Epix & Dish in Talks

I'm with some of the others here.

I have Dish Network and premium movie networks and as result will probably not buy a Blu-ray player. It's just easier and there's more variety. I'd either have to have Netflix and set aside time to watch the rentals, or I'd have to buy Blu-ray discs I may only play once or twice. Instead I have HBO, Starz and Penny Cinemax, as well as HD.

Yeah I tend to discuss legal methods to handling my movie interests in open forum. Maybe I'm just funny that way.

I've nothing wrong with paying, I just think Blu-ray discs are expensive and rental services are tedious. By paying Dish a monthly fee it's just 'there' and I can decide to watch something at 3 in the morning.

Marketing

Dont know why E* couldn't start a series of commercials outlining their superiority in the HD movie arena compared to anyone else (with E*, we get 23 HD movie premiums [if you count MGM - which has gone to inserting a promo break in the middle of their movies], and can only get 5 from Time Warner Austin). Tie it into 'the economy' and how you can get all of the movie premiums all day long all month lonng for less than what it costs two people (a couple) to go the movies ONCE with 2 sodas, a bag of popcorn, juju bees, and a junior mints.

That would assume that thye had a real marketing department.

I'd either have to have Netflix and set aside time to watch the rentals, or I'd have to buy Blu-ray discs I may only play once or twice. Instead I have HBO, Starz and Penny Cinemax, as well as HD.
You don't have to set aside time to watch movies on HBO / Starz?

Netflix is less expensive than HBO + Starz for the 3 out plan, you can build up a queue of only movies you want to watch, and you also get unlimited access to their 'Watch Instantly' movies that you can watch on a PC hooked up to a TV, or an X-box, or a Roku box, or a game console + PlayOn. You don't need to make time to watch the movies either -- if you happen to have a disc that sits for a few weeks before you get to it there is no problem.

I have the $0.01 Cinemax package but I rarely watch it because I've embraced the DVR mentality of only watching things I really want to see, not just settling for what happens to be on.

It's great if you happen to like movie channels, but there is a significant overlap in what the existing channels already show. We have AMC, IFC, TCM, Lifetime Movie Network, Encore, Starz, The Movie Channel, HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, HDNet Movies, MGM and movies shown on networks like FX and MTV.

I'd really rather Dish use the transponder space for something like additional HD feeds for regional sports nets, because satellite / cable providers are the only possible place to get that programming in HD.

You don't have to set aside time to watch movies on HBO / Starz?

It's a little different. HBO/Starz is just there with a good spread of movies across channels, including reruns of things I've not seen in years (and may have forgotten about) in the early hours of the morning. If I rented a movie from Netflix, it may be sitting collecting dust for months or year before I get around to it, assuming I could make selections of things to rent. I may not think to rent Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but I did watch it a few weeks back.

HBO and Starz comes into my home along with other channels (Penny Cinemax, HDNet/HDNetM, etc.) that amount hundreds of movies each week. I don't have to pick anything, it's just 'there'. I may be willing to watch movies that are on without committing to them using a rental program.

For instance, I thought Ali G Indahouse was a riot, but I would've never rented it through a rental service. Yes I am aware it's available on Netflix streaming, though last I saw it wasn't available in HD streaming. I also watched Stepbrothers this past week.

I was a Netflix customer when they first launched, and I subscribed again when the Xbox service came out. MOST of the good movies are not on the streaming service. The idea is great, don't get me wrong, but as long as they're restricted from streaming a significant amount of movies, it's not worth the money. Some movies are allowed to stream to PC that cannot be streamed to Xbox as well. If Microsoft offered an "All you can eat" of their streaming content on the Xbox Live service, I'd consider paying for such a thing... The PQ from what I've seen is quite good for their HD and SD stuff and they have a deeper assortment of content.

I use Hulu with Playon. I bought it during when Playon was doing their discount promotion a few months ago. It's cool for what it is.

Assuming you can find a movie worth watching on Netflix streaming, if you want it in HD, you need to have at least an 8mb pipe. Seeing as those buttheads at TW couldn't deliver me anywhere near their 15/3 commercial service I attempted to pay 90 a month for, and my DSL carrier does 5/1 (since I'm 15K feet away from the CO), that's just not going to happen.

I'd really rather Dish use the transponder space for something like additional HD feeds for regional sports nets, because satellite / cable providers are the only possible place to get that programming in HD.

I'm not interested in watching minor league and reruns. There isn't exactly a deep blend of content on CSNNE or NESN and I get the major games in HD. I'd like my locals in HD but that hasn't happened yet.

WRONG. Thats about as intelligent as saying "Real sports fans see it in person and dont watch it on satellite"... yeah ok

If I could afford to take time off work and afford the air fare and hotels to fly to Baton Rouge, Minneapolis, New Orleans, etc. all the time to watch the Tigers, Jaguars, Gophers and Saints play every game, I would definitely do that rather than watching it on the boob tube -- high definition or not. That's a terrible analogy.

IMHO, the Netflix/Redbox vs. premiums is about letting HBO/Starz/Showtime control your schedule (even with DVR's, they still play what they chose to play and when) vs. you. That's what I meant. It wasn't even a snobby PQ/AQ thing.

If I could afford to take time off work and afford the air fare and hotels to fly to Baton Rouge, Minneapolis, New Orleans, etc. all the time to watch the Tigers, Jaguars, Gophers and Saints play every game, I would definitely do that rather than watching it on the boob tube -- high definition or not. That's a terrible analogy.

IMHO, the Netflix/Redbox vs. premiums is about letting HBO/Starz/Showtime control your schedule (even with DVR's, they still play what they chose to play and when) vs. you. That's what I meant. It wasn't even a snobby PQ/AQ thing.
That makes sense, I just hate it when people always say well D* has all these sports channels/packages etc. Like everyone watches sports. Dont get me wrong, when its play off time I watch NBA but those are on TNT, so for me personally I do choose what provider Im with based on the premium movie channels and I cannot understand why D* would not want to capture those customers (not that they need them). Point is theres allot of us that dont have to have NFL ST, MLB EI, MLB Channel, etc.

1080P

If I were Epix and Dish I would be the first to offer a 24x7 1080P channel.
If Dish cant do it live via the dish, then at least offer free 1080P on demand moves.

I would pay for this. it would be something no one else had.

1080P

If I were Epix and Dish I would be the first to offer a 24x7 1080P channel.
If Dish cant do it live via the dish, then at least offer free 1080P on demand moves.

I would pay for this. it would be something no one else had.

I don't believe ANYBODY has the capability to air a 24/7 1080P live channel. VOD is the only way right now.

Then lets have Free 1080P video on demand downloads with this new movie package.

We can all download them at night.

I just saying right now there is no good reason to pay extra for yet an other movie channel. If they gave us some 1080P options of some kind here and there it would be worth it.

They could call the the Epic Blue Ray channel or something. Or Epic Blue Ray on Demand

bobj2004, here would never be such thing as free for full 1080p downloads like that. the bandwidth that would be required to support who knows how many downloads a day would have to be paid. dish will then have to pass that cost onto the consumer.

this is probably he reason why dishonline is so basic compared to cable on demand. and also why dish doesnt seem to push or market dishonline. they probably dont have an IT infrastructure capable of handling vod it were done in the manner and popularity cable users do.

I just saying right now there is no good reason to pay extra for yet an other movie channel. If they gave us some 1080P options of some kind here and there it would be worth it.

If they have exclusive content and have exclusive contracts with movies studios (which reports say they will have), then there is good reason.

If this channel played new, unedited, movies without commercials during the movies in a basic package I don't see how it could not become a hit. Like Encore with movies you actually want to watch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)