Edison OS MIO 4k Stuck on 'boot'

Fizbi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Wild and Windy Casper, WY
I don't see this particular problem after searching this forum so this could be new, maybe not.

My box display is stuck on 'boot'.
I tried cycling the power several times.
My big screen TV shows a blank screen, no flashing logos, lights, nothing.
Played with the remote while cycling power, just no progress.

So I don't know what else to try.

Any suggestions from those who know more than me?
Thanks in advance.

Harry

This seems to be a common problem and should be put in a FAQ. Maybe this thread will help.

This seems to be a common problem and should be put in a FAQ. Maybe this thread will help.

Thanks, I already read the thread. It does not help me solve my problem.

Thanks, I already read the thread. It does not help me solve my problem.
Fizbi: You DO have another good image loaded in another slot, correct?

If so, pull the power cord from the back of the receiver. Stand right in front of the receiver, with the remote pointed at it. Plug the power cord back in. Rapidly keep hitting the MENU button on the remote. There's a timing component to it. When successful, it'll bring up a boot menu of any other images you have loaded in any other slot. If so, arrow to choose one, and hit OK.

IF not, then you have to load and image on a usb drive, put it in the receivers usb port, power cycle it, and reload from scratch.

Fizbi: You DO have another good image loaded in another slot, correct?

If so, pull the power cord from the back of the receiver. Stand right in front of the receiver, with the remote pointed at it. Plug the power cord back in. Rapidly keep hitting the MENU button on the remote. There's a timing component to it. When successful, it'll bring up a boot menu of any other images you have loaded in any other slot. If so, arrow to choose one, and hit OK.

IF not, then you have to load and image on a usb drive, put it in the receivers usb port, power cycle it, and reload from scratch.

I haven't tried that yet. I do have a backup image but it is in a folder on the USB drive. Should it be in the root or will the box go hunting all the folders? Thanks.

I haven't tried that yet. I do have a backup image but it is in a folder on the USB drive. Should it be in the root or will the box go hunting all the folders? Thanks.
The image should be in the osmio4k directory.

Trying on another Video monitor.
Still no luck. I can't help but wonder if I'm missing a step.
I went back and reread other threads.
I have a txt file named 'force.txt' on the USB thumb drive.

Holding down the menu button as I power on. Tried dozens of times without success.
The monitor is receiving a signal cause it reports resolution mismatch, but still no splash screens or any other indication of getting out of the boot loop.

Is there something else I can try with the USB stick?

Trying on another Video monitor.
Still no luck. I can't help but wonder if I'm missing a step.
I went back and reread other threads.
I have a txt file named 'force.txt' on the USB thumb drive.

Holding down the menu button as I power on. Tried dozens of times without success.
The monitor is receiving a signal cause it reports resolution mismatch, but still no splash screens or any other indication of getting out of the boot loop.

Is there something else I can try with the USB stick?
With a thumb drive installed with the firmware in the osmio4k directory, you should be able to boot without pressing the menu button. It's been a while since I've done this so I'm trying to help from memory.

You can ONLY break out of the boot IF you have a good image in another slot. Do you?

If not, install an unzipped TNAP 3.2 USB version image on the top level of a thumb drive and change the text file "noforce" to "force".

With the DC power plug unplugged, insert the USB in either USB port. Restore the power and TNAP 3.2 will be installed into slot 1. Remove the USB and either change the text file name back to "noforce" or delete the folder.

Well, tear off my lips....SUCCESS!

Am I having fun yet? I think so.

I need to catch up on some reading. I been spending too much time outdoors. So I wonder how I buggered it up in the first place? One day I was watching a live feed and then the next, I'm in a boot loop. The box has been working great for about 2 years straight with nary a hiccup.

Well THANKS gents! I'll have to flog the birds back in, but that's the fun part.

Harry

Just some feedback on the help I received here.

The thread that johnnynobody suggested didn't make any sense to me until I visited legitFTA.
TNAP was a mystery till I figured out what that meant. So, my initial search for help was good, it just didn't make any sense. Also, this was the first time I experienced a boot problem.

This is what happens when you don't make adjustments or play with the box for a couple of years. My dish has been working with this box just flawlessly, horizon to horizon, even with a warped dish.

Thanks again!

TNAP 3.2 was a major update and more stable than the original TNAP, which was preloaded on your STB. BTW... TNAP 4 is about to be released.

If you had another image installed, the STB could have be rebooted from a different slot using the Menu button rapid pressed during a power-up. As you only had one image installed in slot one, it had to be overwritten to recover. To install additional images in one of the remaining three slots, download and place a zipped multiboot image into a folder named "downloaded_images" on the top level of a USB thumbdrive. Insert the thumbdrive into the STB and perform a flash Update, selecting the downloaded_images folder and the desired image to install in slot 2, 3 or 4.

The "force" install method overwrites slot one, rather than installing an additional image in slot 2, 3 or 4.