end of arc problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

macgod79

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 3, 2011
Nc
Hey guys for awhile now I've been trying to tune up my dish.I get most of the stuff out there.I do have a few problems with some stuff.I don't get the retro mux on 87 west and most of the signal has been bad lately,(this tv & me tv).I get nasa there at 70 quality but I used to get it at 74 75.the galaxy 28 stuff is fine.I get the cw and cbs feed and the pbs net there so I think I'm good there.galaxy 17 and galaxy 3c and getting everthing but the abc nets on 3c. I'm good till I get to amc 4, been have trouble locking bio some times. Amc 1 I get ions and that movie channel lol,and pbsx so again good.nbc at 105 I'm getting sometimes.I start having trouble when I get to amc 10 and the ones after that. Its like I get some stuff but don't get some others.like the hsn hd I just got but its weak and amc 7 is real bad even on the gci stuff.what is off that is making the later part of my arc not as good.I don't really go to the east side of my arc past 72 so don't know if its set right.ideas guys

What equipment are you using? It would help to have your system components listed in your signature. That way ppl would know what you are working with.

Sometimes the dish will move around over time so check your mounting post to make sure it's still plumb. Start with due south and check elevation by lifting up and pushing down on the bottom of the dish to see if there is an increase in Q. If there is, then you need to do some tweaking, probably on elevation. Go west out to around 133 or 139W and do the same thing and see what you get. If it's off there then it's likely that you need to rotate the dish on the post. When I do this I use a machinist dial indicator as it's awfully difficult to move those things small amounts without one especially since you have to have some tension on the mast bolts in order to make everything stay put when you tighten the bolts down that last time.

It really makes things simpler if you have a way to use a monitor and receiver out at the dish. That way you can see what's happening real time.

I'm using a wsi 6ft special with a powermax 24 and a openbox.it works good just recently though amc 3 started having problems. What quality do you guys get on the amc 7 satellite.I went out yesterday and my south is 76 so I moved the dish to amc 3 to try and see if I could fix the quality on it. I tried moving the dish on the pole ever so slightly.I see you say I should tried to move the elevation up and down when I'm at amc 3(87) and move the dish left and right when I'm at amc 7(135).I had marked it with a pen so its back where it was. Is that the right thing to do? Is it possible to get the rtv mux on amc 7?

Lifting up and pushing down on the dish when it's out at 133, 135, 137W will tell you the same thing as it does when you're at due south only but instead of fooling with elevation there you probably would need to rotate the dish on the post ever so slightly.

AMC7 3760 H 25190 gives me 95% S and 64% Q on my 7.5ft SAMI dish with an AZBox Elite and thats the only TP I can pick up with that system. On my Winegard 10 footer I can get a bunch including RTV and Tuff TV. Dish size means a lot on Cband stuff and you may not have enough!

Works alright near the center but performance drops off on the ends. On a previously perfectly aligned dish, only the Azimuth needs adjusting. Although, this can also be caused by declination being off. To check for this, Adjust elevation (at your most south satellite only) put a reference mark on the mount and adjust your azimuth on one side of the arc and transfer the reference mark, on the mount, to the pole. Then repeat on the other side of the arc. If the reference mark doesn't align with the first mark on the pole. transfer the reference to the pole. Adjust declination a bit, and elevation at center, and repeat. To goal is to get the two marks(east azimuth adjustment and west azimuth adjustment) on the pole to align. If the marks on the pole spread apart, you've adjusted the declination opposite of what declination adjustment is needed.............Being there is inherent inaccuracy in measuring declination,(or any angle on a BUD) no mater how expensive the tool used. The Dec. Alignment procedure will almost always result in gains in performance.
If your using a BUD on Ku, i'd call it a mandatory procedure, because of the narrow beamwidth.
BTW: AMC7- 72Q on 4161, 75 on 3760 on the Openbox, 10ft, DMX241.

Thanks guys. It is more than likely my declination is off.I'm sure I can't get everything doesn't hurt to try.I've been getting some of the cbs s2 on galaxy 19 so I should be able to at least get a weak rtv tv signal on amc 7 lol

Mac, I rarely get the RTV stuff at either end. Even with my 8 footer seems like some of the weaker stuff doesn't stay locked. When I changed from a six to eight foot dish it helped but didn't overcome all the weak signal issues. I'd try tweaking it a little and see what happens but don't be surprised if you don't see much change. Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts