El Rey Network added to Dish

That's why I keep saying that if Dish wants to carry widescreen channels in SD, they need to carry them in widescreen rather than letterbox.

It's not that simple. Most SD content is 4x3. What then? Stretch it to fat-o-vision? Cut off the top and bottom like UP does with Growing Pains?

We have the technology to switch modes dynamically, so I don't see why some 4X3 content (commercials?) on an SD channel with predominantly 16x9 movies is somehow a showstopper. If they can't dynamically switch, then IMHO they should put up the side bars on the 4X3 content and it wouldn't picture frame the channel on our HDTVs. Picture framing is evil.

Reactions: osu1991
It's not that simple. Most SD content is 4x3. What then? Stretch it to fat-o-vision? Cut off the top and bottom like UP does with Growing Pains?

Uh, just leave the 4:3 as 4:3?

I'm not talking about content originating in 4:3 anyway, I'm talking about content originating in 16:9 HD. If you're going to present that in SD, we should have the option of receiving it in widescreen, NOT letterboxed. What they're doing with El Rey now looks like garbage.

Reactions: TheKrell
EL Ray definitely NEEDS to be in HD...

The SD picture quality, viewed on my plasma, is sooo soft and blurry, it's actually causing headaches... :(

I'm constantly squinting, to sharpen the picture, to no avail...

Probably the worse "looking" channel on Dish right now...

Blah...
I think most of the movies shown looked that way to begin with.

I think most of the movies shown looked that way to begin with.

Maybe...
but even the EL Rey logo in the corner of the screen is soft, blurry & hard to read...

It's a shame too... EL Rey is my type of channel...
Woulda been grrreat in college...

metoo i would like to see this channel added in HD let dish know about it remember the more requests you put for this channel in HD to dish the greater chances are you can get this channel in HD.

I got to watch the Lucha wrestling on El Rey yesterday. That was pretty cool. It was even in English so I could understand the announcers(unlike last time I watched it and had my roommate translate everything for me. She hates wrestling. Lol)

You can really see the post production used with Lucha Underground if you watch the El Rey and Uni Mas versions side by side... example Vampiro wearing different shirts during commentary shots, crowd chants edited (not sure which way around) and to a lesser extent camera angles. I've been outputting the El Rey audio while watching the Uni Mas video ...

It says it broadcasts in HD, but I cannot find a single provider that offers it in Hd for sure. Even Comcast(as part of their minority distribution deal) got it, but only on select systems, and same with TWC and Cox. Both Dish and Directv offer on all platforms, but only in Sd. The cable providers didn't list whether they were in HD or SD

Suddenlink cable in my area added it around the same time as Dish and they only offer it in SD.

Bumping...

I was visiting my father's house for a Christmas Eve overnight...

He happens to have Time Warner Cable...

Watched a whole slew of Old Godzilla movies on ElRey in HD while there... great, sharp picture...

After I get home, I throw on ELRey...

I know it's only available in SD, but man, the quality is so bad on Dish, it's like watching ELRey with gauze over my eyes...

There's got to be a way to increase the quality of ELRey so people don't get a headache while watching...

:(

Bumping...

There's got to be a way to increase the quality of ELRey so people don't get a headache while watching...

Buy a 4K tv.
The 4K fans swear it turns sub 4K content into better PQ then ever existed.............

The real answer is No!
But watching it in letter box/pillar box may help.
Smaller picture, but not as many flaws will be present.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: bobvick
Bumping...

I was visiting my father's house for a Christmas Eve overnight...

He happens to have Time Warner Cable...

Watched a whole slew of Old Godzilla movies on ElRey in HD while there... great, sharp picture...

After I get home, I throw on ELRey...

I know it's only available in SD, but man, the quality is so bad on Dish, it's like watching ELRey with gauze over my eyes...

El Rey looks even worse on DirecTV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)