundreds of useless (my opinion mind you) channels polluting the airwaves (i.e. I don't want my subscription dollars subsidizing some goofy Sci-Fi channel I don't watch only to be forced into subscribing to higher tier package just to receive Bloomberg TV and one or two other channels). The bottom line is that our dollars will go most likely continue to subsidize the same garbage channels in HD that we currently don't watch in SD. A larger concern is there will be even more bad programming fodder wasting value bandwidth and further diluting our HD experience. As much as I like VOOM, it should be add-on subsciption charge...just like all the other channels.

I am extremely happy with the HD content Dish has to offer, even if it is upconverted. The picture quality even when upconverted is far better than the SD that comes on.
Unfortunately, you are being swindled; you are paying for HD, not HD-Lite, and are being duped into paying for something you [hopefully] did not order. On the rare occasion that I order a fast-food hamburger, I want it fresh off the grill and I expect it to look like the delicious entree depicted on their sign, and taste just as good to me as to the person enjoying it in their commercials. Sorry, but if I get a cold, flattened, grotesquely formed burger then it's going back. Sadly, DishHD is quickly becoming the fast-food of HD and is rapidly becoming unpalatable. Most people who appreciate HD (the real stuff...not the washed-out artifact-filled substitute) and can switch to FiOS TV will do so when available. I know that I will. However, there are just too few quality programming choices and, unfortunately, the crap being served up on DishHD these days is slightly more palatable and affordable then what is being offered up by competition.

DishHD motto - "We delivery more crap, and cheaper crap too!"

www.stophdlite.com

I live in the Portland Maine area and was considering going to Direct because they carry locals in HD and today without any notice from dish i am receiving HD locals i would assume because they are in the 7000 numbers. Any one else on my area notice the added channels.

For some reason, Charlie's remarks at Team Summit were not correctly reported. He said that - the two new satellites launched by the end of the year - would have capacity for 200 National HD Channels.

The official remarks to investors are closely regulated by the SEC, and so the "six HD channels" probably refers to channels which he knows will actually be running by the end of the year, and for which E* has agreements with the channels.

At team summit, supposedly Weather Channel and History Channel informally said they would likely be amongst those.

kstuart, you are partly right in regards to your regulation by the SEC. Actually those rules apply to any comments made by a public company that are heard by any current or potential shareholders (the people at TeamSummit fall into this category). If information was released to these people that wasn't previously public information the company would be required to make this information to the public via form 8-K and file it with the SEC.

They're not getting my HD money until they add NESN-HD. My 2 no fee 7100's (upgraded to 120GB - which actually work quite nicely these days) are the only thing keeping me from switching everything to Comcast. I already have Comcast for basic (mostly locals).

It's not looking like that will happen anytime soon.

It's not looking like that will happen anytime soon.
Not until next year.

The problem is NESN HD is 24/7 HD, while the RSN's Dish has now only airs the games (and pre and post game reports) in HD. This limited HD schedule of the other channels lets them show games but keeps the bandwidth free for other games.

Dish wanted to carry only the Sox games in HD but NESN wanted them to carry the channel 24/7. Dish does not have the bandwidth to carry this channel nationally yet it would only be see by those in a limited area.

If NESN would allow Dish to carry just the SOX games for now, I am sure we would see them on Dish ASAP.

Scott, I know that's E*'s party line, but I think bandwidth is only part of the issue. I'm sure they could find the room for it if they really wanted to. I'm guessing NESN wants some cash for the HD feed too.

I probably should do the "Triple Play" for a year and see what happens next year. I bet we'll still be asking for NESN-HD 12 months from now. ;)

They do have space for it, but here is the issue.

If they put it up it would go on a national beam. And while the signal goes out to the entire US, only people in select areas of, MA, RI, NH, CT and ME will be able to see it.

Dish is holding the national space for new national channels.

Again if NESN would let Dish just air the red sox games in HD we would see them on DISH ASAP, but NESN wants the channel to be 24/7.

That is what is really going on.

Not until next year.

The problem is NESN HD is 24/7 HD, while the RSN's Dish has now only airs the games (and pre and post game reports) in HD. This limited HD schedule of the other channels lets them show games but keeps the bandwidth free for other games.

Dish wanted to carry only the Sox games in HD but NESN wanted them to carry the channel 24/7. Dish does not have the bandwidth to carry this channel nationally yet it would only be see by those in a limited area.

If NESN would allow Dish to carry just the SOX games for now, I am sure we would see them on Dish ASAP.

I can understand NESN being a 24/7 HD channel but using that same analogy then, why isn't FSN North HD available ?? It is NOT a 24/7 HD station. It is airing approx. 40 Twins games in HD this year. So it sounds like FSN North has TOO MANY games in HD for bandwith purposes for E* even though D* and cable carry FSN North HD ??? So E* lights up the HD RSN's that have the fewest HD games ??

I take it the geographic area of the NESN DMA is too large for a spot? Charlie doesn't want to end up like DTV and only offer NESN-HD in the greater Boston area, so instead he makes it available to nobody?

I'm currently very happy with E*'s HD offering(better than the crap D* has and Comcast here has less). I am also very happy they will add 6 more, hopefully they are actually quality channels not just stretchovision soon-to-be HD channels. D*'s claim is just that, a claim. They may have 100 nationals by end of 2008, but so will E*.

Read again he said "might add". You sound like your now claiming 6 channels are for sure being added.

I may have missed it but does D actually specify 100 "national" HD channels or just 100 HD channels? If it's only 100 HD channels, E already has them beat. They currently carry over 150 HD channels (Nationals, RSNs, locals, PPV, premiums).

I may have missed it but does D actually specify 100 "national" HD channels or just 100 HD channels? If it's only 100 HD channels, E already has them beat. They currently carry over 150 HD channels (Nationals, RSNs, locals, PPV, premiums).

It was stated that they will carry 100 national HD channels. Currently D* has well over 100 if you count locals, RSN's and there national HD offerings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)