Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
EchoStar Unveils World’s First SlingLoaded HD DVR for Cable

EchoStar Technologies Creates tru2way™-based Set-top Box to Support Cable Customers Seeking Entertainment Anytime, Anywhere

Englewood, Colo., March 30, 2009 - EchoStar Technologies L.L.C. and Sling Media, Inc., wholly owned subsidiaries of EchoStar Corporation (NASDAQ: SATS), today unveiled the EchoStar T2200S, the world’s first SlingLoaded™, tru2way™-based, multi-tuner, HD DVR set-top box designed specifically for the cable TV industry. The announcement was made in advance of this week’s National Cable and Telecommunications Cable Show ’09 in Washington, D.C. EchoStar will demonstrate the T2200S at booth 917 in the Washington Convention Center April 1-3.

The T2200S integrates Sling Media Inc.’s award-winning placeshifting technology, empowering cable TV subscribers to realize their dream of watching their home TV, including live TV, DVR and VOD content, on almost any Internet-connected device, such as the PC, Mac, mobile media players or mobile phones. The SlingLoaded capabilities also enable remote video diagnostics which lets subscribers opt-in to receive remote troubleshooting from an MSO’s tech support. This is just one of many SlingLoaded features enabled by the T2200S that can help reduce the operator’s call volume and truck rolls. EchoStar can also offer MSOs the power of SlingGuide™, giving customers a powerful online search engine for their TV, the ability to schedule online timers and to manage their DVR away from home.

The T2200S features a massive 1 terabyte hard drive for up to 1,000 hours of storage and supports external storage via USB or an optional eSATA port. As a tru2way-based device, the T2200S is proven to integrate with multiple OCAP electronic program guides and will be fully functional for tru2way-enabled cable systems, including M-Card support, embedded cable modem, DOCSIS Set-Top Gateway for two way communication, and OCAP middleware.

“EchoStar and Sling engineers have created one of the most powerful set-top box devices ever made for the cable industry, with the ability to watch content anywhere in the home or anyplace in the world,” said Mark Jackson, president of EchoStar Technologies L.L.C.

The SlingLoaded T2200S also provides the following features:

Supports MPEG-2, H.264 (MPEG-4) and VC1.
1GHz tuners to support expanded network bandwidth.
Connect to the home network via Ethernet, WiFi (with optional WiFi adapter) or Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA™).
Picture-in-Picture
Supports advanced resolution formats up to 1080p24.
Individual branding opportunities for MSOs.
Supports Macrovision and DCS analog copy protection.
Features an attractive, capacitive-touch, backlit front panel with clock display.

The T2200S will be available for testing in MSO labs in June 2009, with volume production rolling out in Q4 2009. Consumers interested in this product should contact their local cable company.

MSOs seeking more information should visit www.echostar.com or email cable-sales@echostar.com.

Attachments

• T2200S_ BEZEL_high_res.JPG
    T2200S_ BEZEL_high_res.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 893
I would love to have the clock on the front like that. :)

Yeah, but it says 28:23. I'm not sure what kind of futuristic, time-telling measurement unit they're using here. I don't need a lock that tells time in some other format! :)

You know, it's funny, I've always thought the lack of a clock on the DVRs was weird. At the same time, the last thing I need is another digital display that's a minute or two removed from everything else.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

Assuming it's going to be obtainable from cable companies (not consumer purchased like Tivo?).

If so, I doubt most of us will ever see one. First, it's got to be competitively priced to appeal to the companies over the Scientific Atlanta and Motorola junk that's already out there.

Although even if the software is about the same as that on the Dish boxes, it's a step up from the Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes.

At the same time, the last thing I need is another digital display that's a minute or two removed from everything else.
For what it's worth, the clock on your cable box or satellite box are likely very accurate, i.e. sync'd frequently to a time server, for obvious reasons.

If so, I doubt most of us will ever see one.
I just don't see MSOs 1) adding another brand of boxes to their inventory (support reasons alone is justification enough not too) and 2) buying from a competitor, no matter how Echostar portrays themselves.

This is huge! And people didn't think the cable verision of the 922 (aka 922C) would be available until years end. I just hope E* can strike a deal or two with a major cable MSO...but it's not going to be easy to break the Cable Cartel (Comcast, Time-Warner, Cox, Motorola, SA, etc.). I would still like to see E*/Verizon reach a deal for a non-OCAP version for use with FiOS TV, along with a direct-to-consumer model too.

OK, so what does "multi-tuner" mean? I hope this means more than two (2) QAM tuners. Also, is there any possibility this will come with an ATSC tuner? I doubt it, but who knows. To be honest, I still think it will be another year before we see this STB being fielded. We shall see.

Does anyone have a "spec sheet" for the T2200S? Will anyone be attending the 2009 Cable Show this week?

Yeah, but it says 28:23. I'm not sure what kind of futuristic, time-telling measurement unit they're using here. I don't need a lock that tells time in some other format! :)

You know, it's funny, I've always thought the lack of a clock on the DVRs was weird. At the same time, the last thing I need is another digital display that's a minute or two removed from everything else.

Does anybody really know what time it is?

28:23 is is how much time you have left before they raise your rate again :rolleyes:

This would be neat if Time Warner locally here started using these boxes. The Moto ones they use now kinda suck.

The question is do cable companies want to do business with a company they consider their enemy?
Probably not...that's why EchoStar needs to market this under the "Sling" brand. Offhand, E* will have to make this bargain priced (initially) if they hope to break into the Cable market. While I would love to see this product offered for direct-to-consumer sales, if Tivo is any indication there is little or no money to be made in this market segment.

Hey, when is the SatelliteGuys staff going to post the specs on this bad boy (another SatelliteGuys exclusive)?

Could Directv maybe buy and sell these receivers??
It's certainly possible that a model could be made just for D*, but the odds of D* fielding an EchoStar brand STB is even more remote than the Cable Cartel buying these boxes. To be honest, EchoStar should team-up with Tivo on this one...this could be the new Tivo Series 4 STB.

It's certainly possible that a model could be made just for D*, but the odds of D* fielding an EchoStar brand STB is even more remote than the Cable Cartel buying these boxes. To be honest, EchoStar should team-up with Tivo on this one...this could be the new Tivo Series 4 STB.

Nah, they burnt that bridge a few times now, and I think I saw Charlier pouring gas on the remains the other day.

Oh, now that's a fine idea. So we can have a great E* DVR dumbed down with a schizophrenic, illogical layout, sluggish operation and the all important circus noises. :rolleyes: Yipee. I can hardly wait.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)