EchoStar Unveils World’s First SlingLoaded HD DVR for Cable

Not sure on the Korean font thing, it opens fine here.

But an update from the cable show... the DVR was shown off today and was running MOXI software on the box.

I hear the MOXI software is really cool.

Attachments

• satguyspdf.jpg
    satguyspdf.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 171
Not sure on the Korean font thing, it opens fine here.

But an update from the cable show... the DVR was shown off today and was running MOXI software on the box.

I hear the MOXI software is really cool.
Holy Crap! This could be one hell of a box if Cable MSOs bought them as a package deal. Of course, I see that Motorola announced their "tru2way" multiroom DVR (probably with a whopping 160GB hard-drive) so we're probably in for more of the games ole Motorola/SA Cable Cartel garbage.

If anyone from SatelliteGuys covering Cable Show 2009?

For those of you having trouble with the PDF file please try this one. :)

Attachments

• Feature_Sheet_T2200S-cableshow-1.pdf
    825.1 KB · Views: 285
Some ppl fluent in Korean ? ;) Or trust no one including parents ? :(

For those who understand Postscript language, here is snippet from the PDF file:
579 0 obj
<</Ordering(Korea1)/Registry(Adobe)/Supplement 1>>
endobj

Attachments

• korean.JPG
    korean.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 114
Oh, second (ORIGINAL) version of the PDF is OK - with a picture and highlights. Now I see someone try to alter it (perhaps Korean guy ;)).
BTW, I'm using Acrobat 9 on this PC.
So, Scott did you use for your watermark Korean font AppleGate ? :D

Attachments

• korean2.JPG
    korean2.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 117
If Dish Network wants to make their DVR technology available to the cable companies, thats fine with me because the DVR is pretty much a pay television industry standard these days anyways. People don't care who writes the DVR software as long as they have a DVR in their home.

But this here is a stab in the back for everyone who sells DISH Network. DISH Network is susposed to have technology available that the competition does not have so we have the edge in the industry to attract more customers.
You've got to remember that this box will not feature any form of Dish Network DVR software. Dish Network has no [announced] plans to offer any version of their software for this box. It has OCAP middleware to run the cable company's software. That's it.

Anyone can build a piece of STB/DVR hardware using off-the-shelf components from the likes of Broadcom. Not everyone can design and build a STB/DVR and be competitive, price-wise, with Motorola and Cisco. But Dish Network has the benefit of the ViP722 and ViP922 to help keep component costs low.

Making the software work, and work reliably, in a way that customers like isn't so easy. Just ask anyone who uses a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cable DVR how they like their software. Most of the complaints about those boxes (beyond capacity) have everything to do with the software.

For a customer with say, Time Warner Cable, there would be no difference between the EchoStar T2200S and the Scientific Atlanta box, besides the extra capacity and built-in Slingbox. Both run the exact same OCAP software with the same EPG and recording features.

You've got to remember that this box will not feature any form of Dish Network DVR software. Dish Network has no [announced] plans to offer any version of their software for this box. It has OCAP middleware to run the cable company's software. That's it.

Anyone can build a piece of STB/DVR hardware using off-the-shelf components from the likes of Broadcom. Not everyone can design and build a STB/DVR and be competitive, price-wise, with Motorola and Cisco. But Dish Network has the benefit of the ViP722 and ViP922 to help keep component costs low.

Making the software work, and work reliably, in a way that customers like isn't so easy. Just ask anyone who uses a Motorola or Scientific Atlanta cable DVR how they like their software. Most of the complaints about those boxes (beyond capacity) have everything to do with the software.

For a customer with say, Time Warner Cable, there would be no difference between the EchoStar T2200S and the Scientific Atlanta box, besides the extra capacity and built-in Slingbox. Both run the exact same OCAP software with the same EPG and recording features.
First, I certainly understand where Claude is coming from...it sure feels like a slap-in-the-back-of-the-head if you're a Dish Network retailer. Of course, if Dish Network would have kept up their value and quality standards my 622s would't be sitting in the closet and I woudln't be watching FiOS TV using a TivoHD.

You made some excellent points and I centainly don't disagree. However, I would like to add that while there was no "announced" software support from EchoStar, I am sure EchoStar will bend over backwards to work with the Cable MSOs if they can strike a deal.

Additionally, Scott pointed out in a post that EchoStar was demo'ing their T2200S using the award-winning Moxi interface. To me, the T2200S and Moxi sounds like an excellent combination. It certainliy sounds like EchoStar and Digeo are working together on some level.

Moreover, Multichannel News reported that CableLabs will be releasing source-code for the tru2way reference implementation to help manufacturers and application developers. Given the available tools and multiple vendors jumping on the tru2way bandwagon, I get the feeling Cable will be fielding some really terrific DVR software/apps last this year. Of course, my fear is that Cable will offer a basic DVR platform and charge additional for each feature/applet/widget/service/etc.

- Source-code reference of tru2way implementation
- Free open source and commercial licensing
- Sun Microsystems to host "open source community" on OpenCable Project website
- Tru2way specifications based on Sun's phoneME Java stack
- Implementation will be available for use on a PC

Cable Show 2009: CableLabs To Provide Tru2way Reference Implementation - 2009-04-02 18:04:59 | Multichannel News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts