Ellen DeGeneres joins 'Idol' as fourth judge

What does she know about singing? GMAFB
She has ears! You or I could go be a judge and say "you sounded good," or "too nasal," or "that was horrible."

OT, but I can't believe this show is still going.....maybe losing Paula Abdul will send it into a rapid decline? It's gotta happen sometime, right?

I think Ellen has such a huge female following, it might help the ratings. Not that I will ever watch it.

I think it will be interesting at first but do not think this was a good choice. I guess only time will tell though. She probably don't know much about singing but maybe they wanted a judge on there that didn't know about singing that would make it more interesting and get an opinion from someone that does not know about it which would more reflect the audience. I would have never expected Ellen as a choice though.

It's an absurd choice. She's not a singer or a musician, or a songwriter. When Queen Latifah was mentioned as a possible 4th judge, I thought it might be interesting, what with her having a singing/songwriting/acting background.

The show is about singing talent. Not acting or comedy (per se). I think it's an entirely wrong choice and it won't help the show. They should've just stuck with three judges (and possibly an occasional guest judge). That way, they wouldn't have the time-management issues they had last season...

I'm not a singer, but I can tell you Miley Cyrus can't sing for diddly.;)

I'm not a singer, but I can tell you Miley Cyrus can't sing for diddly.;)

True, but not my point. All the other judges are, in some fashion, professionals in the music industry...making them generally more qualified than either you or I to determine who has genuine musical talent and who doesn't. Where/how does that qualification apply to Ellen? Not at all...

Maybe they had low ratings in the homebound lesbian daytime talk show demographic? Maybe her backup will be Rosie ODonnell.

Maybe they had low ratings in the homebound lesbian daytime talk show demographic? Maybe her backup will be Rosie ODonnell.

For some sick reason the image I see when I think of these two in the same room: Ellen doing her little coffee table stradle dance she does ,except it is over Rosie's face while she is lying down on the floor. YUUCCKKKK!!!!!!:eek:

Ellen may not actually be "judging" anything this season. According to Fox, "DeGeneres will join the judges' panel after the auditions".

With regard to DeGeneres' qualifications as a judge, perhaps the best indicator of that was that she was recently included in Forbes' Top 5 "Most Influential Women in Media". This goes hand-in-glove with the fact that she's executive producer of The Ellen Degeneres Show, and in that capacity she has a significant amount of impact on the careers of musical guests who are invited to her show. For example, Colbie Caillat will appear on tomorrow's show. DeGeneres surely has more impact on the careers of musical acts, today, than Paula did, so in that context, she's a significant step-up with regard to influence within the music industry.

Of course, the most important aspect that DeGeneres brings to American Idol is her ability to make people (in this case, contestants) feel comfortable, to act as cheerleader, and to lighten the mood. These are things that Paula continually tried to do, but did so in such a clueless and often mindless way that she had the opposite impact. DeGeneres, by contrast, is a master at that sort of thing.

True, but not my point. All the other judges are, in some fashion, professionals in the music industry...making them generally more qualified than either you or I to determine who has genuine musical talent and who doesn't. Where/how does that qualification apply to Ellen? Not at all...

They are? Could have fooled me. :) What are they? I could have sworn I have seen that fat dude hawking something in ads, maybe he is the next Ed McMahon? The next Billy (whatever that dude's name was that screamed out the ads)? Pandering anything and everything?

Hey, we are talking FOX, where shock value is favored over anything else. If the ratings fall, maybe FOX will have an episode with Rosie and Ellen mud wrestling for Paula? :D

Didn't watch Idol before, still won't watch it.:rolleyes:

Same here, have seen a bit of it over the years and it has all the appeal of shows like Jerry "I'll just pay her with a cold check" Springer's show to me. Don't watch Springer and Idol has the same appeal to me, but then apparently lots of others like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)