Eliminating the SG2100 motor's pass-thru?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
South Carolina
I cannot find the thread that covered this, so I'll start a new inquiry:

What would be the proper way to bypass the pass through on a SG2100 motor?

There was a solution posted here with a splitter, but I never could figure out which splitter was being recommended.

I have to have a long cable between my 4x1 switch & the sg2100 & also have a very long cable between the switch and my Coolsat 4000.

There was a solution posted here with a splitter, but I never could figure out which splitter was being recommended.
You use a Diplexer with Power Passing on both ports. The Antenna port goes to the Motor.

There was a discussion on another forum, most of which was referenced here, but that was years ago.
Would be hard to search for, and was more complicated than recent ideas.

Pendragon posted his take on the idea, recently.
See that thread for encouragement.

You use a Diplexer with Power Passing on both ports. The Antenna port goes to the Motor.

There was a discussion on another forum, most of which was referenced here, but that was years ago.
Would be hard to search for, and was more complicated than recent ideas.

Pendragon posted his take on the idea, recently.
See that thread for encouragement.

Thanks guys:

To make sure I understand:

My signal chain from the motor/lnb to the receiver

lnb>HiBand
motor>Loband
diplex out> Port1 on switch

Cband on Port2 on switch

switchout>Coolsat 4000

Any problems with this scheme?

I think you're good. Just keep in mind that you can quickly burn-up Diseqc Switches when running motor current thru them.
Also, double check that you get a Diplexer that has Power Passing on both ports, most do not.

To avoid what Lak7 said about possibly burning up DiSEqC switches, you could change the setup as follows:

Code:
[FONT="Fixedsys"]
                      /Antenna port ====== Motor
Receiver === Diplexer<                                     /1 ==== Ku Lnb
                      \Satellite port ====== DiSEqC Switch<
                                                           \2 ==== C Lnb[/FONT]

This is what I do.

Last edited:
To avoid what Lak7 said about possibly burning up DiSEqC switches, you could change the setup as follows:

Code:
[FONT=Fixedsys]
                      /Antenna port ====== Motor
Receiver === Diplexer<                                     /1 ==== Ku Lnb
                      \Satellite port ====== DiSEqC Switch<
                                                           \2 ==== C Lnb[/FONT]
This is what I do.

AHH. Good idea Guapo. I should have seen that. Thanks.

Hey Lak7,

I reread Anole's posts in the thread which you supplied the link and he says there that the garden variety diplexer with power passing on the satellite side only works. Could that be correct??

Dunno. Can't see how the Motor will get power though.

EDIT: I see the line you read.
Did you see the drawing, where he has a separate Power Inserter?

Dunno. Can't see how the Motor will get power though.

EDIT: I see the line you read.
Did you see the drawing, where he has a separate Power Inserter?

No I didn't b/c I was looking at the posts on my work computer, which for whatever reason, blocks many images. I'm going to look again. Thanks.

I don 't see any diagram that was drawn by Anole showing any power insertion or any diagram by Anole at all. I only see Pendragon's internal mod pics.

some confusion:

It's been a while since I read Pendragon's thread.
I just dredged it up for reference material.

I think Pen modified the motor, and may have talked about a power inserter as an alternate approach.
I may have offered that a non-power-passing diplexer may work with an inserter or a motor mod.
In retrospect, it (the diplexer) may not pass 22khz on the low-band (antenna) side if it doesn't pass DC.
That would need to be tested.

However, there are actually several variations of the idea, and you only need to use one:
- motor mod like Pendragon
- motor mod as published for the 2100 on another hack site many years ago
- power inserter (I believe Pendragon discussed such in the reference thread or one where he talked about running a motor from several receivers)
- diplexer with power passing on both ports.

Ya don't necessarily have to combine any of the above ideas.

The motor mod was intended to use a power supply to drive the motor that was separate from the receiver. It still needed a diplexer to separate the motor commands from the LNB path. If you're happy with using the receiver to drive the motor, then you can skip the mod and just use the diplexer. Receivers should be able to supply the power, but the mod was convenient for a variety of reasons in my setup.

The dual power-passing diplexer I use is the Perfect Vision PVDP-2PP. It's a few bucks at a number of places on the web; I believe satpro.tv and techtoolsupply.com both have carried it in the past.

Thanks Dudes!

I will try what I have on hand first, which is the normal diplexer that passes dc on the "sat" side only. Then, if that doesn't work, I'll search for one that passes DC on both sides.

I'd prefer not to have to run a separate power supply to the motor because its location is basically about 100 ft from anything. And my particular reason for wanting to bypass the motor's pass-thru is that it definitely degrades the signal significantly.

The motor mod was intended to use a power supply to drive the motor that was separate from the receiver. It still needed a diplexer to separate the motor commands from the LNB path. If you're happy with using the receiver to drive the motor, then you can skip the mod and just use the diplexer. Receivers should be able to supply the power, but the mod was convenient for a variety of reasons in my setup.

The dual power-passing diplexer I use is the Perfect Vision PVDP-2PP. It's a few bucks at a number of places on the web; I believe satpro.tv and techtoolsupply.com both have carried it in the past.

OK Guys,

I just ordered the PVDP-2PP for $9 shipped, so I should get it Friday or Saturday. I hope the scheme works...:)

Sorry I am a little confused. Is the worry the load the motor places on the receiver or signal loss of the LNB signal passing through the motor connection? Does the 2100 attenuate the signal more than a diplexer would? I haven't thought about this very deeply but would have thought that both would cause a couple db loss. I am curious as I am rewiring my FTA setup that includes a 2100. Thanks....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts