EHD????

It is worth it for me. Every time the wife yells "Why did this thing change the channel. It won't let me turn it back/ Help!". I am thankful for the second Hopper that avoids that confrontation. Right now I am in transition and she is using my old Hopper until I can get all the recordings backed off to EHD, and there are still recordings set that tie up all three tuners at times like this morning. I thought I had deleted enough timers to avoid conflict, but obviously I missed some. I can't wait for that Jn udate to fix all the EHD problems.

Can someone explain why some shows have no problem being transferred to or from the EHD?
I don't know any correlation with names, sizes, age, how many at at time, etc.
Transfers from the EHD just stop and require a reset. Transfers to the EHD fault out but may not need a reset.
Those that would be a problem reading from the EHD can wait but requiring a reset stops viewing.

I've started a reorganization, switching from IMDb-rating based to alphabetic titles for the cross-EHD layout.
I've gotten tired of have the ratings changes forcing my moving large numbers of shows from disk to disk.
Ratings change but the names remain, mostly. IMDB did stop Library sort ignoring a, an, and the.
They wanted to make it uniform across languages, I believe. That's also the sort on the Dish DVRs.

If you've found a way around this nightmare, please give us your idea. I'm bamboozled.
Dish make it work, NOW. Not 2 weeks from now. One change at a time is better management.

-Ken

I can transfer individual shows, or a few, but much more than that and it simply stops, requiring a reboot of the Hopper. Apparently the USB on the Hopper locks up since merely changing the ports does not solve the problem. I could probably just copy one show at a time, but I'll wait for the update. I have been able to play individual shows, though.

Can someone explain why some shows have no problem being transferred to or from the EHD?
I don't know any correlation with names, sizes, age, how many at at time, etc.
Transfers from the EHD just stop and require a reset. Transfers to the EHD fault out but may not need a reset.
Those that would be a problem reading from the EHD can wait but requiring a reset stops viewing.

I've started a reorganization, switching from IMDb-rating based to alphabetic titles for the cross-EHD layout.
I've gotten tired of have the ratings changes forcing my moving large numbers of shows from disk to disk.
Ratings change but the names remain, mostly. IMDB did stop Library sort ignoring a, an, and the.
They wanted to make it uniform across languages, I believe. That's also the sort on the Dish DVRs.

If you've found a way around this nightmare, please give us your idea. I'm bamboozled.
Dish make it work, NOW. Not 2 weeks from now. One change at a time is better management.

-Ken

The number of shows transferred does not seem to matter.
I can do a dozen or more in one run and somewhere through that it will hang on one.
Reboot and try that one and it will always hang with 1 to 5 second or less left.
Do them one at a time and eventually it will find one to hang on.
The 5-sec remainder seems related to the time-left update interval of about 6 seconds.
I'm piling up shows retrieved from the EHD and will have to stop when the Hopper is full.
The shows can be newly recorded or 7 years old. Almost all are HD.
Some hang on EHD to Hopper and some on Hopper to EHD.
No rhyme or reason but if it sticks once it continues to do so, so it is not random.
This is for several EHDs that I have tried.
Hurry Dish, NOW. -Ken

Ken

I think the EHD was meant to be a marketing tool, not a useful subscriber tool.
People like you and I must be the anomaly. They never expected anyone to care about moving terabytes of programming from drive to drive.
I will show up on the exception reports once they get it fixed, I will see to it that I do. Maybe that will help to not break EHD transfers in the future.

Very embarrassing last night. Had guests over. Let one scroll thru EHD 2 listing to find a movie for us all to watch. Found it. Hit Start. Nothing. Another variation of the EHD bug! But EHD 1 worked fine, thankfully.

The number of shows transferred does not seem to matter.
I can do a dozen or more in one run and somewhere through that it will hang on one....
Ken, so far on my HWS with S330 I was able to transfer the entire third season of Homeland(12 eps) without any problems. I waited to do the transfer after reading all the problems with S328. At this point I don't have anything else to transfer. The fact that the basic function for having an EHD fails for so many people is just incredible. :(

Very embarrassing last night. Had guests over. Let one scroll thru EHD 2 listing to find a movie for us all to watch. Found it. Hit Start. Nothing. Another variation of the EHD bug! But EHD 1 worked fine, thankfully.
Be warned that some of the hangs on one drive will block the other drive from use. I've had both going and one hangs and the other stops too.
Got the Homeland series copied mostly before this problem but there are newer that await their home.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)