Enigma2 Hidden Services

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
One of the things over the years that has consumed some time is trying to hide services. Example, when i scan 91w Nimiq6, i get those hundreds of Bell TV channels. Other than the free preview channels, its ALL encrypted, and those huge volume of channels just throws me off trying to find the FEED channels that pop up on 91w Galaxy17. I know the Nimiq6 channels are circular, but my Linear pulls many of the transponders in regardless.

I use DreamBox edit as my channel editor and the program falls short in a few places. One of them being, i cannot select multiple services and mark them all HIDDEN. I have to do it 1 channel at a time. Talk about massive time waste! I can select multiple services in DreamBox edit and modify certain flags, but not the hidden flag!! I can however select multiple channels and edit the package name on them. So, i can select all my channels i want hidden, and include within the package name the string ' [hidden] ' . I then save it. I then wrote a program that scans the lamedb file (enigma2 service list) and flag all the package descriptions with the string [hidden] with the hidden flag, and then writes it back to lamedb. I then tell dreambox edit to reload the lamedb i just modified and sure enough, all the services that have the [hidden] text are now marked as hidden services, and then i update it to the STB.

The only last thing to remember is the KEEP flag must be set, that way the names/package names don't get modified on additional service scans. Now that i can easily hide the services i don't care about, it is a LOT easier for me to catch the FEED channels that scan in as i am no longer cluttered with 100's of useless service channels.

I just did a blind scan on 91w. I pulled in 302 services, but being 99% of the services are hidden, i now can quickly see that two new feed channels have appeared as i am no long cluttered with the 100's of fixed channels i don't care about.

CMS Master Control
Path1

One of the things over the years that has consumed some time is trying to hide services. Example, when i scan 91w Nimiq6, i get those hundreds of Bell TV channels. Other than the free preview channels, its ALL encrypted, and those huge volume of channels just throws me off trying to find the FEED channels that pop up on 91w Galaxy17. I know the Nimiq6 channels are circular, but my Linear pulls many of the transponders in regardless.

I use DreamBox edit as my channel editor and the program falls short in a few places. One of them being, i cannot select multiple services and mark them all HIDDEN. I have to do it 1 channel at a time. Talk about massive time waste! I can select multiple services in DreamBox edit and modify certain flags, but not the hidden flag!! I can however select multiple channels and edit the package name on them. So, i can select all my channels i want hidden, and include within the package name the string ' [hidden] ' . I then save it. I then wrote a program that scans the lamedb file (enigma2 service list) and flag all the package descriptions with the string [hidden] with the hidden flag, and then writes it back to lamedb. I then tell dreambox edit to reload the lamedb i just modified and sure enough, all the services that have the [hidden] text are now marked as hidden services, and then i update it to the STB.

The only last thing to remember is the KEEP flag must be set, that way the names/package names don't get modified on additional service scans. Now that i can now easily hide the services i don't care about, it is a LOT easier for me to catch the FEED channels that scan in as i am no longer cluttered with 100's of useless service channels.

I just did a blind scan on 91w. I pulled in 302 services, but being 99% of the services are hidden, i now can quickly see that two new feed channels have appeared as i am no long cluttered with the 100's of fixed channels i don't care about.

CMS Master Control
Path1
Nice tip! :)

Reactions: iBoston
Huh? If you can't and never will be able to watch the channels why hide them?
I use E-Channelizer and once I see channels are Nagra, DC2, and all that stuff they get deleted.
Or selecting the tp delete that.
Tell me. Why would you wish to hide a channel you can never get in the first place unless you find that they are in preview mode for a few days or a week?

Reactions: primestar31
Using Edision on 91W, I always blind scan for transponders rather than channels. Then I select only tps below 12200 MHz to scan in ignoring tps above 12200. I also created a separate satellite profile for 91W Nimiq and scanned all transponders above 12200 into this satellite just because I like to scan everything receivable whether it's watchable or not.

Huh? If you can't and never will be able to watch the channels why hide them?
I use E-Channelizer and once I see channels are Nagra, DC2, and all that stuff they get deleted.
Or selecting the tp delete that.
Tell me. Why would you wish to hide a channel you can never get in the first place unless you find that they are in preview mode for a few days or a week?

If i delete them, the next time i do a blind scan, they re-appear. If i hide them, they will no further be popping up to bother me. Usually they are encrypted channels that I have no interest in seeing. It is a way of de-cluttering so when i do a blind scan, i am not bombarded with channels i don't want to see. I am aware i can delete the TP's i don't like and then just scan the existing TP's, but that won't catch the random new TP's that are only found with Blind-scans.

Cyberhams idea of selecting only certain range of TP's is a good idea, but those are not the only types of channels i hide. That example of Nimiq6 was just the big one. I have other Encrypted channels that are not frequency separated that i prefer to hide.

I used to feel the same way as Cyberham in regards to if there was a signal , i wanted to see it. But, i have moved away from every signal, and now i am more interested in seeing every signal out there that is ITC, regardless of whether i watch it or not.

Also, when i hide them, they are still in my channel editor, so if for some reason, i read a post which refers to one of my hidden channels which peaks my interest, its as easy as going into the channel editor and removing the hidden flag, plus, i can see all hidden services within the channel editor, so I can still see them, and name them and have them at hand, but they just won't show up on the STB. For the way i do things, which everyone is different, this works for me.

I believe that explains my reasoning...

Reactions: arlo and FTA4PA
I would say your lnb is drifting. Not lately, but I used to have a dish pointed at 91. On a blind scan it sometimes got the first transponder on Bell. I think it was 12224. I might have got the second transponder, not sure. Anyway I never got all the transponders you are getting on your blind scan.
Catamount

I would say your lnb is drifting. Not lately, but I used to have a dish pointed at 91. On a blind scan it sometimes got the first transponder on Bell. I think it was 12224. I might have got the second transponder, not sure. Anyway I never got all the transponders you are getting on your blind scan.
Catamount
I experience spring/fall "drift" on my 12 footer. Once I smarted up, adjusting the declination brought signal levels up.
It's a pita, yes. It's a tightly focused dish and for example. 131W signals dropped a lot in the past few weeks. So I need to adjust the dec. Found that out by grabbing the dish rim and pushing it or pulling it while looking at my signal finder app.