EHD problems on H3 with U548?

Chuck14

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
Anybody else having EHD problems on their H3 in the last few days? I have a 3TB WD MyBook drive that I have been using for a year or so with no issues. My H3 is suddenly refusing to recognize it and says it needs to be reformatted. I don't know if it's something to do with U548 or just a coincidence. I tried powering off the EHD and the H3, waited for the H3 to boot up again and then connected the EHD again, same problem. :(

I have an H3 with IIRC 1.5TB EHD that I've had for years going back to my 722. It continues to work as advertised. But with the newly expanded limit to 7TB, I also installed my brand new 6TB Seagate (which I got for $80!) and that works also. The only issue I have with either of these disks is I can't have them plugged in simultaneously. :(

Reactions: charlesrshell
Could it be that previously the H3 only saw 2 TB of that drive and now it sees the third TB and is confused about whether the drive is formatted or not?

I have read that you can take another drive that is formatted by the H3 (empty) and copy the programs from the 3TB to the new drive with a Linux PC but I don't remember the details of which folder needs to be copied. Then you could format your 3TB drive to use the whole drive.Have to do some digging into old posts to see if I can find it.

It also may be that you just need to reboot the H3 and it will re-recognize the drive.

Could it be that previously the H3 only saw 2 TB of that drive and now it sees the third TB and is confused about whether the drive is formatted or not?
Not likely since the H3 has always seen and used ALL 3 TB of a 3 TB drive.

I've had that "needs to be reformatted" message come up a few times as well when connected my 1TB WD Mybook to the Hopper 3. Disconnecting it and reconnecting after a few seconds fixes it.

I have read that you can take another drive that is formatted by the H3 (empty) and copy the programs from the 3TB to the new drive with a Linux PC but I don't remember the details of which folder needs to be copied. Then you could format your 3TB drive to use the whole drive.Have to do some digging into old posts to see if I can find it.
I wrote about it in the U548 thread,
here: U548 - Post #28
and here: U548 - Post #13
and finally: U548 - Post #35

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)